Shanahan Post Season Presser

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
if Tavares doesnt get hurt, are we having this conversation, or are we talking about the Leafs vs Winnipeg?

Best value would be all players on their entry level deals. unfortunately, for us those expired for our core players, and had covid hit in 2018 we would have everyone under contract at 'bargain' deals but we dont.
there are only 4 teams in the league that had tangible cap space this year Det, Ott, LA, and NJD ...everyone else had to make players fit.
Ott will be in trouble soon, as Tkachuk needs a new deal, and they used 6.25 on Murray who has been a flop for them (3 yrs left) as it sits now they have $ 8.4 how much of that is Tkachuk going to use (and Batherson to a lesser extent), and then have Norris, then Stutzle to resign in the next 2 seasons after this.
Having this conversation.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
People are acting like we lost to an actual playoff caliber team. They blew a 3-1 series lead against an average team at best. It’s truly pathetic, and anyone that is making excuses has drank far too much kool-aid
tenor.gif

Reactions: GoonieFace

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
if Tavares doesnt get hurt, are we having this conversation, or are we talking about the Leafs vs Winnipeg?

Best value would be all players on their entry level deals. unfortunately, for us those expired for our core players, and had covid hit in 2018 we would have everyone under contract at 'bargain' deals but we dont.
there are only 4 teams in the league that had tangible cap space this year Det, Ott, LA, and NJD ...everyone else had to make players fit.
Ott will be in trouble soon, as Tkachuk needs a new deal, and they used 6.25 on Murray who has been a flop for them (3 yrs left) as it sits now they have $ 8.4 how much of that is Tkachuk going to use (and Batherson to a lesser extent), and then have Norris, then Stutzle to resign in the next 2 seasons after this.

They were up 3-1 without JT and they couldn't get one more win in 3 tries? JT is not the reason they lost

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Injuries are apart of sport and part of the risk in putting so many eggs in one basket. Tampa was without Steven Stamkos whose been closely compared to Tavares their entire careers and still won the cup last year.

They have a far more balanced cap and 7-8 forwards who can play centre so they were able to overcome it.

The Leafs fall off a cliff after Tavares and another even larger cliff after Kerfoot. They can’t afford more good centres because they have no more money.

Just lost to Danault, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Staal, Evans and I think I’m forgetting another. THAT is depth at centre ice.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You got it! Don't see why it seems to be so hard to understand the playoffs are a different animal. 6 teams advanced to the 2nd round with less points than their opponents. All the talk during the presser was regular season and learning lessons. If you haven't learned your lessons by the time you get to this league and are making $11 million a year, I don't want you on my team.

Paul Maurice of the Jets in his interview yesterday said that during the last few weeks he got the team ready for the playoffs and changed his systems and structure and game plan .

His team lost most of their final games down the stretch adjusting, but then they swept McDavid and Co. because his team was in playoff mode stylistically.

You can't just flip a switch and go from free flowing regular season hockey, to tight checking playoff hockey overnight.

Last edited:

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017

They were up 3-1 without JT.

Next excuse

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Reactions: myleafs

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
But yet again, in a huge game, game 7 with health care workers in attendance, the effort they put in was embarrassing. They just rolled over like they always do in big games

Play for your injured Captain
Play for your injured Defensive rock of a team mate
Play for your beloved Coach
Play for the GM that has given you everything from money, to first class facilities, to veteran help
Play for the Health Care workers who have gone through hell for a year

What's it going to take to get these guys to play hard from the drop of the puck until the final whistle?

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Shanahan did a great job in terms of resetting the Maple Leafs, fixing the logo, mending fences with old players, designing a corporate hierarchy, etc.

But building the actual team, blue collar, skill, compete, etc. No.
you will get your Regular season flashy and fun. But if you want deep meaning and championship, no.
I still like the Ballard era logo, now too retro, not too new.......

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Play for your injured Captain
Play for your injured Defensive rock of a team mate
Play for your beloved Coach
Play for the GM that has given you everything from money, to first class facilities, to veteran help
Play for the Health Care workers who have gone through hell for a year

What's it going to take to get these guys to play hard from the drop of the puck until the final whistle?
A culture from the top down that demands it, not just hopes for it.

I saw that in the playoffs against Washington and parts of the Boston series’... not a lot since, though.

Reactions: myleafs and egd27

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
You mean during the off season when they would had a line up of candidates to choose from and time to make a decision?
And then have the new coach in place in time to run his own training camp?

Yea, that might have been a better idea.
Yeah you can see how that worked out they’ve only got worse since they Fired him imagine a sport we are trying to teach the younger guys so they don’t continue to fail the poor little Pre-Madonna’s The cry Stop playing for you you get you fired and today they’re still making the same mistakes No wonder Keith doesn’t want to be hard on them they cry and get him fired as well no accountability no heart no respect from your fans bottom line is own it How are they ever going to improve if they don’t think they’re doing anything wrong

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Paul Maurice of the Jets in his interview yesterday said that during the last few weeks he got the team ready for the playoffs and changed his systems and structure and game plan .

His team lost most of their final games down the stretch adjusting, but then they swept McDavid and Co. because his team was in playoff mode stylistically.

You can't just flip a switch and go from free flowing regular season hockey, to tight checking playoff hockey overnight.

Proven by the TML 5 years in a row.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
what you are suggesting is pure bullshit. Because like I mentioned in this last post, I've been a leafs fan my entire life. We are so reactionary in nature. We are calling for a big 4 guy to be traded today and when the deal is made we will cry that we didn't get enough and management f***ed up. That's what we do, the grass isn't always greener, you may think that moving one of the big four is the right move but it can also be the biggest mistake in Franchise history.

If a GOOD deal is there you make it. If not stay the course.

I'll ask again.

How many game 7's (and 5's) do we need to lose before you're ready to trade one of the 4?

After 5 first round loses, myself and most leaf fans are sick and tired of it. Its time for change because clearly changing the supporting cast has done very little.

Dubas and some of you seem to think that all we need is the right 3rd and 4th liners to instill some grit and will in the lineup when it has to come from your stars.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Just continually tolerating failure, and also not recognizing the glaring imbalance within the player types of the set of core players he has, makes it hard to support this plan under a flat cap.
I really hope the other teams in our division (Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo with the 1st overall) start getting better.

It will accomplish 2 things:

1. This team will either be exposed sooner with stiff competition throughout the year to make the playoffs.

2. The fact that better teams in your division don’t allow you to coast so you have to fight to get there. And if they can’t, see point number 1.

Reactions: rumman and LeafsRus

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
After having more time to digest the press conference, I am less confident in the vision of this management group than I was before.

It's going to take more than platitudes to turn this ship around. The fact that management is not even willing to acknowledge that their salary cap allocation strategy might be flawed after so many consecutive failures is a serious problem.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I think in a year from now, we will be discussing new president, GM, and coaching candidates.

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If a GOOD deal is there you make it. If not stay the course.

Who us suggesting making a bad deal? It seems like those that are open to moving one of the big four are only interested in doing so if it improves the team's chances of winning more.

At least that's what I'm seeing from any of the rational posters.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Who us suggesting making a bad deal? It seems like those that are open to moving one of the big four are only interested in doing so if it improves the team's chances of winning more.

At least that's what I'm seeing from any of the rational posters.

Most are saying Marner for Jones or Eichel which look like wins to me.

You could take less for Marner if it leaves them with 4+m in cap space to be used to help sign UFAs.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
After having more time to digest the press conference, I am less confident in the vision of this management group than I was before.

It's going to take more than platitudes to turn this ship around. The fact that management is not even willing to acknowledge that their salary cap allocation strategy might be flawed after so many consecutive failures is a serious problem.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I think in a year from now, we will be discussing new president, GM, and coaching candidates.

It's like with anything else the first step is acknowledging that there is a problem.

If the Leafs management can even admit something is wrong after 5 first round exists then I don't know what to say aside from the fact the entire management team should be fired.

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The Raptors made that gamble with Giannis and missed horribly. Now they are tasked with not having a team that was nearly as good as it was 2 years ago. I'd hate to see the leafs make that same mistake.

They gambled with the DeRozen for Leonard deal as well. I think that turned ok if I recall correctly.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I really hope the other teams in our division (Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo with the 1st overall) start getting better.

It will accomplish 2 things:

1. This team will either be exposed sooner with stiff competition throughout the year to make the playoffs.

2. The fact that better teams in your division don’t allow you to coast so you have to fight to get there. And if they can’t, see point number 1.

They will have their hands full with Boston, TB, Florida and possibly Montreal. They'd have to deal with Wash, Pitt, NYI, Philly and Carolina if they have to battle for a WC spot.

Reactions: egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad