Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Jake Walman and 2nd round pick 2024 (#53) for future considerations

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
We know that the Wings were going to be in a cap crunch, and a move to help bring relief was likely on the cards, but I don’t think anyone expected them to shed cap like this. Walman, despite his injuries, was Detroit’s second-best defenseman when healthy. I don’t really need to explain it much — he and Seider, as a pair, played the toughest minutes the NHL had to offer last season...

I am very curious at the thought process behind this move. Walman was loved by fans, teammates, and presumably coaching. Unless there is huge trade news on the horizon, it’s impossible to make sense out of this move… At least for me.

Bottom Line: There is no way Detroit needed to spend a second-round pick to move Walman.
Red Wings trade Walman, draft pick to Sharks

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Personally, I think it’s even. I would have taken 53rd overall with Goodrow and Walman for free happily. I still don’t like the shenanigans with the waiver claim but value wise I’m content.
I don’t know enough about Walman is he a Detroit equivalent of Ferraro? I wonder if this means Grier will package 14th and 33rd to move up to the 5-8 range in the first

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Reading about Walman im even more impressed.

I have a feeling we’re either moving into the 1st by trading a couple of 2nds (if there’s a guy we want) or really trying hard to get into the top 10 with a 14 + 2 1st offer.

Also does feel like a possible Ferraro deal is on the table, then again, Ferraro, Walman, Emerson, Muhk, Thrun + …Trouba? … starts looking like an actual defense.

Reactions: karltonian

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Ha! You think you had rough deployment playing with Seider in Detroit? Get ready for top pairing with 24 minutes a night with Jan Ruuta, and Barclay Goodrow/Luke Kunin/Ty Dellandra/player to be named later as your middle six wingers.

Love this trade, wouldn't have been happy giving up 42nd for Walman, but he's legitimately our best our second best d-man by some distance, is reasonable priced, and has only two years left. We may get another 2nd in 2026 when we move him at the 2025 deadline. Maybe he becomes our number 4 for a while longer.

Right now, he's probably my pick for PP trigger (Celebrini, Eklund, and Smith will be the setup guys).

Really happy to have another late 2nd to use as capital to move up (Ferraro may also be gone). Hoping for two more deals like this (and a monster top 64 at the draft). Definitely prefer quality to quantity. 42 and 53 can be used to move up from 14 and/or 33.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can only assume the mystery of why we got a 2nd rounder with Walman cancels out the mystery of why we got nothing for taking on Goodrow's contract.
Honestly, who knows.... if there was a deal to be made between NYR and Det, figure they would announce it at the same time. But, who knows... No one can figure out why Walman needs a 2nd attached to him to get traded....

Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Now that MG is cooking, I think we'll see a lot more this offseason.
I think the team as a whole will look a lot different and with the new coach it's good to be excited.
As long as we don't lose good assets for free, I'm fine with trying to fix the whole group for the new wave. Realistically it's going to be a hard year, but I think if things go according to the plan we start seeing big improvement and people watching more games.

Reactions: Jargon and cheechoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad