Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I mean it was more about not giving all 3 of them much time to prove themselves more than a "Wiseman was actually a starter for x games while Askarov only started 2 games for Nashville" comparison.

Either way Nashville didn't believe Askarov was part of their future based on what they saw from him with his time as a prospect. Definitely would have been nice if the 49ers/Warriors could have gotten a comparable package though.
Except those 2 players both were given more time to prove themselves than they earned

The team situation was comparable to Nashville in that teams were trying to compete, the difference is that the Predators aren't gifting a starting role to their high draft pick in favor of a seasoned veteran, and once the Niners and Warriors moved on they both at least made the finals, proving the Predators are making the smart choice if they want to win now

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Isn't mukh askarov's best friend or something

I'm sure GMMG got an inside scoop on what kind of person askarov is, even if it's from a biased source, I think GMMG is confident enough that he's not trading for a locker room cancer like Nashville implied

Btw, say what you want about whether it's right or wrong to publicly demand a trade, but Nashville definitely didn't take the high road either

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Yes I do, using a Bay Area example a lot of people complained about Tery Lance/James Wiseman never getting an opportunity.

Turns out most of the time people that watch these prospects every single day in practice are pretty good at evaluating what they will end up being, and if they are not being giving the chance it is likely for a reason.
i think you are confusing “what they will end up being” with “what they are”. It is pretty clear Nashville didn’t see Askarov as the right guy to be the back-up this coming season and possibly next. They *may* have been more inclined to give Saros the deal they did because they didn’t see Askarov the better long-term option.

What is also clear is that, with Saros locked up long-term, Askarov’s value to NSH’s success within the team’s competitive window was in terms of trade capital rather than roster contributions.

Neither of those speak to Nashville’s evaluation of what he may become as a player.

Last edited:

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Except those 2 players both were given more time to prove themselves than they earned

The team situation was comparable to Nashville in that teams were trying to compete, the difference is that the Predators aren't gifting a starting role to their high draft pick in favor of a seasoned veteran, and once the Niners and Warriors moved on they both at least made the finals, proving the Predators are making the smart choice if they want to win now
Trey Lance got literally 2 games and a drive (1 one of which he was actually pretty good in, in a must win game against Texas) at a position where even pretty good players aren't very good in their rookie seasons (with a couple exceptions). It wasn't his performance in games that was the reason they decided to move on.

And the Warriors made the finals before they traded Wiseman btw.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Trey Lance got literally 2 games and a drive (1 one of which he was actually pretty good in, in a must win game against Texas) at a position where even pretty good players aren't very good in their rookie seasons (with a couple exceptions). It wasn't his performance in games that was the reason they decided to move on.

And the Warriors made the finals before they traded Wiseman btw.
Trey Lance never looked good, he couldn't even complete a pass against the dogshit Chicago Bears in the 1st half before the typhoon kicked off

The year before he had 2 TDs and a pick against the 4-13 Texans, not exactly the second coming there

It was absolutely Lance's performance that got him booted, he couldn't beat the last pick in the draft or Sam Darnold out of camp in 2023, he's not an NFL player

The Warriors made the finals the year Wiseman missed the entire season due to injury, he was gifted the starting job straight out of the draft the season before

The Warriors cut bait on Wiseman when they realized he's a 7 footer who can't box out or rebound and his ball skills are redundant on a team with Steph Curry controlling play, he got minutes he didn't earn because he was the 2nd pick in the draft

The Askarov situation is the opposite, he was traded because there was no opportunity for him, to be comparable he would have had to have been fed starts he didn't earn and perform poorly in them, he's played 3 NHL games total and mostly looked good in them, it's apples to oranges

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Trey Lance never looked good, he couldn't even complete a pass against the dogshit Chicago Bears in the 1st half before the typhoon kicked off

The year before he had 2 TDs and a pick against the 4-13 Texans, not exactly the second coming there

It was absolutely Lance's performance that got him booted, he couldn't beat the last pick in the draft or Sam Darnold out of camp in 2023, he's not an NFL player

The Warriors made the finals the year Wiseman missed the entire season due to injury, he was gifted the starting job straight out of the draft the season before

The Warriors cut bait on Wiseman when they realized he's a 7 footer who can't box out or rebound and his ball skills are redundant on a team with Steph Curry controlling play, he got minutes he didn't earn because he was the 2nd pick in the draft

The Askarov situation is the opposite, he was traded because there was no opportunity for him, to be comparable he would have had to have been fed starts he didn't earn and perform poorly in them, he's played 3 NHL games total and mostly looked good in them, it's apples to oranges
I mean he had like a 118 passer rating being thrown out there due to an injury, and one bad game in monsoon like you mentioned. And yes not being able to beat out the last pick in the draft just like Askarov lost the backup spot to Wedgewood.

He had every opportunity to show that he was too good for the AHL but flopped with an absolutely terrible second half to the season.

Reactions: Sandisfan

JackSkellington

Pumpkin King
Feb 18, 2016
South Florida
I really don’t understand and highly disagree with the ohhh Nashville must’ve not liked what they saw from Askarov so they traded him. Nashville is in win now mode with all the moves Trotz made so risking that and getting rid of your already legit goalie in Saros made no sense at all. Makes sense to trade him especially when he already made it known he wants out due to no path to being a starter and Trotz wasn’t going to have him sign an offer sheet and get nothing compared to what he just got.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I mean he had like a 118 passer rating being thrown out there due to an injury, and one bad game in monsoon like you mentioned. And yes not being able to beat out the last pick in the draft just like Askarov lost the backup spot to Wedgewood.

He had every opportunity to show that he was too good for the AHL but flopped with an absolutely terrible second half to the season.
Again, it was the 2021 Texans, not much of a barometer

He didn't actually lose a backup spot to anyone, Wedgewood was signed this summer, he just refused to compete for the opportunity to spend 8 years behind Jusse Saros when he's in a contract year, he did the smart thing and publicly asked out, he'll absolutely have an opportunity in San Jose that wasn't afforded to him in Nashville

He's been up and down in the minors, but he's 22 years old, he's not done cooking, he probably still plays games with the Barracuda this year, I bet he doesn't cross 20 starts for the Sharks this season and that's perfectly fine, that's what the stop gaps are here for, but it's important from his POV that they're stop gaps and not Vezina candidates signed to big money long term

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I really don’t understand and highly disagree with the ohhh Nashville must’ve not liked what they saw from Askarov so they traded him. Nashville is in win now mode with all the moves Trotz made so risking that and getting rid of your already legit goalie in Saros made no sense at all. Makes sense to trade him especially when he already made it known he wants out due to no path to being a starter and Trotz wasn’t going to have him sign an offer sheet and get nothing compared to what he just got.
I mean this whole argument started because somebody mentioned how even if the Vegas pick ended up being top 10 pick it would still be worth it since he was drafted 11th and developed with Nashville for 4 years with their excellent history of goaltending prospects, and I brought up how he was the first of those prospects to be traded too.

If Askarov had played better in the AHL he would still be in Nashville. Boston just shipped out a Vezina winner in the same situation because their prospect outplayed him.

Reactions: coooldude

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I mean this whole argument started because somebody mentioned how even if the Vegas pick ended up being top 10 pick it would still be worth it since he was drafted 11th and developed with Nashville for 4 years with their excellent history of goaltending prospects, and I brought up how he was the first of those prospects to be traded too.

If Askarov had played better in the AHL he would still be in Nashville. Boston just shipped out a Vezina winner in the same situation because their prospect outplayed him.
Jeremy Swayman is 25 years old and has started 76 games in a platoon for the Bruins over the last 2 years and was their starter in the playoffs this year, calling him a "prospect" is disingenuous and once again these situations are not comparable

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Jeremy Swayman is 25 years old and has started 76 games in a platoon for the Bruins over the last 2 years and was their starter in the playoffs this year, calling him a "prospect" is disingenuous and once again these situations are not comparable
I meant when Swayman dominated the AHL in his D+4 and was promoted to the Bruins.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

No one is saying Askarov is better than Saros now. What we are saying is that Nashville is trying to win now and is keeping the best of the two goalies. We are hoping in a few years Askarov enters a long window of elite play.

these are the facts you should be drawing conclusions from

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Comparing the development of newly drafted NHLers to NFLers is wild.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
No one is saying Askarov is better than Saros now. What we are saying is that Nashville is trying to win now and is keeping the best of the two goalies. We are hoping in a few years Askarov enters a long window of elite play.

these are the facts you should be drawing conclusions from
And I disagree that they would be trading him at all if they still thought he was going to be an elite level goalie. That is just their opinion though.

Comparing the development of newly drafted NHLers to NFLers is wild.
I mean he was the one who kept trying to go into the specifics of my broad comparison, where my point was that teams giving up on a young and highly drafted prospect so early is usually not a good sign.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
And I disagree that they would be trading him at all if they still thought he was going to be an elite level goalie. That is just their opinion though.
So how could he become an elite level goalie in the future if they already had an elite level goalie (Saros) who they needed to play to maximize their window?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad