Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Jake Walman and 2nd round pick 2024 (#53) for future considerations

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
At first I thought we gave up our 2nd and was not too pleased. But getting a 2nd? Seems great. We need to reach the cap floor anyway
Maybe if we don’t do a trade up and keep all the 2nds, we take a swing on a goalie with one of those picks?
It takes 2 to tango. If no one willing to let the Sharks trade up, it is still good to have more early rounds picks.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Does Grier ever miss?
Kunin and Lindblom.

One might also argue Zadina and the Knyzhov extension, but they were both pretty cheap. I'm not going to go after near-minimum short-term deals like Svechnikov and Givani Smith - basically free acquisitions to fill space and maybe turn into something, and if they fail they fail, whatever.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I just wanted to say--hopefully MG is reading this thread, lol--that I'm personally very thankful for all this activity of late. I succumbed to Covid for the first time over the weekend and lord knows I need all the distractions I can get. Grier basically going full-on video game GM this week certainly is helping, what with all the conversation it's created.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I just wanted to say--hopefully MG is reading this thread, lol--that I'm personally very thankful for all this activity of late. I succumbed to Covid for the first time over the weekend and lord knows I need all the distractions I can get. Grier basically going full-on video game GM this week certainly is helping, what with all the conversation it's created.
I hope your symptoms are minimal and that you feel better soon!

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If JGP is in the cards, I’d like to see Grier send one of his seconds to Lou for JGP + 20th overall.
Value doesn’t work. 54th is worth like 4.5 while 20th is worth like 18.75. So if we say Pageau is worth negative 4.5, that means we have to give up 14.25 in value to get to 20. So that would be 33 and 53 to take on Pageau and get 20th.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Zadina and Lindblom didn't work out, but they were UFAs so not a big deal. Giving up a 3rd (ironically Kiiskenen) for Kunin is a miss, but at the end of the day he's a good 4th liner and a leader. We suck in the third, though I wouldn't be surprised to learn that SJ would have targeted Jacob Fowler with that pick.

Grier mentioned we were intrigued by goalies last year but multiple went just before SJ picked. Fowler was 4 picks before Svoboda. Gajan a pick before Hultanen (himself just before Hrabal/Augustine). Quentin Miller also went two picks before Landen and 4 before Pohlkamp.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Detroit just swapped prospects with Nashville and added the second they traded the Sharks. This was essentially a free 2nd round pick that Detroit sent the Sharks.
Not done yet. Playoff time is when Defensemen are overvalues to a decimated team that is making the playoff with injuries to their D. Grier can still trade Walman to a playoff team for 2025 1st round pick during this 24-25 season Trading Deadline. Essentially getting a 1st and a 2nd round for nothing.

hotcabbagesoup

Save us Celebrini!
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

I'm praying for you, bud. And take some Vitamin C. Stay strong.

Reactions: timorous me

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Value doesn’t work. 54th is worth like 4.5 while 20th is worth like 18.75. So if we say Pageau is worth negative 4.5, that means we have to give up 14.25 in value to get to 20. So that would be 33 and 53 to take on Pageau and get 20th.
Thanks for the breakdown, I appreciate it. 👍

Depending on who falls to #20, that could be tempting…

Would you do that?

This trade was such good value for us that Wings fans are convinced there’s some secret component that ends with us trading #14 to them. Crazy.

I will admit that this trade is so good I’m almost concerned there’s a catch.
I’m worried about a catch, too… 😅

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
This trade was such good value for us that Wings fans are convinced there’s some secret component that ends with us trading #14 to them. Crazy.

I will admit that this trade is so good I’m almost concerned there’s a catch.
There is a theory going on that Sharks and Detroit would swap picks at #14 and #15 if Detroit has their player available at #14. It would be a very minimal move but I don't believe it being true.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
If that was the consideration, why not just announce the 14 <-> 15 swap now?

It could be something like DET holds the option to make the swap, but if they elect not to do it, then they get some other lesser pick. If that's the case, you wouldn't announce it now. Or at least you wouldn't have to publicly announce it now.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
If that was the consideration, why not just announce the 14 <-> 15 swap now?
What if the guy Detroit wants is gone by then, but the guy we want is there?

I suspect, if that is the agreement, that we would sent Detroit something else in the event that Detroit's target is gone by #14.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Great f***ing deal, wow. Assuming that Thrun gets a 2-year deal, that LD group becomes pretty full for the next 2 seasons between Ferraro, Thrun, and Walman with Vlasic chilling in the pressbox. I doubt they expect Mukh to be in the AHL for another 1-2 years...so maybe a Ferraro trade on the horizon?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It could be something like DET holds the option to make the swap, but if they elect not to do it, then they get some other lesser pick. If that's the case, you wouldn't announce it now. Or at least you wouldn't have to publicly announce it now.
If that’s the case, then why announce the 53rd pick going to us now? Just do a separate pick trade later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad