Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VAN] Ilya Mikheyev (15% retained), Sam Lafferty, 2027 2nd round pick for 2027 4th round pick

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Ideally would have been no retention but, I'm happy with this overall. The 'sweetener' is a pick swap 4 drafts away so who cares. Lafferty wasn't going to be re-signed.

This 4M cap space will be massive for this offseason. And next offseason too... Boeser or a replacement will need a new deal.
Plot twist: Lafferty doesn’t sign with Chicago and re-signs with Vancouver on July 1st

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
If I’m Van I use the savings to bring back Zadorov and find a cheaper winger than Guenztel for Pete
22 million in cap they can do both and still have 8 million to sign Tanev, or Myers and Toffoli.
Nucks now have every active contract off the books that was impeding them. The Canucks have gone in two years from laughing stock to Pacific champs with not one bad contract on the active roster, most of the core locked up and some very good prospects, with lots of cap to improve.

Most nuck fans were skeptical of JR but he's not only executed his vision, he did it a year early considering coming into the season his best case was a team fighting for a wild card if everything went right.

Shit just saw 2027 2nd, even better.

Belfour20

Jul 26, 2005
Seems pretty win-win for both sides. Hawks get another vet to help fill the lineup and they aren't pushing to compete for another couple seasons so the cap space doesn't matter too much. They get a sweetener to take the contract. Vancouver saves about 4 mil in cap space (after retention) the next 2 seasons for the cost of dropping a couple rounds on their pick which is a pretty fair price.

I also liked Lafferty the first time he was on the Hawks, so I wouldn't mind if they sign him for a vet role too for a couple seasons.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Glad this was an exchange of 2027 picks here. If Mikheyev fully recovers from his ACL injury, Chicago will enjoy him. He was very good at even strength with Pettersson 2 years.

21million to improve the top end of the team is great. If Zad comes in at $5 million and Guentzel at ~$9 million, they'll still have $7 million for Myers and Joshua if they choose to re-sign. Other players like Raty, Bains, and Sasson should also be making a push - could make for an interesting camp. If Podkolzin doesn't fumble the bag and shows the 2nd line talent that we've been occasionally glimpsing for the past 2 years, the roster could look really good.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
This is where someone like Lekkerimaki is a huge wildcard on an ELC.

Guentzel - Pettersson - Toffoli
Lekkerimaki - Miller - Boeser

That would be lethal. Pipe dream at this point.
With 22 million and Toffoli expected to be around 4×4, they can very much bring them both in and still have 8-9 left for a bottom pair and a 2nd pair D. Dillon, Tanev? Zadorov, Myers?

That top six with
Hoglander -Blueger- Garland
Podz - Suter - Raty
Aman

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Tanev
Dillon - Juulson.

That's a strong team on paper.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Does anyone else want to do anything? keep checking back to see moves but it's just Van again.

Like the move

Re: Mikhayev you cant bring him back and getting all the money off the books really helps.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Zadorov is a bottom pair guy. Anything over 4 atrocious.

Guentzel... Somebody is going to overpay him. He's a good sniper but needs a driver. That sure as hell isn't Petey

The overpayment is worth it if somebody can dish him properly. Kinda like McDavid hyman
[MOD] Jake is an excellent playmaker and EP had over 100 points with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev/ revolving door as his wingers.
Last year he was outpacing the previous season with even worse wingers until he got hurt.
It was clear as day something was wrong. Are you completely incapable of putting your bias aside?

Last edited by a moderator:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver to Chicago be like...

IMG_2005-Edit-scaled.jpg

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
And they still have to go through Vegas or Edmonton. When Connor garland looks like your most clutch player, you're in big trouble
Vegas is in cap hell and losing key players

Edmonton had their lucky run only to lose and have massive injuries. Now they have to figure out how to get rid of nurse and campbell if they want any chance.

Reactions: vcanuck

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
With 22 million and Toffoli expected to be around 4×4, they can very much bring them both in and still have 8-9 left for a bottom pair and a 2nd pair D. Dillon, Tanev? Zadorov, Myers?

That top six with
Hoglander -Blueger- Garland
Podz - Suter - Raty
Aman

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Tanev
Dillon - Juulson.

That's a strong team on paper.

Who's expecting toffoli to sign for 4x4? He's been over 30 goals in each of the last 2 seasons, and he was top 10 in the league with 28 in 52 in the shortened season. He would sign for less than you guys gave mikheyev?

He also left Vancouver on bad terms, which may be better due to the GM change, but everyone was saying ownership was calling shots, and they haven't changed.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It really has to be done. Cap space is invaluable and the Canucks still needs to sign Zadorov or go for the big fish Guentzel. This sucks but it really is a no brainer. Be done with your mistake and move on.

it was a harmless move back when we first signed him.

but one thing for Sure, alvin has made some bad moves too. (Riley Stillman, etc etc)

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad