Recalled/Assigned: Sharks Recalls 2015-16 Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Paul Gackle @GackleReport
#SJSharks have recalled Barclay Goodrow from @sjbarracuda

I thought Smith had earned a call up but this works. Hopefully Goodrow will get to play tomorrow sending Brown back to the press box.

I'm not at all surprised. It seems like Smith apparently pissed in DeBoer's wheaties or something, so I would be shocked at this point if he gets a call up to the NHL at all, barring several injuries at once making calling him up unavoidable. Besides, Goodrow wasn't at all bad for us last year. I think he'll do just fine in a 3rd or 4th line role. He certainly will be a big upgrade from Brown. Then again, my nearly 70 year old mother would probably be a big upgrade over Brown.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I'm not at all surprised. It seems like Smith apparently pissed in DeBoer's wheaties or something, so I would be shocked at this point if he gets a call up to the NHL at all, barring several injuries at once making calling him up unavoidable. Besides, Goodrow wasn't at all bad for us last year. I think he'll do just fine in a 3rd or 4th line role. He certainly will be a big upgrade from Brown. Then again, my nearly 70 year old mother would probably be a big upgrade over Brown.

I'm not really either (though he's done everything DeBoer has asked of him and then some in the AHL) and it's too bad, he's been a good player in the past and has been outstanding since joining the Barracuda. Once the TDL has passed, if the have the cap space there is no reason not to have him around as the 13th F dropping Brown to the 14th/not seeing the ice again spot.

I'm good with Goodrow coming up, if he plays hopefully he & Tierney can rediscover some of that chemistry they've shown on and off over the past 16 or so months.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Calling it right now. Smith will be in the ahl for the ahl playoffs instead of the nhl playoffs.

Because wilson will wilson.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Calling it right now. Smith will be in the ahl for the ahl playoffs instead of the nhl playoffs.

Because wilson will wilson.

I agree that Smith deserves to be in the NHL, and I really hope we can move him in a future considerations deal because he could be really good for some team, but this is not something to blame Wilson for. He's a 4th liner at best.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I agree that Smith deserves to be in the NHL, and I really hope we can move him in a future considerations deal because he could be really good for some team, but this is not something to blame Wilson for. He's a 4th liner at best.

Wilson is the one that does the transactions for the team. As much as every one wants to blame the coaching staff wilson is the one who builds and can enforce who is played on a daily basis.

The fact that brown has played 30+ more games then smith is absolutely BS. And that falls directly on wilson and wilson only.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Wilson has stated in multiple interviews that he is not in charge of callups or lineup decisions.

He is the general manager of the team. If he doesn't have control of the call ups or demotions then he is a failure in that alone.

Obviously he should not have full control over who plays every night. But he should have control over who is in the nhl or who is in the ahl.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Could the smith thing be a combo of health waivers and cap? If he comes up now, wingels will come back and send him down again and he'd have the clear waivers. I doubt teams would pass on him since his concussion issues seem gone.

Not sure of waiver/cap stuff for playoff call ups.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Generally speaking, DeBoer & Sommer will talk and figure out who should be called up, likely with some input from DW but it's more or less DeBoer's call on who he wants.

Then he is a neutered (sp) GM. And really needs to go.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
He is the general manager of the team. If he doesn't have control of the call ups or demotions then he is a failure in that alone.

Obviously he should not have full control over who plays every night. But he should have control over who is in the nhl or who is in the ahl.

Yeah, he should have control, but unless there's some overriding other concern (impending trade, needing to slide the ELC like with Goldobin), Wilson is going to call up and send down whoever DeBoer asks him to. If DeBoer wanted Smith in the NHL instead of the AHL, he'd be there. We may not agree with the decision, but in no way would I blame it on Wilson. (and I've long been on record as part of the anti-Wilson crowd, so I feel like I need to go take a shower now after defending him... :laugh: ) So, there has to be something going on behind the scenes that we're just not aware of that's causing Smith to be permanently in the AHL.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Could the smith thing be a combo of health waivers and cap? If he comes up now, wingels will come back and send him down again and he'd have the clear waivers. I doubt teams would pass on him since his concussion issues seem gone.

He would not have to clear waivers to come back up. He then has something like 30 days or (not sure about the amount of games but i am guessing it is 15 games ).

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

He would be exempt from waivers until he either played in 10 games or was on the roster for 30 days.

If he was just gonna be up until Wingels was back the cap wouldn't be an issue.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Then he is a neutered (sp) GM. And really needs to go.

Yeah, no. GMs obviously have the final say over whether or not a given player is called up or sent down, but I think you'd have to look very hard to find a GM that wouldn't call up or send down exactly who the head coach says he wants sent up or sent down in 95% of all cases. There'd have to be some other overriding reason like not burning an ELC, or there would have to be a Baalke vs. Harbaugh level of acrimonious disconnect between the two for a GM to refuse to call up someone the coach wanted.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

I totally disagree with this. The GM should acquire players for the coach to use, and do his best to have ample resources for the coach to utilize. The coach should be the one deciding who plays. Part of deciding who plays determines who's in the NHL or AHL.

Imo the only time the GM should nix player movement is when it affects the cap or contracts of young players on ELC's. However if tomorrow Deboer thinks his team needs Goldobin to play, because he wants another offensively gifted forward, instead of someone like Lerg for example, the GM shouldn't stop him for doing that, even if he doesn't agree it will improve the team.

This same logic applies to owners and GMs. Any owner that stops, or forces his GM to acquire a player, IMO is a bad owner. Unless the GM is doing something the owner explicitly said he's not ok with, such as going over an internal cap, or offering contracts the GM and owner have previously discussed they won't give out.

In short, the owner should trust his GM to acquire the right players,the GM should trust his coach to utilize them properly.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I totally disagree with this. The GM should acquire players for the coach to use, and do his best to have ample resources for the coach to utilize. The coach should be the one deciding who plays. Part of deciding who plays determines who's in the NHL or AHL.

Imo the only time the GM should nix player movement is when it affects the cap or contracts of young players on ELC's. However if tomorrow Deboer thinks his team needs Goldobin to play, because he wants another offensively gifted forward, instead of someone like Lerg for example, the GM shouldn't stop him for doing that, even if he doesn't agree it will improve the team.

This same logic applies to owners and GMs. Any owner that stops, or forces his GM to acquire a player, IMO is a bad owner. Unless the GM is doing something the owner explicitly said he's not ok with, such as going over an internal cap, or offering contracts the GM and owner have previously discussed they won't give out.

In short, the owner should trust his GM to acquire the right players,the GM should trust his coach to utilize them properly.

But in any sort of form or reality the coach in this situation is not utilizing them properly. At 0 point in the season should a player as useless as brown should be playing 30+ games more then a player like smith.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
But in any sort of form or reality the coach in this situation is not utilizing them properly. At 0 point in the season should a player as useless as brown should be playing 30+ games more then a player like smith.

This is why I said there must be some behind the scenes situation going on that we're just simply unaware of. At an objective look from the outside, sure, he seems like he'd be better than Brown. But given how well DeBoer has done in most of his other decisions, I don't think he's burying Smith for no reason or out of pure spite. So, since Smith is obviously buried, there has to be SOMETHING going on, but speculating as to what would be pointless.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
This is why I said there must be some behind the scenes situation going on that we're just simply unaware of. At an objective look from the outside, sure, he seems like he'd be better than Brown. But given how well DeBoer has done in most of his other decisions, I don't think he's burying Smith for no reason or out of pure spite. So, since Smith is obviously buried, there has to be SOMETHING going on, but speculating as to what would be pointless.

someone needs to go deep deep inside

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I'm not sure if Goodrow got on a plane to St. Louis yesterday or not but he's been shipped back to the Barracuda with the Sharks needing a roster spot to add Polak & Spaling.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm not sure if Goodrow got on a plane to St. Louis yesterday or not but he's been shipped back to the Barracuda with the Sharks needing a roster spot to add Polak & Spaling.

Pretty sure he did, as he did not play in Stockton Sunday.

Still need a second roster spot. Wingels put on IR.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Pretty sure he did, as he did not play in Stockton Sunday.

Still need a second roster spot. Wingels put on IR.

Wingels was put on IR (You changed that quickly :))

I'd imagine they'll either be waiving, reassigning or trading a d-man pretty soon as they're unlikely to carry 8 for too long.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wingels was put on IR (You changed that quickly :))

I'd imagine they'll either be waiving, reassigning or trading a d-man pretty soon as they're unlikely to carry 8 for too long.

DeMelo is waiver exempt so I'd expect him to be reassigned.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
DeMelo is waiver exempt so I'd expect him to be reassigned.

Ya, I figured that or ship out Tennyson for a late round pick.

I was no fan of DeMelo's game in the AHL and didn't think there was much there with him but his play over the past 5ish weeks has impressed me and he and Dillon seemed to be getting better together game by game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad