Recalled/Assigned: Sharks Recalls 2015-16 Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Perhaps they need their 7th D man as someone's nursing an injury?

Practice in an hour.

Cundari is back so the Barracuda have (at least) 6 their d-men available. They needed Tennyson because they were a D short.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Cundari is back so the Barracuda have (at least) 6 their d-men available. They needed Tennyson because they were a D short.

Could it be that Tenny was nursing an injury, but could have played if needed and that's why the conditioning stint and DeMelo playing so much?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Could it be that Tenny was nursing an injury, but could have played if needed and that's why the conditioning stint and DeMelo playing so much?

I doubt it. I think Tennyson lost the #6 spot to DeMelo & they just wanted to get Tennyson some ice time and this was a good time to do it.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Apparently Tierney will be staying in the AHL. Stalock will be back Thursday.

I don't like this move (new 4th line is 27-9-18) even a little bit from a coach who has been complaining that he can't roll 4 lines.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston

I don't like this move (new 4th line is 27-9-18) even a little bit from a coach who has been complaining that he can't roll 4 lines.

Gross. And here I was thinking Ben Smith would draw into the lineup instead. :help:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Gross. And here I was thinking Ben Smith would draw into the lineup instead. :help:

At this point it's quite clear they don't want him on the wing (or maybe in general) even though that's where he played some of his best hockey in CHI.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's just not Sharks hockey without Mike Brown. In reality, Mike Brown is Sharks hockey incarnate.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

It depends on how long he stays down there, but I dont mind him getting some top line time and confidence in his goal scoring etc.

based on their overall play

27-50-57

isnt light years ahead of

27-9-18

I mean tierney with wingels/nieto/donskoi/brown in the minutes together is hanging around 20-25% GF% thats trash. Zubrus has a smaller sample size with those guys, but it does admittedly look better on the goals front. Even the CF% looks better between the two. granted zubus sees top line time but his differential looks a lot better with all of those players.

so its not as big of a let down as you might think.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
It depends on how long he stays down there, but I dont mind him getting some top line time and confidence in his goal scoring etc.

based on their overall play

27-50-57

isnt light years ahead of

27-9-18

I mean tierney with wingels/nieto/donskoi/brown in the minutes together is hanging around 20-25% GF% thats trash. Zubrus has a smaller sample size with those guys, but it does admittedly look better on the goals front. Even the CF% looks better between the two. granted zubus sees top line time but his differential looks a lot better with all of those players.

so its not as big of a let down as you might think.

The drop in the level of play from the 4th line when you replace Tierney with Brown is sizable in my opinion.

They also lose a good PKer and have to shorten the bench fairly often half way through the 2nd period, sometimes earlier.

For a team that's struggling to find consistency every little extra advantage helps.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The drop in the level of play from the 4th line when you replace Tierney with Brown is sizable in my opinion.

They also lose a good PKer and have to shorten the bench fairly often half way through the 2nd period, sometimes earlier.

For a team that's struggling to find consistency every little extra advantage helps.

I didnt want to believe it, but heres the stats

when tierney plays with brown hes hanging at 46% CF when hes away from brown he actually gets worse.

zubrus does well in posession with brown at 53%.

Nieto has been a huge drag on possession all year and probably needs to see the press box. its especially heinous with tierney for whatever reason. tierney goes from 37% CF to 48%. it goes both ways, but those two are not a good fit at all. but nieto has dragged down everyone not names pavs/jumbo. its crazy.

and they arent replacing tierney with brown, it looks like they are replacing nieto with brown and tierney with zubrus. unless they decide to sit wingels or donskoi instead.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I didnt want to believe it, but heres the stats

when tierney plays with brown hes hanging at 46% CF when hes away from brown he actually gets worse.

zubrus does well in posession with brown at 53%.

Nieto has been a huge drag on possession all year and probably needs to see the press box. its especially heinous with tierney for whatever reason. tierney goes from 37% CF to 48%. it goes both ways, but those two are not a good fit at all. but nieto has dragged down everyone not names pavs/jumbo. its crazy.

and they arent replacing tierney with brown, it looks like they are replacing nieto with brown and tierney with zubrus. unless they decide to sit wingels or donskoi instead.

I'm quite capable of reading and understanding stats.

The 4th line for the past 1.5 games has been Zubrus-Tierney-Donskoi (Wingels started here but they made the switch to move him up quickly).

They're moving Zubrus to center, Brown is coming in, Tierney is coming out.

You can look at it specifically by position if you want to put what it comes down to is Tierney is out on the 4th line, Brown is in.

Tierney struggled mightily for the first part of the season and if they had made this move in early to mid November I wouldn't have minded much. His play has improved quite a bit since Dec. 1st.

This team is having a hell of a time not just scoring but keeping the puck out of their net. Brown is a detriment to both of those things and it goes way, way, way past this season where I think he's actually be a tiny bit better than he has in the past (he's still bad).

It might be a bit helpful if DeBoer would try to stick with his lines for a bit longer than 15 minutes (yes, a bit of hyperbole here) or if he's going to hold players "accountable" he could try to be a bit less biased with the guys he's giving a big pass to.

Tierney is waiver exempt so he's an easy one to move, I get that. I just don't agree with it.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I'm quite capable of reading and understanding stats.

The 4th line for the past 1.5 games has been Zubrus-Tierney-Donskoi (Wingels started here but they made the switch to move him up quickly).

They're moving Zubrus to center, Brown is coming in, Tierney is coming out.

You can look at it specifically by position if you want to put what it comes down to is Tierney is out on the 4th line, Brown is in.

Tierney struggled mightily for the first part of the season and if they had made this move in early to mid November I wouldn't have minded much. His play has improved quite a bit since Dec. 1st.

This team is having a hell of a time not just scoring but keeping the puck out of their net. Brown is a detriment to both of those things and it goes way, way, way past this season where I think he's actually be a tiny bit better than he has in the past (he's still bad).

It might be a bit helpful if DeBoer would try to stick with his lines for a bit longer than 15 minutes (yes, a bit of hyperbole here) or if he's going to hold players "accountable" he could try to be a bit less biased with the guys he's giving a big pass to.

Tierney is waiver exempt so he's an easy one to move, I get that. I just don't agree with it.

I might be reading the stats wrong honestly, but browns differential at even strength is less than -1. tierney's on the other hand is -2.07.

Brown isnt the problem. we have top nine players who just cant score at evens and to top it off they cant keep the puck out of their net. brown isnt dragging his lines down, and he isnt the reason they are getting scored on.

it would be one thing if possession dipped from 53-40 or something with brown but those two are literally right next to each other in FF%. so tierney needs some time in the AHL, just like mueller does. I mean look at the GF/60 GA/60 brown is top 5 in GA/60! and tierney is literally the worst on the team in keeping the puck out of his net. but look at the bottom of that list. nieto/wingels/hertl/donskoi. its really bad.

so no...brown is not the problem

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Brown can't do anything but hit people and fight. He may not be THE problem but he's not part of the solution either. Tierney has the skills to help turn things around. Brown doesn't.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Brown can't do anything but hit people and fight. He may not be THE problem but he's not part of the solution either. Tierney has the skills to help turn things around. Brown doesn't.

That's fine and I agree with you. But giving tierney time to get some confidence in a scoring role is good. Having brown there for a bit won't really hurt anything. Tierney came back from an AHL stint better last time. He's developing. He has a chance, albeit small to be a top six player and a decent chance at being a third line staple. He needs to succeed for a bit in the AHL, and honestly barring injuries he should've been sent down for his play a long time ago.

I feel like we had this exact opposite debate about mueller staying up and getting press box time versus AHL top pairing time.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I might be reading the stats wrong honestly, but browns differential at even strength is less than -1. tierney's on the other hand is -2.07.

Brown isnt the problem. we have top nine players who just cant score at evens and to top it off they cant keep the puck out of their net. brown isnt dragging his lines down, and he isnt the reason they are getting scored on.

it would be one thing if possession dipped from 53-40 or something with brown but those two are literally right next to each other in FF%. so tierney needs some time in the AHL, just like mueller does. I mean look at the GF/60 GA/60 brown is top 5 in GA/60! and tierney is literally the worst on the team in keeping the puck out of his net. but look at the bottom of that list. nieto/wingels/hertl/donskoi. its really bad.

so no...brown is not the problem

He does drag his line down possession wise. I mean, you're talking about WOWY's so I assume you've noticed his numbers.

No one is saying Brown is THE problem and I have no idea why everyone always jumps to that conclusion. He's not a good hockey player, he's not going to help in any way.

As I said Tierney is waiver exempt so he's an easy target. I honestly don't think he's going to gain a whole lot outside of maybe some confidence playing in the AHL. Watching him at the end of his last stint and yesterday, the AHL game is easy for him.

His line (Zubrus-Tierney-Donskoi) had looked pretty good to me for the almost two games DeBoer gave them together. They created some chances and didn't have to be sheltered. Maybe with some time they'd start to produce.

It took almost 36 games for this team to get healthy...DeBoer gave them 2 games together. I find that to be a problem.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Brown gives an honest effort and can mix it up even if he obviously doesn't have NHL skill. I'm fine with him in the lineup but not at the expense of Tierney who has looked much, much better lately. I'm baffled by DeBoer's comments that Tierney has been in a rut lately or whatever because the kid played his best hockey since last March in the month of December. The points aren't coming but he's been creating chances, mostly because he's generally had two skilled wingers to play with. If we're gonna bring in Brown I still maintain it's Karlsson who should be sitting. He brings nothing. The fact that he keeps getting chances to ride shotgun with the Joes is a joke.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Brown gives an honest effort and can mix it up even if he obviously doesn't have NHL skill. I'm fine with him in the lineup but not at the expense of Tierney who has looked much, much better lately. I'm baffled by DeBoer's comments that Tierney has been in a rut lately or whatever because the kid played his best hockey since last March in the month of December. The points aren't coming but he's been creating chances, mostly because he's generally had two skilled wingers to play with. If we're gonna bring in Brown I still maintain it's Karlsson who should be sitting. He brings nothing. The fact that he keeps getting chances to ride shotgun with the Joes is a joke.

I didn't want to get into specific stats over the past month but I think Tierney has been quite a bit better since Dec. 1st.

Karlsson is one of the guys I was talking about when I said DeBoer might have a blind spot for some guys. Wingels & Zubrus are the others.

I don't really think any of those guys should be sitting, especially not for Brown, but some changes to ice time distribution is probably in order at this point.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
He does drag his line down possession wise. I mean, you're talking about WOWY's so I assume you've noticed his numbers.

No one is saying Brown is THE problem and I have no idea why everyone always jumps to that conclusion. He's not a good hockey player, he's not going to help in any way.

As I said Tierney is waiver exempt so he's an easy target. I honestly don't think he's going to gain a whole lot outside of maybe some confidence playing in the AHL. Watching him at the end of his last stint and yesterday, the AHL game is easy for him.

His line (Zubrus-Tierney-Donskoi) had looked pretty good to me for the almost two games DeBoer gave them together. They created some chances and didn't have to be sheltered. Maybe with some time they'd start to produce.

It took almost 36 games for this team to get healthy...DeBoer gave them 2 games together. I find that to be a problem.

Look at tierneys WOWYs. He's arguably a bigger possession drag than brown. It's not even up for debate.

The AHL game may be easy for him but his NHL play has been unacceptable. He is still waiver exempt so it's a perfectly reasonable move.

I'm guessing nieto will be a healthy scratch, which is why I say it's brown for nieto. Because if nieto stayed in brown would stay out. So I'm not sure how you can say brown is replacing tierney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad