Confirmed with Link: Sharks claim Goodrow from NYR

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
In my opinion, pick 14 is oodles more important than this move. Hell, Pick 33 and 42 might be more important than this move.
Of course it is. This is a nothing move and some are making this out to be the defining transaction in Grier's short tenure.

Bailing out a contending team by taking on an average 4th liner making 3.6M AAV for three more years and asking for a late 1st as compensation is pretty much asking for McDavid and Bedard.
Par for the course from you.
Teams and GMs don't really care that much about the concept of "bailing out", They're interested in getting the players they thing help their team whether now or in the future.

Reactions: LunchPail

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Bailing out a contending team by taking on an average 4th liner making 3.6M AAV for three more years and asking for a late 1st as compensation is pretty much asking for McDavid and Bedard.
Par for the course from you.
Goodrow would get AT LEAST 2-3 years at 2-3 million if he was a UFA next week. He's barely overpaid. It is absolutely delusional to think that's worth a 1st round pick as a cap dump.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Waiver claims aren't nefarious, they're part of the collective bargaining agreement, if Goodrow didn't want to be made available to any team at a moment's notice he should have negotiated for an NMC

And that's the only reason we didn't get any assets back, he has us on his NTC, but that doesn't mean he won't be valuable to us, worst case scenario he's an easily flippable piece in a year once a retention slot opens back up, but for now he's our best penalty killer and he brings a lot of playoff experience and is a clutch player, he makes us better today than we were yesterday

*whisper*also, there's probably a handshake agreement between Grier and Drury that they're gonna do us a favor for this, they're old friends and are likely to help each other out*whisper*
I could see this pushing agents to ask for NMC more often which would ultimately trade off some salary.

Also isn't Todd Marchant who had this happen to him in the first case like this a development coach for the Sharks. I wonder where they got this idea.
But if we’re getting Player X in a future move for Sharks Player Y, why not just do that trade immediately and throw in Goodrow? Wouldn’t it yield the exact same results?
Because the Sharks are clearly on his NTC. Everyone complains about Vegas LTIR cheating. It is nice to see the Sharks willing to circumvent rules for a change.

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
Why don't people wait to hear what Goodrow says when he is introduced to the press? If he comes out and says "F' this! I'm retiring before I play for this tire fire," then we have a problem. But if he comes out and publicly embraces the role of being a leader and role model for the young'ens, it won't be a problem.

I think Grier wants Goodrow to mentor the kids: wear a letter, play defense, and give effort all the time. No more LaBancs or Hoffmans floating around the ice. I surmise that the Sharks were on Goodrow's no-trade list and he would not waive. But I hope Grier called him before filing the waiver claim, told him what his role would be on the Sharks, and then pointed out that if he didn't accept that role, the Rangers would buy him out, which would cost Goodrow close to $4M in salary over the next three years of his contract. That's money he probably could not make up signing league minimum deals as a free agent. So let's see what Goodrow says when he is re-introduced as a Shark. Overpaying Goodrow is not a problem for a team that needs to get to the floor.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
But if we’re getting Player X in a future move for Sharks Player Y, why not just do that trade immediately and throw in Goodrow? Wouldn’t it yield the exact same results?

This gets around the NTC.

If he comes out and says "F' this! I'm retiring before I play for this tire fire," then we have a problem.

Why is that a problem? If he retires, since his contract was not signed after he turned 35 (he's 31 now), then Goodrow's cap hit simply comes off the books.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm willing to wait and see what the rest of the reported handshake agreement deal is before passing judgment but on its own, claiming Goodrow is a waste of resources. I get that he's a playoff hero but the only reason he even was a playoff hero was because he was getting benched for poor play. The only reason he got waived for this deal to happen is because of poor play. Even if he slots into our 3rd or 4th line, he will be bad and we're not likely to have the talent to compensate for that. We're likely stuck with him for this season unless we buy him out. Hopefully we can send the Rangers Knyzhov for a 2nd or something. lol

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Goodrow would get AT LEAST 2-3 years at 2-3 million if he was a UFA next week. He's barely overpaid. It is absolutely delusional to think that's worth a 1st round pick as a cap dump.

He wouldn’t get anywhere close to 3x3 on the open market.

Reactions: vortexy

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
He wouldn’t get anywhere close to 3x3 on the open market.
I'm not as sure. $3m vs a cap that's what, around $90m? For a bottom-6 energy/character guy with a playoff reputation? Not out of the question for a team that thinks they're close. Not as likely as when NYR signed him, but not outrageous either.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
We don’t cheer for Washington? Its also a bad move lol but why would we care what they do
The point is GMs don't make their personnel decisions based on holding other GMS over a barrel. They make the decisions they think will help improve their club. If Grier believes the team is better with Goodrow than without, making that decisions shouldn't be contingent on what else the Rangers would be willing to give up.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Are we gonna shit on Washington for bailing out the Kings and PLD??
Wow it's almost like the end of the flat cap era has fundamentally changed the dynamics of cap space valuation???

No that couldn't be...clearly NHL GMs are morons and HFBoards posters know best.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Wow it's almost like the end of the flat cap era has fundamentally changed the dynamics of cap space valuation???

No that couldn't be...clearly NHL GMs are morons and HFBoards posters know best.
Washington should have held out for a 4th in 2026

rideaucrusher21

Aug 8, 2008
CA
Plenty of cap space, got two NHL players for essentially a 4th today. These two are actual, legit NHL players. Less playing time for fringe NHL or AHL players is a plus. The Sharks will still be a bottom three team in the league, but hopefully we see few 10-2 games. I think it’s a good start to the offseason.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

I'm not as sure. $3m vs a cap that's what, around $90m? For a bottom-6 energy/character guy with a playoff reputation? Not out of the question for a team that thinks they're close. Not as likely as when NYR signed him, but not outrageous either.

Fine. Then why did the Rangers (who are in contention) waive a such a valuable, experienced 4th liner who is signed to a contract ever so slightly above market? Does anybody have Drury’s HF handle? Would love to ask him.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Fine. Then why did the Rangers (who are in contention) waive a such a valuable, experienced 4th liner who is signed to a contract ever so slightly above market? Does anybody have Drury’s HF handle? Would love to ask him.
Isn't it obvious? They're in cap hell and we need help to hit the floor

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Plenty of cap space, got two NHL players for essentially a 4th today. These two are actual, legit NHL players. Less playing time for fringe NHL or AHL players is a plus. The Sharks will still be a bottom three team in the league, but hopefully we see few 10-2 games. I think it’s a good start to the offseason.
Goodrow is not in my mind a legitimate NHL player. He's going to be given opportunities because he won some Cups in Tampa in a depth role but he's reverted back to what he was in San Jose when we were competing. A 4th liner you bench when it matters and a player you wouldn't think twice about replacing if the opportunity presents itself.

Reactions: WSS11 and spintops

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
3x3.6M for Goodrow should have netted us a late 1st. What an absolutely indefensible move by Grier. And for the “well they probably have a handshake deal in place” crowd, that’s nothing but hopeful speculation. If NYR did try to trade Goodrow to SJ and he nixed it then that should have signaled something to Grier and ended the pursuit. You don’t circumvent the NTC and willingly take a horrid contract back for free.

Remember that Goodrow himself is not an albatross. He's overpaid by 1-1.5 million, so to take on his contract the Sharks should have gotten a 2nd...

Reactions: vortexy

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Remember that Goodrow himself is not an albatross. He's overpaid by 1-1.5 million, so to take on his contract the Sharks should have gotten a 2nd...
Albatross contracts are relative. Goodrow consistently gets caved in as a depth player on a competitive team while being overpaid. This year, he had a solid playoff run. The previous two seasons in New York, he produced relatively well during the season for a 3rd liner but was a ghost in the playoffs. He's still inconsistent in what he brings and in reality is a guy that shouldn't get paid more than 1.5 mil so he's actually about 2 mil overpaid.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
So much overreaction here. It's very entertaining. Keep on going guys!!! 3.6 over 3 who cares. It's possible he gets traded at the Deadline and even if not we have to spent.

GRANdSharks

Mar 14, 2018
Idt Goodrow would have brought much of a sweetener back, his contract isn't way off what he would get on the market considering his reputation. I don't mind the move his contract is in line with our elc's we still have money to burn to get to the floor. He is also a massive upgrade over guys like hoffman and Lebanc in our bottom 6.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Isn't it obvious? They're in cap hell and we need help to hit the floor

I don’t think they’re in cap hell but with Igor needing an extension next year they’ll need some relief with a hope of another 4M in inflation.

For me it’s the term left on the deal. I would have been cool with it being conditional (similar terms as NJ had on the Meier deal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad