Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There is no point in rushing him either. It does suck that his jrs team isn't really a system that promotes pro level habits. That said another year to get bigger and stronger isn't going to stunt his game. 25/26 season introducing Musty, Dickinson, Bystedt, Mukhamadullin (if he doesn't stick this year) and maybe the 25 draft pick. It's almost too many kids at once haha
IMO it’s not about rushing Musty, it’s about getting him out of Sudbury, which isn’t exactly an ideal developmental environment for a highly skilled but possibly complacent teenager.

Best case scenario would be something like London trades for Musty.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
IMO it’s not about rushing Musty, it’s about getting him out of Sudbury, which isn’t exactly an ideal developmental environment for a highly skilled but possibly complacent teenager.

Best case scenario would be something like London trades for Musty.
I think I asked before but I wonder how much pull the Sharks would have in trying to get him into a better program. Cause I feel for the kid having to just go through the motions in Sudbury for another year. Musty should have gone the college way it seems

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think I asked before but I wonder how much pull the Sharks would have in trying to get him into a better program. Cause I feel for the kid having to just go through the motions in Sudbury for another year. Musty should have gone the college way it seems
I kinda doubt the Sharks will have any influence over OHL trades. Honestly, whoever Musty’s agent is is a better bet.

I was quite surprised to hear Smith bring up the CHL vs. NCAA debate specifically regarding Musty, but the fact that he said that to me seems like real insight that the Sharks and/or Musty are dissatisfied with Sudbury, especially if you take Marchant’s comments into account too.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I kinda doubt the Sharks will have any influence over OHL trades. Honestly, whoever Musty’s agent is is a better bet.

I was quite surprised to hear Smith bring up the CHL vs. NCAA debate specifically regarding Musty, but the fact that he said that to me seems like real insight that the Sharks and/or Musty are dissatisfied with Sudbury, especially if you take Marchant’s comments into account too.
Yeah, that was really interesting to hear. Sort of a real bit of insight into the kind of stuff that these guys really talk about, the things that really matter to them in their lives (in this weirdly liminal space between kids and professionals) that I feel like we don't get all that much.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Yeah, that was really interesting to hear. Sort of a real bit of insight into the kind of stuff that these guys really talk about, the things that really matter to them in their lives (in this weirdly liminal space between kids and professionals) that I feel like we don't get all that much.

What was Smith’s comments, for those that missed it.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
What was Smith’s comments, for those that missed it.
It was in the Dan Rusanowsky interview from the first day of the dev camp. Not really that interesting he just basically was asked about his experience going the USNDTP/NCAA route compared to Musty going to the OHL and he said, "I'll let him tell you what he thinks he should have done."

Not hard to imagine Musty has regrets putting himself at a disadvantage for making the WJC roster last year and he probably made a lot less money than Smith did at BC.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
It was in the Dan Rusanowsky interview from the first day of the dev camp. Not really that interesting he just basically was asked about his experience going the USNDTP/NCAA route compared to Musty going to the OHL and he said, "I'll let him tell you what he thinks he should have done."

Not hard to imagine Musty has regrets putting himself at a disadvantage for making the WJC roster last year and he probably made a lot less money than Smith did at BC.

I don't get the allure for Americans to consider CHL at all. The USNDTP is fantastic. But even outside of that, the USHL is a great junior league. If you play well in the USHL, you will get noticed.

Hell, I call the NAHL (the US junior league below the USHL) "Last Chance U", and it still gets kids who do well down there into D1 scholarships and/or even the rare draftee from NAHL to the NHL (although when that happens, it is usually a goalie).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Let me ask a question...what's the case for Bystedt/Edstrom over Colin Graf?

Looking at their profiles, one might say that given the stature of the Europeans, they are safer bets to become NHLers. But isn't Graf more proven (already shown he can handle NHL size/speed)? He has a bit of skill too. Had he been drafted in the late first in 2021, you'd probably be very satisfied with his trajectory..as opposed to Bystedt, who had a disappointing D+2...

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

Looking at their profiles, one might say that given the stature of the Europeans, they are safer bets to become NHLers. But isn't Graf more proven (already shown he can handle NHL size/speed)? He has a bit of skill too. Had he been drafted in the late first in 2021, you'd probably be very satisfied with his trajectory..as opposed to Bystedt, who had a disappointing D+2...

I genuinely keep forgetting about Graf (the wealth of prospects we have… it’s wild). I genuinely can’t get a gauge of how good he is. I’m curious how he looks in camp. My feeling is he likely starts in the AHL on the 1st line with Bystedt and then we’ll really get to see what he’s capable of.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
You know Musty's thinking about Celebrini and Smith making the nhl squad while he flys back to a jr league is driving him crazy. He's going to come into camp with so much fire

100%. Especially after the season he’s had. I love that he got Crosby’s offseason trainer, I think he’s definitely going in on a mission. I hope he leaves them no choice but to let him play. Honestly, if Smith maintains his own level of confidence and he and Musty can continue their chemistry in camp and preseason, he may just make it.

That said, I’m guessing they really would rather not go into the season with THAT many rookies so Musty is going to have to be pretty amazing.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
lovin' the banter- @Jargon, @TheBeard @Mr Fahrenheit bravo!

Look at Brant Clarke:

D+1 in the OHL
D+2 OHL* (possibly with year end call-up)
D+3 AHL/NHL
D+4 full-time NHL

*They assigned him back to the OHL after time in the NHL & AHL. I wouldn't follow this model specifically, but Clarke was picked 8th overall in a strong draft and aside from his skating stride, was extremely well thought of. Where some top D picks (and/or current elite) rank. Note: D+1 is the earliest you could make a squad.

Heiskanen (D+2), Hanafin (D+1), Dobson (D+2), Sanderson (D+3), McAvoy (D+2), Pietro (D+3), Doughty (D+1), Jones (D+1), Bouchard (D+3), Sergachev (D+2)
I do think it's possible, if he comes to camp with fire and is in shape, that Musty gets 9+15 in the NHL/AHL which would take him to like December, WJCs, then Juniors until the end of the season. That plan would at least have him getting challenged through January and as you mentioned, Clarke did it and others have done it.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

I don't know that a 7 game sample size where Graf looked largely overmatched physically counts as being more proven. Bystedt came over and was pretty dominant in the AHL in his same number of games. I think Graf is a guaranteed AHL guy this year and then maybe he finds a way into a 3rd line scoring winger role midseason in 2025-26 as roster spots from guys like Kunin, Granlund, etc. have opened up (maybe Zetterlund too if the right deal comes along this TDL)

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Just saw this on the prospects board, Sharks listed as having the #1 (Celebrini), #13 (Smith), #16 (Dickinson) and #23 (Musty) affiliated prospects 23 and under w/ less than 25 NHL games played. Nice!

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Smith is grossly underrated in that ranking.

Players ahead of Smith:
Celebrini
Michkov
Demidov
Buium
Iginla
Catton
Lindstrom
Reinbacher
Firkus
Wright
Levshunov
Leonard

I would say definitely Celebrini and maybe Michkov and Demidov (even those as scoring wingers they aren’t as valuable as Smith).

But for all the rest to be ranked ahead of Smith is disrespectful to him. Smith would have probably gone #2 in the draft this past year. I could see an argument for Levshunov and Lindstrom if size is that important but otherwise Smith should not be that low.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Players ahead of Smith:
Celebrini
Michkov
Demidov
Buium
Iginla
Catton
Lindstrom
Reinbacher
Firkus
Wright
Levshunov
Leonard

I would say definitely Celebrini and maybe Michkov and Demidov (even those as scoring wingers they aren’t as valuable as Smith).

But for all the rest to be ranked ahead of Smith is disrespectful to him. Smith would have probably gone #2 in the draft this past year. I could see an argument for Levshunov and Lindstrom if size is that important but otherwise Smith should not be that low.
One might say Smith was a secondary consideration for the list...

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017

Players ahead of Smith:
Celebrini
Michkov
Demidov
Buium
Iginla
Catton
Lindstrom
Reinbacher
Firkus
Wright
Levshunov
Leonard

Demidov vastly overrated due to the Hab's fans echo chamber. Michkov/Smith should be a solid #2 and #3 on a majority of lists. I can also see an argument for Nikishin too.

Can bet a lot of Hab's posters have never seen a game of either Michkov or Demidov, and only highlight reels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad