Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Cody Ceci and 2025 3rd for Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Multiple NHL coaching staffs seem to disagree since he's been playing top four minutes on playoff teams for about 5 years running.
By the time SJ is a fringe competitor again he's gonna be close to mid-thirties.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
By the time SJ is a fringe competitor again he's gonna be close to mid-thirties.
We should be trying to get to fringe competitor status by 2025-26 when he'll be 31/32.

Anyway we don't have to extend Ceci but at least this trade gives us the option to do so. He's certainly an upgrade over Emberson.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Except Ceci is still playing in your top 4 which isn't a good thing (otherwise Edmonton would have kept him and/or not healthy scratched him during the SCF and his underlying stats would not be as bad as they are).

Ceci vs Emberson is not likely to be franchise altering, but I also just don't see it as a good or worthwhile move at this time. It feels like the Polak over Demelo situation of 2016 where you're giving up the potential upside of a late blooming young player with small sample size success for an older veteran who has proven to not be good but is a veteran. At least in that case, you weren't trading the younger player and simply just playing the known bad player.

If Emberson turns out to be a small sample size success but a flop over the long-term, so be it. I'd at least rather ride out that experiment with hopes that maybe he is Demelo/Middleton than get a mid round pick and/or have Ceci for his age 32-34 seasons. Just seems like a bad computation of risk/reward because the reward is negligible.
I will say that the Polak over Demelo was not just the veteran thing but more of the playoff tested thing.

Reactions: tiburon12

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I know it's a landmine, but Ceci was only scratched for game 2 in the SCF, and his minutes increased as the series went on. Played 17, 19, 18 minutes in G5-7, while Broberg (as an example) went down (17, 16:44, 14).

So I don't think that we should downplay the guy as some 7th D, he was relied upon for 2nd pairing minutes in the SCF and obviously contributed to the comeback.

EDIT: more minutes than Nurse, for example, in G5-7.

Reactions: Alaskanice

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I know it's a landmine, but Ceci was only scratched for game 2 in the SCF, and his minutes increased as the series went on. Played 17, 19, 18 minutes in G5-7, while Broberg (as an example) went down (17, 16:44, 14).

So I don't think that we should downplay the guy as some 7th D, he was relied upon for 2nd pairing minutes in the SCF and obviously contributed to the comeback.

EDIT: more minutes than Nurse, for example, in G5-7.
I don't mind saying he was a #4 on a competitive team. The issue is that that competitive team was willing to pay to get rid of his final year AND that's not what he's going to be asked to do here. Chances are real good that Ceci is the top RHD in minutes for the Sharks next year. And if he's paired with Ferraro, that pairing is not going to look good as a top pairing and is not the sort of pairing that's going to be very good at getting Celebrini and Smith the puck which is the primary goal of the upcoming season.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I don't mind saying he was a #4 on a competitive team. The issue is that that competitive team was willing to pay to get rid of his final year AND that's not what he's going to be asked to do here. Chances are real good that Ceci is the top RHD in minutes for the Sharks next year. And if he's paired with Ferraro, that pairing is not going to look good as a top pairing and is not the sort of pairing that's going to be very good at getting Celebrini and Smith the puck which is the primary goal of the upcoming season.
You're right about everything, I would only add... It will be better than it would have been without the trade. Was gonna be a long year, will still be a long year after the trade. (Edit: Unless there's an unexpected Emberson breakout)

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
We don't need Ferraro-Ceci to "look good" as a top pairing we just need them to eat 23 of our toughest minutes every game without getting gassed or demoralized which they've both demonstrated they're capable of doing.

We certainly don't need them to spend much time sharing the ice with Celebrini and Smith. Ferraro and Ceci are here to fulfill the same role as Wennberg, Goodrow, Sturm and Kunin up front which will free up Walman and Thrun or Mukhamadullin to support our scoring lines.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We don't need Ferraro-Ceci to "look good" as a top pairing we just need them to eat 23 of our toughest minutes every game without getting gassed or demoralized which they've both demonstrated they're capable of doing.

We certainly don't need them to spend much time sharing the ice with Celebrini and Smith. Ferraro and Ceci are here to fulfill the same role as Wennberg, Goodrow, Sturm and Kunin up front which will free up Walman and Thrun or Mukhamadullin to support our scoring lines.
What are you talking about? Of course Celebrini and Smith are going to share a lot of time with their top two minute eaters. And if they can't effectively get the puck to the forwards, which nobody currently slated to be in the starting lineup is really all that good at, it's going to get them gassed and demoralized.

Reactions: STL Shark

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What are you talking about? Of course Celebrini and Smith are going to share a lot of time with their top two minute eaters. And if they can't effectively get the puck to the forwards, which nobody currently slated to be in the starting lineup is really all that good at, it's going to get them gassed and demoralized.
Warsofsky should be managing the bench in a way that Celebrini and Smith end up playing mostly against other teams' bottom six forwards and on the power play, neither of which are situations Ferraro and Ceci will be heavily used in. Also Ceci is good at moving the puck.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That would be nice but that's not what this upcoming season is looking like.
No, it’s not gonna happen in one offseason, but with the talent up front that should be the short term goal. Even still, not having Vlasic and Burroughs and Addison and Macdonald and Okhtiuk is addition by subtraction.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Warsofsky should be managing the bench in a way that Celebrini and Smith end up playing mostly against other teams' bottom six forwards and on the power play, neither of which are situations Ferraro and Ceci will be heavily used in. Also Ceci is good at moving the puck.
I disagree but regardless it's just not going to happen where a team dedicating itself to the development of players like Celebrini and Smith are going to play away from their top two defensemen in ice time. That's just not realistic. Also, Ceci is not good at moving the puck. He may be better than what we've had but he's not good.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This simply won't happen on the road when the opponents have last change, opossing coaches are going to be targeting our teenaged centermen until they put enough play on film to make opposing scouting reports encourage them to avoid doing so

They're going to be sharing ice time with Ferraro and Ceci, especially if they really do end up being 20+ minute munchers for us, not all of the deployment will be ideal, but it is also important that the young guys take their lumps

I imagine the pairs look like this:

Ferraro-Ceci
Walman-Benning
Thrun-Rutta
Vlasic

Ferraro and Ceci will absolutely get some shit shoveling duty, they're gonna face some of the hardest minutes in the NHL this year and it's going to get ugly at times, but it's better they deal with it rather than forcing someone like Thrun or Mukhamadullin to do so, they're here to man the front line and take the casualties so the reinforcements (our prospects) can man the next wave

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I don’t see an argument that he is better than Walman. Walman plays just as many “tough minutes” as Ceci does and Walman’s “bad year” in terms of results is basically Ceci’s norm.
Maybe last year by the analytics, but Ceci has played far more games at a higher level of intensity (playoffs). Don't get me wrong, they're both best as 2nd pairing, and I'm not going to die on this hill, but I do see the argument for Ceci.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
The Devils pick was in the 21-30 range, so I’m not sure there was much luck with how that trade turned out. The Pens pick turning out better wasn’t really luck either. Grier like many probably saw the Penguins would very likely not be a good team and made the trade with the expectation they’d probably end up with a top 15 pick which they did . I think Grier did well on both trades and probably deserves a bit more credit than simply lucking out when things turn out the way he had probably planned
My favorite part of the pens draft pick Grier made was moving up to get Dickinson and holding onto 33 that’s has been his best trade so far imo

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
You know what, I think the sharks are going to make a real surprise performance this year and be a whole lot better than people think.

Their D now has a whole lot more experience and quality. Walman and Ceci arent Hughes and makar, but they sure as hell are better than borroughs and Addison. Furthermore, Thrun now has a year of NHL experience under his belt. Most young players tend to improve on their freshman season, so I expect that he will be a much better player. The sharks also expressed support for him with the 2 year deal, and he clearly has high expectations of himself. I think he may be a big improvement over himself. Mukh is the big unknown, but he was an AHL all star, so he may step in and proove some real quality minutes. The D is nothing to write home about, but it's a whole lot improved over last years and not relying on Borroughs, Addison, Ohtiuk, and rookies in thrun and emberson is a big win.

The O is also well improved. Hertl and duclair are out, but the additions are significant. Hoffman, Labanc, Barabonov, etc were so bad. The sharks had Hertl (when he was healthy) and the lund line, and that's pretty much it. This year, they will have at leaset two full scoring lines With Celebrini, Smith, Toffoli, Granlund, Eklund, Zetterlund and a third line with good experience and defensive prowess with Wennberg. I wish they had one or two more good solid 40 pt vets, but its a much better offensive team than last year.

lastly, I think Quinn made a hug difference. He was a horrific hire, and has been a terrible coach most everywhere in the NHL that hes gone, as his teams have failed to make PO's ever (aside from weird 2020 year, and did not win a game that year). His career coahcing win loss is 137-235, and even at BU, he was only 105-90, not amazing for such a high level hockey school. The sharks' 3rd period goal differential was so amazingly terrible, and the culture of the team wreaked of indifference and defeat.

Warsofsky seems to understand how to build relationships with players and get them bought in. he's made to the championships in the ECHL and won the calder cup. hes been a winner most everywhere, so we'll see what he can do with this crew, but I think he'll get a whole lot more out of them comparied to Quinn, who has a proven track record of sucking. Obviously, the proof will be in the pudding...

Overall, the sharks are just a much improved team. They have much more talent at O, more talent and experience at D, and a likely much better coach. We also have a roster of far more competitive and hungry players with pride. Smtih, celly, mukh... these guys are driven. Toffoli is a great driven vet who is excited to be here. We arent some hodgepodge of defeated old guys (hoffman, lebanc, etc), dissatisfied vets, and #7 journeyman defensemen. We have a real roster (well sorta), and I think it's gunna be WAY better than before. The whole climate around the sharks feels completely different...

I think we are in for a surprise...

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You know what, I think the sharks are going to make a real surprise performance this year and be a whole lot better than people think.

Their D now has a whole lot more experience and quality. Walman and Ceci arent Hughes and makar, but they sure as hell are better than borroughs and Addison. Furthermore, Thrun now has a year of NHL experience under his belt. Most young players tend to improve on their freshman season, so I expect that he will be a much better player. The sharks also expressed support for him with the 2 year deal, and he clearly has high expectations of himself. I think he may be a big improvement over himself. Mukh is the big unknown, but he was an AHL all star, so he may step in and proove some real quality minutes. The D is nothing to write home about, but it's a whole lot improved over last years and not relying on Borroughs, Addison, Ohtiuk, and rookies in thrun and emberson is a big win.

The O is also well improved. Hertl and duclair are out, but the additions are significant. Hoffman, Labanc, Barabonov, etc were so bad. The sharks had Hertl (when he was healthy) and the lund line, and that's pretty much it. This year, they will have at leaset two full scoring lines With Celebrini, Smith, Toffoli, Granlund, Eklund, Zetterlund and a third line with good experience and defensive prowess with Wennberg. I wish they had one or two more good solid 40 pt vets, but its a much better offensive team than last year.

lastly, I think Quinn made a hug difference. He was a horrific hire, and has been a terrible coach most everywhere in the NHL that hes gone, as his teams have failed to make PO's ever (aside from weird 2020 year, and did not win a game that year). His career coahcing win loss is 137-235, and even at BU, he was only 105-90, not amazing for such a high level hockey school. The sharks' 3rd period goal differential was so amazingly terrible, and the culture of the team wreaked of indifference and defeat.

Warsofsky seems to understand how to build relationships with players and get them bought in. he's made to the championships in the ECHL and won the calder cup. hes been a winner most everywhere, so we'll see what he can do with this crew, but I think he'll get a whole lot more out of them comparied to Quinn, who has a proven track record of sucking. Obviously, the proof will be in the pudding...

Overall, the sharks are just a much improved team. They have much more talent at O, more talent and experience at D, and a likely much better coach. We also have a roster of far more competitive and hungry players with pride. Smtih, celly, mukh... these guys are driven. Toffoli is a great driven vet who is excited to be here. We arent some hodgepodge of defeated old guys (hoffman, lebanc, etc), dissatisfied vets, and #7 journeyman defensemen. We have a real roster (well sorta), and I think it's gunna be WAY better than before. The whole climate around the sharks feels completely different...

I think we are in for a surprise...
SJ is +40000 to win the cup. Want me to drop 100.00 on em for you?

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Sharks are 400-1 to the the cup.... Im think of putting down a Benjamin and rolling the dice:

1. The kids!!!: calder quality seasons for Smith and Celly as they compete with each other and drive each other forward. In additon, Musty has a crazy good camp using his size and skill to earn his 9 game tryout. He then puts up 4 goals and 10 pts in those 9 games, and forces the sharks to keep him for the year. Mukh also has a solid camp and uses his experience against men in the KHL and last year's AHL all star to solidify the blueline and make a calder run himself. (I remember when pickles came to camp as a 19 year old in 2006, and just played so unexpected well that he made the team and ended up playing over 22 mins, putting up 26 pts, +13 placing him 3rd on the team D in scoring, 3rd on the D in minutes, and first in +/-. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the sharks had a top 3 defenseman).

2. Dyllandrea takes a big step forward. He had 28 pts in dallas as a 22 year old with ZERO pp time, so with significant ice time in SJ as a 3rd liner and a little 2nd unit pp time, he goes for 40+ pts.

3. Walman captains the PP and puts in 20g, 40+ pts (he had 11 goals at EV last year, so what can he do with #1 pp time?). Ceci and wennberg help the PK improve to be a top 10 unit (this is warsofsky's specialty, so it's very possible).

4. Blackwood was excellent in the first half last year despite getting totally shelled, and in a contract year, he plays his ass off and steals some games.

5. Depth: unlike last year when injuries forced us to play very weak guys, we are 15+ NHLers deep with Bordy, Gushkin, and Cardwell, along with Bystedt making a case for NHL games. We can absorb injuries far easier and are far deeper for that inevitable injury bug.

6. Wild card: Couture? does he come back? Unexpected leap forward from Thompson? Haltunnen leaps forward and takes his rightful place in Ovie's office? many years, something unexpected happens and a player not on the radar suddenly comes into focus. Cagnoni? Robins?

Just like that, we have a top 10 PP (with a D that can shoot), top 10 PK, four of the best rookies in the entire league (smith and celly are both in the top 5 for calder odds), three legit scoring lines, and solid goaltending :)

STL was dead last in the league on january 1, 2019. They had fired their coach. A rookie goalie comes in, puts up a 1.89 GAA, .927 save%, and suddenly, 6 months later, they were cup champs.

Crazier things have happened!

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad