Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I read the tweet as he got some insurance and will play for team USA.

next point

Sens and Pinto have not reached a deal and have a gap to bridge.

2 separate points.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If
That would be such a homerun if Pinto takes less than $6 million
If Pinto gets $6M AAV, he will essentially be taking the salary dollars paid to Tarasenko last season. That will leave few dollars left to sign a Kubalik replacement via UFA.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If

If Pinto gets $6M AAV, he will essentially be taking the salary dollars paid to Tarasenko last season. That will leave few dollars left to sign a Kubalik replacement via UFA.
I think Kubalik LW will be replaced internally by Ostapchuk C/LW on a ELC or they get a cheap UFA LW like JV Reimsdyk LW for around $1 mil for 1 yr.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Funny you guys were talking about Kubalik being replaced and Dreger talked about it today on TSN 1200. Keep in mind, below is paraphrased because I was typing while listening and still had those stupid cars for kids ads stuck in my head.

Dreger said that Kubalik was always really charming and entertaining in the press box. He kept the mood high during long games. He isn't not sure it will be as easy to replace him as you guys think. He has heard good things about 2022 draft pick Tyson Dyck, but is not sure he will be able to overcome the incident from last year where he double dipped from the veggie platter. Normally, people in the hockey world are okay with that, everybody does it, but they just don't want to see you do it. Media, player, whatever, just wait until people aren't watching.

It really set him back as a projected press box guy for next year and now people are wondering what his future might be. Had it been a carrot, maybe he could come in and have a strong training camp, hold the door for people, up his game with the anecdotes, but he double dipped a broccoli. That's the same thing that led to Zack Smith being put on waivers, and as we know he was dealt shortly thereafter for Anisimov.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Funny you guys were talking about Kubalik being replaced and Dreger talked about it today on TSN 1200. Keep in mind, below is paraphrased because I was typing while listening and still had those stupid cars for kids ads stuck in my head.

Dreger said that Kubalik was always really charming and entertaining in the press box. He kept the mood high during long games. He isn't not sure it will be as easy to replace him as you guys think. He has heard good things about 2022 draft pick Tyson Dyck, but is not sure he will be able to overcome the incident from last year where he double dipped from the veggie platter. Normally, people in the hockey world are okay with that, everybody does it, but they just don't want to see you do it. Media, player, whatever, just wait until people aren't watching.

It really set him back as a projected press box guy for next year and now people are wondering what his future might be. Had it been a carrot, maybe he could come in and have a strong training camp, hold the door for people, up his game with the anecdotes, but he double dipped a broccoli. That's the same thing that led to Zack Smith being put on waivers, and as we know he was dealt shortly thereafter for Anisimov.
This is all valid and it gives me pause, but ultimately I think we need a new start. ANUSTART, for short.

• Haha
Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think Kubalik LW will be replaced internally by Ostapchuk C/LW on a ELC or they get a cheap UFA LW like JV Reimsdyk LW for around $1 mil for 1 yr.

I think the Kubalik replacement will be Crookshank or possibly Jarventie. I think Ostapchuk starts in the AHL and hopefully replaces Kastelic later in the year.

In any of those scenarios I think we're better off.

Ultimately I'd like to see:

Norris (if healthy) - Stü - Giroux
Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
Crookshank/Jarventie - Greig - Joseph
Kelly - Cogliano (UFA) - MacEwen/cheap UFA
Kastelic

Then Ostapchuk comes up to replace MacEwen, Kelly or Kastelic.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I think the Kubalik replacement will be Crookshank or possibly Jarventie. I think Ostapchuk starts in the AHL and hopefully replaces Kastelic later in the year.

In any of those scenarios I think we're better off.

Ultimately I'd like to see:

Norris (if healthy) - Stü - Giroux
Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
Crookshank/Jarventie - Greig - Joseph
Kelly - Cogliano (UFA) - MacEwen/cheap UFA
Kastelic

Then Ostapchuk comes up to replace MacEwen, Kelly or Kastelic.
Yeah, I guess Jarventie can do a good Kubalik impression by being a shy perimeter player with a good shot, but ideally I want someone better. Someone I can plug into the top 6 who can push Pinto down to the third line. I dream of a Greig - Pinto - Joseph third line.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I can’t remember who it was, maybe Bruce, who also said when Pinto came back from the suspension that the Sens would like to go long-term. Not 8 years but maybe 5 or 6.

I’m guessing he’s gonna cost around 6 million.
At $6M he is getting all of Tarasenko's salary last season plus $1M.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Doesn't have the numbers to get 6.
I would start negotiations at 4.5M over 6 years.
If we want 6 years, he’ll be close to 6M if not right there. I’d bridge him for 2 years at 3.5M if possible but it’ll get interesting. He is the perfect kind of player who could attract an offer sheet.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If we want 6 years, he’ll be close to 6M if not right there. I’d bridge him for 2 years at 3.5M if possible but it’ll get interesting. He is the perfect kind of player who could attract an offer sheet.
Watch Vegas offer sheet him

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I would bridge him 3 years x 3..x He'll have 1 RFA year left , then sign him long term..

His UFA year is 2028
I know but two years gives us clarity on what he will be. It’s still possible he turns into a #1 or high level #2.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I would bridge him 3 years x 3..x He'll have 1 RFA year left , then sign him long term..

His UFA year is 2028
This is a risky but interesting idea.

The risk is that we stall out and Pinto becomes a top line player (or close to top line)... basically Stone 2.0... and then walks to UFA/isn't willing to extend. And if Norris is permanently compromised and immovable, we will need to navigate very carefully.

On the other hand, the cap is tight and will go up significantly in the next 3-5 years. If Pinto tops out as a $6m player and wants to stick around, this is probably the best option.

I would rather go at least 5yrs but this move should tell us a bit about how Staois et al will operate moving forward

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad