Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Looking at the cup winners of the past: a good, consistent, highly touted goalie was nearly always present. Vassy in TBL. Bob last year (wasnt picked by FLA, but was pretty consistently good). Furthermore, many of the winners were home grown like Murray in Pit, Bennington in STL, Crawford in Chicago, or Holtby in WAS, or Quick in LA.

Obviously, there are also many counter ones: Hill and Kuemper stand out accordingly.

Nevertheless, it seems like having a solid young goalie is of great value, even though you can win with a journeyman or a mediocre goalie. However, I would bet there are countless teams that had SC winning rosters, but were sunk by horrific goaltending.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Looking at the cup winners of the past: a good, consistent, highly touted goalie was nearly always present. Vassy in TBL. Bob last year (wasnt picked by FLA, but was pretty consistently good). Furthermore, many of the winners were home grown like Murray in Pit, Bennington in STL, Crawford in Chicago, or Holtby in WAS, or Quick in LA.

Obviously, there are also many counter ones: Hill and Kuemper stand out accordingly.

Nevertheless, it seems like having a solid young goalie is of great value, even though you can win with a journeyman or a mediocre goalie. However, I would bet there are countless teams that had SC winning rosters, but were sunk by horrific goaltending.
Bobrovsky is consistent alright, consistently below average. For the past couple years with Florida fans were saying he was the most overpaid player in the league.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Bobrovsky is consistent alright, consistently below average. For the past couple years with Florida fans were saying he was the most overpaid player in the league.
Overpaid doesn't mean bad though. He's not a $10M a year goalie (not sure that guy exists anywhere), but he's also a good goalie at the same time. He's probably more of a $5-6M a year player, but that overpaid discussion is an entirely different deal than his actual on ice play.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Overpaid doesn't mean bad though. He's not a $10M a year goalie (not sure that guy exists anywhere), but he's also a good goalie at the same time. He's probably more of a $5-6M a year player, but that overpaid discussion is an entirely different deal than his actual on ice play.
Since he joined the panthers. .900, .906, .913, .901, .915. Like i said consistently below average.

For reference, fans here said niemi was a garbage goalie for his entire time here and his percentages were, .920, .914, .924, .913, .914.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Since he joined the panthers. .900, .906, .913, .901, .915. Like i said consistently below average.

For reference, fans here said niemi was a garbage goalie for his entire time here and his percentages were, .920, .914, .924, .913, .914.
Now take a look at the trendline of league average save percentage....

2 of the 5 years have been substantially above average, 1 year basically right at average, and 2 years below average.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Well I did say highly drafted prospect, but yeah I guess you could say teams were disappointed in what they saw from Edstrom too if they viewed him as a trade chip.
You are so locked into your narrative despite all evidence to the contrary it is hilarious. Edstrom was the Sharks’ 4th best center prospect and the 3rd (Bystedt) is a very similar player which essentially made Edstrom redundant. He was likely traded for specifically BECAUSE he was a trade chip and not because he filled a gap in the prospect pool.

But nah, it is way more likely the Sharks soured on him as a prospect based on the handful of games he’s played in the 5 months since the trade.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Im not that into goalie roulette. I know that teams can win that way (adin hill for VGK?), but I think solid stable strong goaltending is a key piece to winning most of the time. I am not excited for goalie roulette, and I am hoping this solidifies the position for the next decade. That potential upside makes the deal a good one even if it doesnt work out.

The D still definitely needs help, though. I agree with you there. I think the 2025 pick, depending on where it is, should be focused there. We have the 1-2 at C. We have a potnenial #1G. We have several potential wingers. However, Dick (and mukh) are the only D that look like top 4 possibilities. I would love one more high end D prospect to compliment dick. That should be easily accomplished by the 2025 pick or even possibly a good development year for Cagnoni, pohlcamp, or thompson.

Persoally, I feel like this year is one of the most important in sharks history. The cupboard is pretty full, but its full of unknowns. By the end of this year, we should have a pretty good idea of who is who and what can be expected.

Can the season start already!!???
It can be a key piece if your goalie can show consistency. Problem is that a large majority of goalies in the league and as prospects don't have that ability. Hopefully, Askarov is different and they're investing into him with the belief that he is but if he's not then we're still in goalie roulette for the most part.

The D is where it takes time and patience that may not be in line with where they think the young core should be at. Dickinson may not be a regular for four years or more. They don't have a righty that has shown much at a high level. Havelid is the one that has the highest draft pedigree on the right side. Pohlkamp could be a good depth option but they need an elite talent on defense to be a real #1. Dickinson is a solid pick but I don't think he's got that kind of potential and I don't think anyone in our system has that though Mukhamadullin has a lot of the tools for it. We still got a ways to go but our ability to compete for the playoffs is going to lie on the blue line.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Different times. Niemi's best year his .924 save percentage was tied for 6th where as last year he would have lead by .003

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Well I did say highly drafted prospect, but yeah I guess you could say teams were disappointed in what they saw from Edstrom too if they viewed him as a trade chip.
Much like Nashville trading Askarov, Vegas traded Edstrom because they are trying to win now and valued Hertl in the short term over Edstrom in the long term, it doesn't say anything about how they viewed him as a prospect rather just what their organizational priorities are in the moment

The Sharks also may think highly of Edstrom but saw a need in their prospect pool in goal and were willing to sacrifice from their surplus at center to satisfy that need, not every piece sent out the door means the organization secretly thinks they suck

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Much like Nashville trading Askarov, Vegas traded Edstrom because they are trying to win now and valued Hertl in the short term over Edstrom in the long term, it doesn't say anything about how they viewed him as a prospect rather just what their organizational priorities are in the moment

The Sharks also may think highly of Edstrom but saw a need in their prospect pool in goal and were willing to sacrifice from their surplus at center to satisfy that need, not every piece sent out the door means the organization secretly thinks they suck
Hopefully you're right and Nashville just traded a future superstar for the 31st overall pick.

Reactions: CHALUPA

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

I’m guessing Nashville said they wanted a C prospect and Sharks said no to Smith and Celebrini so Nashville could choose between Bystedt and Edstrom.

Reactions: weastern bias

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Hopefully you're right and Nashville just traded a future superstar for the 31st overall pick.
Askarov might be great and he might bust out, but that has nothing to do with Nashville sending him out

They traded a distressed asset who publicly requested a trade for a lottery ticket that could be anywhere from pick 2 to pick 32 and a decent center prospect with middle-six upside, I think they made out great given a disadvantageous situation

I'd rather they just traded a future superstar for the 15th pick.
TBH, after knowing how painful a finals loss is I think pick 31 is the funniest outcome

Reactions: landshark

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Askarov might be great and he might bust out, but that has nothing to do with Nashville sending him out

They traded a distressed asset who publicly requested a trade for a lottery ticket that could be anywhere from pick 2 to pick 32 and a decent center prospect with middle-six upside, I think they made out great given a disadvantageous situation

TBH, after knowing how painful a finals loss is I think pick 31 is the funniest outcome
I don't think I can handle living here during another deep playoff run. Postseason Hockey is so much more enjoyable for me once they're out.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Not for me. Honestly it's way more enjoyable watching the fanbase completely lose their minds when they do'nt make the playoffs. When you're close they all find positives. i'd rather they just go into full meltdown mode.
As long as they lose I'm happy

In all honesty I want them to give us the #1 pick, so I'm actually on your side, I just think the only pick close to as funny to surrender is #31

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Revisiting this, it’s actually insane to me that some people are worried about the return. Askarov is heralded as a *franchise-changing goalie*. He may not get there, of course there are concerns, but getting a Celebrini-level prospect for f***ing Edstrom and likely a late 1st, you kidding me? You make that deal every single day.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
2019 Sharks
Wasn't a strength, but scoring 2 goals combined in the final 3 games of the WCF sunk that team (mostly due to injuries). Had they gone out in the 1st round to Vegas, goaltending would have been the reason. Could have put prime Lundqvist back there and we weren't getting past STL in Games 4-6 when we couldn't score a goal and had Gambrell as 2C.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Revisiting this, it’s actually insane to me that some people are worried about the return. Askarov is heralded as a *franchise-changing goalie*. He may not get there, of course there are concerns, but getting a Celebrini-level prospect for f***ing Edstrom and likely a late 1st, you kidding me? You make that deal every single day.
I agree. The success of the deal doesn't depend on where the pick ends up, but how good Askarov ends up being. If he lives up to the hype then the deal is successful regardless of return. If he doesn't then that pick could ultimately be 32 and we'd still come out on the losing side.

Reactions: Jargon

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I wouldn't call him a Celebrini level prospect as goalie prospects are inherently much more volatile than high-level 2-way centermen, but the point you make is absolutely correct

This is risky, but the upside of this deal is insane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad