Recalled/Assigned: Sharks Recalls 2015-16 Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I wonder if Mirco's just down for the next AHL game or if they're gonna call up Demelo to take his spot.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I can see the Sharks making a callup for a D man and extra forward (if Smith and/or Couture are not ready to go) for Friday's game in Anaheim.

Also -- expect recalls before next week's roadie.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
As much as I like Ryan, this is really not much of a debate. We drafted Mueller in the first round and Ryan was drafted in the 7th. Neither has proven much in the pros. Based on draft pedigree alone, it is safe to assume that Mueller has a higher ceiling.

2003:
Steve Bernier - 16th
Joe Pavelski - 205th

2012/2013:
Mirco Mueller - 18th
Joakim Ryan - 195th

I've never seen Ryan play, so I can't comment on anything quantitive. But you argument doesn't pass the sniff test. Mueller isn't working. Tennyson isn't working. DeMelo isn't working. I say we give Ryan a shot. Worst case we have more information about who is and is not gonna work. I am so dopamine driven though. I just love anything shiny and new. But hey, worst case, he plays 6 minutes, gets a goal against, and we bench him in the 3rd. That's basically a coin toss with the other three anyways.

I subtlety like how we argue these things like we can convince someone. If they do let Joakim play, I am gonna let myself believe I played a part in making that happen. I wish they'd do a pre-season game where they let fans vote on the line-up. Talk about letting the inmates run the asylum. But it would be interesting to see if crowd sourcing actually led to any useful organizational insights.

In any case, DW said this season was about earning a spot in the line up. You can't simply rotate between two guys who clearly don't deserve it and call that competition. That's why they both seem so non-chilant about being sent down. It's like "Ohh I ****ed up? Guess I'll see you guys in a game or two *shrug*"

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
As much as I like Ryan, this is really not much of a debate. We drafted Mueller in the first round and Ryan was drafted in the 7th. Neither has proven much in the pros. Based on draft pedigree alone, it is safe to assume that Mueller has a higher ceiling.

I've seen a lot more out of Ryan in 20 games than I have of Mueller in the last 2 seasons (outside of WJC, he was great there).

Mueller is obviously going to have a slower development curve, and I still believe in him, but I don't see much that suggests he'll be more than #4/5.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

It's a common mistake imho to look at draft pick after the draft. At some point you just need to judge the player on the player.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Ultimately, I think Ryan gets a chance with the big club at some point this year. It's clear that Mueller's not ready yet and Tennyson is garbage and the coaches know it. So that really only leaves Demelo as his only competition but the leash has been long. I think it's just a matter of when not if. The real problem will be if Ryan just sucks.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Mueller has been a bit disappointing. Obviously, the disclaimers that he is very young and very raw...but he's been very bland. No real high-end abilities. His lauded hockey IQ really hasn't shown itself...

There are plenty of players who showed that spark early on who were never able to develop those abilities into anything special; there are also plenty who did. But to not have any spark at all just doesn't bode well.

We'll see. At least the Sharks have had a history of getting good value for falling youngsters (and defensemen, specifically).

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Ultimately, I think Ryan gets a chance with the big club at some point this year. It's clear that Mueller's not ready yet and Tennyson is garbage and the coaches know it. So that really only leaves Demelo as his only competition but the leash has been long. I think it's just a matter of when not if. The real problem will be if Ryan just sucks.

IMHO I see Tennyson as having peaks and valleys where mueller is pretty consistently meh. Honestly pretty bummed about mueller so far considering the 2nd we spent to move up

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's a common mistake imho to look at draft pick after the draft. At some point you just need to judge the player on the player.

Well if the players had shown a lot in the pros and/or one of them had taken off, then sure. But till they are older and have been given a bigger chance at the pro level, the ceiling is based on the draft.

Also, it is not they were drafted a few positions apart. Ryan was a 7th round draft pick and Mueller was a 1st. Not that it defines their careers or anything, but this early in their hockey careers, their draft is what I look at.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Not really. Stollery & Cundari are both being leaned on pretty heavily for the SJB and it wouldn't surprise me much if one or both got a chance before Ryan.

IMHO I see Tennyson as having peaks and valleys where mueller is pretty consistently meh. Honestly pretty bummed about mueller so far considering the 2nd we spent to move up

I know you're not saying Mueller is a bust or anything like that but generally speaking, non-elite d-men (prospects) don't tend to put it together until sometime between 22-24 years old.

I don't think Mueller's ceiling is all that high but they really need to leave him in the AHL to play a lot of minutes (I'm fairly sure he leads the SJB in TOI/game) and just let play.

That said I'd imagine we'll see him in the NHL again unless/until they trade for another d-man or a more unlikely scenario, one of the other AHL D takes the spot.

Last edited:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Dylan DeMelo is the d-man they brought with them to Anaheim. It'll be interesting to see if he's in the line up tonight over Tennyson.

They also brought Haley and considering the opponent (who are no longer a big, mean team) I wouldn't be too surprised to see him in the lineup as well which would be bad.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Kurz had a list of D drafted by the sharks recently and it wasn't pretty. I cant seem to find the link but it was bad.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Kurz had a list of D drafted by the sharks recently and it wasn't pretty. I cant seem to find the link but it was bad.

I think that's pretty well tread territory on here. DW's been exceptionally poor at drafting defensemen who played anything like he did during his career.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There is noone anywhere who can make that argument. We need Joakim!

I enjoy it when we set ourselves up for disappointment. One of my favorite parts as a Sharks fan. Unabashed, unrelenting, and irrational optimism then instantaneous "**** this guy"

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I enjoy it when we set ourselves up for disappointment. One of my favorite parts as a Sharks fan. Unabashed, unrelenting, and irrational optimism then instantaneous "**** this guy"

I want ever Sharks' player and prospect to be successful, but some guys simply won't make it in the NHL. I'd like to see some other guys get some opportunities, not just Tennyson, Mueller and Demelo all the time.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I want ever Sharks' player and prospect to be successful, but some guys simply won't make it in the NHL. I'd like to see some other guys get some opportunities, not just Tennyson, Mueller and Demelo all the time.

Same here but I just enjoy that even after years of ridicule and disappointment, we can still get hyped for the little things.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Not really. Stollery & Cundari are both being leaned on pretty heavily for the SJB and it wouldn't surprise me much if one or both got a chance before Ryan.

I know you're not saying Mueller is a bust or anything like that but generally speaking, non-elite d-men (prospects) don't tend to put it together until sometime between 22-24 years old.

I don't think Mueller's ceiling is all that high but they really need to leave him in the AHL to play a lot of minutes (I'm fairly sure he leads the SJB in TOI/game) and just let play.

That said I'd imagine we'll see him in the NHL again unless/until they trade for another d-man or a more unlikely scenario, one of the other AHL D takes the spot.

Not saying that mueller is a bust at all. Some of his fundamentals have disappointed me though.

In general I understand dmen take longer to develop. With that said, I expected more from mueller. PS - what's with him randomly falling down while skating backwards in the dzone? Only happened a few times but they were clear falls with no one around him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad