Shanahan Post Season Presser

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He may as well reference Auston Matthews debut night scoring 4x goals and say “he can do that any given night.”
Not sure about you but Dubas doesn’t seem as confidence as before, I think he knows he is running out of time.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Not sure about you but Dubas doesn’t seem as confidence as before, I think he knows he is running out of time.

He’s definitely not very knowledgeable about hockey but he may be starting to realize if the core couldn’t beat a pathetic team like Montreal this year what chance will they have in the first round against Boston or Tampa next year?

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
As hilarious as those t-ball questions were to hear, as well as the delusional answers of Shanahan there is really only one thing left, especially for those that are only hanging on by a thread of Marners hair.

This is to wait until a couple weeks after UFA day. Because there probably wont be any other trades before the training camps open after July. If they legit do nothing to that core, and do nothing to the coaching...etc. people can make their decisions if they want to support the team by watching or buying merch..etc.

Marner, Hyman, Reilly. 4 in the core with major problems and cap ramifications. If this same group returns for next year intact and unchanged, I personally do not understand how anybody can be excited to watch a full season of this again. To me it would be like watching Game of Thrones seasons 1-6 again. Whats the point of wasting that time and energy knowing how it all gets thrown away.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
As an aside, watching TSN Overdrive and did want to say that Bryan Hayes is doing a very good job questioning a lot of what the 3 Stooges said during their presser.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It's pretty clear that:

A) Dubas thinks the core is fine.
B) He saw "good things" in games 5 & 6.
C) He's optimistic because them winning those 3 games means they can compete in the playoffs.

My conclusion: No big changes, therefore, next year will be more of the same. And the year after. And the year after that. At least until Dubas is replaced or he finally figures out this core does not want to learn how to compete in the playoffs.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
He’s definitely not very knowledgeable about hockey but he may be starting to realize if the core couldn’t beat a pathetic team like Montreal this year what chance will they have in the first round against Boston or Tampa next year?

He's not really too worried about that. The Leafs have no shot, zero chance of making the playoffs next year.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
My conclusion: No big changes, therefore, next year will be more of the same. And the year after. And the year after that. At least until Dubas is replaced or he finally figures out this core does not want to learn how to compete in the playoffs.
The goal is clear, turn the franchise into a virtue signaling PR machine and if they win a few along the way its gravy.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is where I am right now. He’s an absolutely horrible coach

I'm not a Keefefan but I don't think it's his fault either.

I take a lot of flack sometimes for saying coaching isn't a major factor in success. Talent, performing talent and health are more significant variables.

So, I don't praise them when they win and I won't take him down when he loses.

My view would be that Dubas should be let go. A nice shot golden parachute and all but I think we are done with the learning on the job thing.

The GM should be able to choose their coach. If that means Keefe goes, so be it.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Break up the core. Trade Marner.

bring a real NHL coach.
Not one that capitulates to Marner.
Maybe a real GM that doesn’t capitulate to Mariners dad.

we were the NHL cucks, Guys on Pitts, Tampa, Boston all said they take pay cuts to be part of the team.

Marner fleeces Dubas. And Keefe let’s him choose his positional play.

break it all up.

Yep, it's a joke. They're the laughing stock of the league and they won't acknowledge or do anything about it. They can just count on fans following the team regardless of performance so there's no pressure for them to be remotely competent at their jobs.

Reactions: rumman

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What did Masai said in his end of season presser before he traded for Kawhi? Did he said anything like he will trade DD, or nobody is safe?
Shanny or any smart Execs won’t come out and said I am willing to trade this player or nobody is safe….
If Marner is traded it will be a hockey and not a salary dump trade. If the best trade available for Marner is what the Leafs got for Phil, I don’t think they should make the trade. But if it is something like what the Nords got for the Sundin trade, that’s something Dubas needs to consider.

He fired his coach that just won 59 games and was going to win coach of the year 2 days after getting swept by Cleveland in 2018. Then got Kawhi a couple of months later.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Every org needs an iron fist like Lou to answer to. If you surround yourself with flakes then what you see is what you get.

This is what I don't get.

Shanahan, knew enough to grab respected, experienced guys like Lou and Babs to turn this franchise around, and I don't think any rational person would disagree that they did just that.

Of course there were some mistakes made, but holistically at the end of 3 years the team was much better off. Now maybe at this point it was time for a change, and it's been debated to death, so let's agree for a moment that it was time to move on from both guys,

So why does Shanahan move away from the formula that he just successfully used and hand the keys over to a couple of guys with zero NHL experience? I mean it's not some budget team like the Yotes that have to take these kinds of chances because it's all they can afford

I'll even go as far as conceding Dubas, but if you are going to go with a rookie GM, why would you let him hire a rookie coach as well?

The agents have their way with the inexperienced GM, and it seems the players may be having their way with an inexperienced coach.

Just seems like a flawed strategy to me.

Last edited:

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It was a genuine response ? Had I known you were this sensitive I never would have replied, going forward I'll be sure not too. Cheers.

The initial joke went over your head, it happens, just laugh it off and move on

I do agree but the Habs do have PP defenceman. Had Sandin not been injured most of the season he would have gotten those reps. Personally I would have used Muzzin because of his shot.

So Sandin could alternate passing the puck between Marner and Matthews instead of Reilly? Or are we going with he was much better on the PP because one of his shots got through? The PP was a disaster for 35+ games and neither the PP coach or the Head Coach dis much to address it. Pinning it on Reilly is a lazy excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Apologist

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He fired his coach that just won 59 games and was going to win coach of the year 2 days after getting swept by Cleveland in 2018. Then got Kawhi a couple of months later.
But did he said anything about trading DD?
I am asking bc I really don’t know

Curt

Jun 28, 2018
Just a bunch of garbage. Im done with this team until marner is gone

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
He also talked about a killer instinct that cannot be learned, you have to be born with it.
That's what they said pre-1997 for at least five years about Detroit in general and Yzerman especially.

Ujiri built a championship team because he’s an experienced basketball GM and has the ability to accurately evaluate players.
I remember a lot of fan frustration about him pre-2019.

Masia isn't the GM of the Raptors lol
Not in title, but he is for all intents and purposes.

Reactions: The Apologist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad