Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I disagree that they would be trading him at all if they still thought he was going to be an elite level goalie. That is just their opinion though

Since you want to continue to just assume this. Here's a quote that gives you a look into Trotz mindset:

He’s very close [to being NHL ready], but ... you can never over-marinate goaltenders,” Trotz said at the time. “We’re going to do what’s best for us as an organization and also for the growth of young Askarov."

Reactions: weastern bias

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You have to also ask, if Grier doesn't make this move and say Nash sends Askarov elsewhere, what do the Sharks have in net that they can feel confident in? If they believed in one of their current NHL/AHL roster goalies, like Blackwood/Romanov (28/25 this year), then they wouldn't need to make this move. Continue to draft goalies and hope one develops.
They just took Kirsch this past draft in round 4 from Switzerland and Korostelyov in round 7. Beaupit from rd 4 in 2022 (but he left the WHL to play in the BCHL the past year). Gaudreau from rd 3 in 2021 returned to the OHL for an overage year last season.

Teams almost always opt for the younger goalie over the older guy when they have to make a decision on one of them. SJ could have used the LV pick (I'm assuming the Knights are a PO team until they show otherwise), to draft a goalie, then the cost would be Edstrom to move up the timeline by 5 years.
I’m perfectly content playing goalie roulette while they build depth up front and draft goalies in the non-1st rounds until something materializes. The timeline is based on Celebrini and while I don’t mind going for goalies if you feel every other role is addressed, I get that availability for potentially elite goalies won’t necessarily allow for my preferred pathway. If our team’s plan to address the right side is in next year’s draft then I can understand this but that path may take a while too.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The shittiest part of the trade might be the obligation we now have to hope Vegas has a pretty good season, right?
We absolutely do not, if we give Nashville a top 5 pick in this trade it is still a pick Vegas doesn't get to use

Always root for their failure, f*** the Golden Knights, ALL my homies hate the Golden Knights

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m perfectly content playing goalie roulette while they build depth up front and draft goalies in the non-1st rounds until something materializes. The timeline is based on Celebrini and while I don’t mind going for goalies if you feel every other role is addressed, I get that availability for potentially elite goalies won’t necessarily allow for my preferred pathway. If our team’s plan to address the right side is in next year’s draft then I can understand this but that path may take a while too.
That was the other way to play it. Bishop signed with Dallas in 2017 but he was injured for their 2020 PO run and it was 2017 first rounder Oettinger who carried the load for them. Markstrom signed with Cal at age 30. At 33 traded to NJ with 3 years left on his deal. Doesn’t give a long runway unless the team is has someone in the pipeline like Dallas did that needed time to develop.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Just the general timeline of a young talented goalie earning opportunities even on a win now team over more senior competition.
It's a lot easier to compete for a starting hob when the starter retires rather than just having signed an 8 year deal

That was the other way to play it. Bishop signed with Dallas in 2017 but he was injured for their 2020 PO run and it was 2017 first rounder Oettinger who carried the load for them. Markstrom signed with Cal at age 30. At 33 traded to NJ with 3 years left on his deal. Doesn’t give a long runway unless the team is has someone in the pipeline like Dallas did that needed time to develop.
Anton Khudobin took over for Bishop in the bubble, Oettinger didn't play a game in the NHL until the next season

People are misremembering the specifics on recent first round goalies and it's creating an outsized expectation of when they should make the league, let alone be able to steal the net from an established Vezina candidate in his prime with a long term contract, it's perfectly normal for a 22 year old to still be finding his game, even being a consistent AHL starter is impressive at that age

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Just keep it to rooting for Hertl.
Might help with the sting.
tony-soprano-the-sopranos.gif

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
The shittiest part of the trade might be the obligation we now have to hope Vegas has a pretty good season, right?

I feel no such obligation. What exactly is the outcome hoped for by Vegas having a good season? That Nashville gets a worse pick? How does that positively influence the future of the Sharks? Does Grier get bragging rights at the subsequent GM meetings? “I really bent Trotz over; amiright, guys?!?”

At this point the trade is made and the die are cast. Grier spent the capitol he felt was warranted to bring in a top tier goalie prospect that fits with the rebuild, without moving anything that wasn’t, at least plausibly, redundant. That’s a significant win in the short-term. We’ll see how it looks in the long term. Beyond that, who “won the trade” is immaterial outside of fan/pundit dialog. What’s more material, in my opinion, is that a gaping hole in the Sharks prospect pipeline is now filled with one of the best options available.

And with the conditions on the pick, beyond the default Shark reasons, I continue to hope Vegas has a garbage season. If Vegas finishes out of the playoffs it only serves to improve the Sharks odds of winning the lottery again. Personally I hope Nashville ends up drafting 2nd overall, because that means the Sharks are drafting first.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I remember Toronto fans feeling the same way a few years back. I’m glad the finally found their goalie of the future in *checks notes * JOSEPH WALL???

Reactions: Celly4Celebrini

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
And I disagree that they would be trading him at all if they still thought he was going to be an elite level goalie. That is just their opinion though.

I mean he was the one who kept trying to go into the specifics of my broad comparison, where my point was that teams giving up on a young and highly drafted prospect so early is usually not a good sign.

They didn't "give up" on him. Barry Trotz decided that he should just be happy to wait forever for a chance when they signed Saros to a huge extension (which they did because he was already established as good and the preds' timeline for contention is pretty much "right now" so they don't have time to spare to give Askarov a year or two to learn the ropes at the NHL level and evolve into his final form) and he asked for a trade after realizing that he didn't want to spend several years stuck in a situation where there was no path to being the team's starter unless things went really sideways and Saros got super hurt or suddenly turned into a pumpkin.

I also feel like the 1st and Edstrom are probably more valuable to the Predators as deadline bargaining chips to shore up their roster because not every team needs a young goalie but most teams can be enticed by a high-floor young center and a 1st that could theoretically be in the higher reaches of the draft if Vegas collapses into a black hole of suck.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It's a lot easier to compete for a starting hob when the starter retires rather than just having signed an 8 year deal

Anton Khudobin took over for Bishop in the bubble, Oettinger didn't play a game in the NHL until the next season

People are misremembering the specifics on recent first round goalies and it's creating an outsized expectation of when they should make the league, let alone be able to steal the net from an established Vezina candidate in his prime with a long term contract, it's perfectly normal for a 22 year old to still be finding his game, even being a consistent AHL starter is impressive at that age
And then there's the even bigger point of Barry Trotz didn't draft Askarov at 11th overall. He's not his guy and not his draft pick. Trotz isn't going to be doing this GM thing all that long at his age and he's coming in to win a Cup during the Stamkos/Josi contracts and will be gone and retired shortly thereafter their expiration. Saros should still be in his prime during those 4 years so it's a pretty no brainer that Trotz went that route with his goals/intentions for the next couple years.

Jul 10, 2010
I remember Toronto fans feeling the same way a few years back. I’m glad the finally found their goalie of the future in *checks notes * JOSEPH WALL???
Or Edmonton. Wasting McDavids prime with Jack Campbell and Stuart Skinner.

Even if thats all Askarov is (which is like a 25% chance hes not any better) at least GMMG TRIED to do something instead of hoping for the best

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I get the feeling... But I hate Vegas and don't mind if this turns out to be a win-win for us and Nashville. They're a likeable team and their fans are good.

Reactions: Tw1ster

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Im not that into goalie roulette. I know that teams can win that way (adin hill for VGK?), but I think solid stable strong goaltending is a key piece to winning most of the time. I am not excited for goalie roulette, and I am hoping this solidifies the position for the next decade. That potential upside makes the deal a good one even if it doesnt work out.

The D still definitely needs help, though. I agree with you there. I think the 2025 pick, depending on where it is, should be focused there. We have the 1-2 at C. We have a potnenial #1G. We have several potential wingers. However, Dick (and mukh) are the only D that look like top 4 possibilities. I would love one more high end D prospect to compliment dick. That should be easily accomplished by the 2025 pick or even possibly a good development year for Cagnoni, pohlcamp, or thompson.

Persoally, I feel like this year is one of the most important in sharks history. The cupboard is pretty full, but its full of unknowns. By the end of this year, we should have a pretty good idea of who is who and what can be expected.

Can the season start already!!???

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It worked out fine the last time they found their goalie of the future, Andrew Raycroft, right?
Ray Croft was already cooked by the time he went there. He had his one season and then bottomed out the next year. Toronto got him because Boston had already given up.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad