2024 Summer Olympics- Paris

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Search not returning any previous thread(s).

France asking 46 countries for more than 2k police officers to help with security. Also some specific military personnel requests like sniffer dogs.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm only surprised they made this request... not to get too geopolitical but they have historically been very uneasy about asking for outside help and having foreign soldiers/police on their soil.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Part of the triathlon is to swim a section of the Siene River.

However, some of the safety protocols to eliminate sewage run off into the river have not yet come online. Bacteria measurements through the winter have been dangerously high.

The opening ceremony will also include barges down the seine rather than walking into stadium.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

While I applaud their efforts to clean up the Seine river, it was way too ambitious to expect it to be done so quickly.

Reactions: Voight

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Saw a video showing the athletes' bed frames are made of cardboard.

And the grousing over AC to cool bedrooms.

Laudable that the buildings seek to be green. But performance minded teams will push for comfort. (Suggested sleeping temp is 61-69F)

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

While I applaud their efforts to clean up the Seine river, it was way too ambitious to expect it to be done so quickly.
Yeah and way to ambitious to have tried a little earlier eh?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Sounds like FIFA should kick Canada out of all international competitions and probably even remove them as one of the host countries for the 2026 World Cup. And if the strong crap was going on in 2021 at the 2020 Olympics, Canada should be stripped of their gold medal in women's soccer. also, Priestman and anybody else found involved should possibly be suspended for life. I personally think too that if they play if any players knew of it at all and did not report that they also should probably be suspended for several years

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
From what I've seen, players had no knowledge nor studied drone footage. So expulsion of coach as minimum should be appropriate.
Not sure I buy that. "Gee, our coach seems to have remarkable insight into our opponents, we're just going to sit here and not even consider she may be cheating."

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
BTW- this opening ceremony may be blowing the whole “hold the ceremony in the big stadium” deal out of the water.

The part where we went from (as one tweet put it) Assassin’s Creed: Olympique to the singing severed head of Marie Antoinette to Heavy Metal revolution to operatic celebration of Liberté was something.

I know… counterpoint: not every city is Paris.

BTW- there’s some story kicking around that the Canada men reviewed drone footage of Honduras before a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad