OT: Severe Weather Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Newest NAM literally gives nothing to Long Island LOL

Thank God I don’t do this for a living anymore

With that said, we ain’t outta the woods just yet. Tomorrow late morning/afternoon is my “throw in the towel” time if I don’t see improvements in the guidance
NAM 12z Kuchera Snowfall gave LI 38 inches of snow. the 18z NAM gave LI not one flake. LOL

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
What are the times the euro, nam and gfs usually run? I know it goes by 00z 06z etc but what is that in eastern times lol

00z is midnight, the beginning of a 24 hour clock at the prime meridian.

We're ~ 75* away, 15*/hour is the Earth's spin rate, so we're 5 hours behind.

00z is 7pm Est.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
So was the GFS drunk tonight cause everything else shifted back west?
Lord knows. It could be a sampling issue, which would explain the off-hour vs on-hour discrepancies in the NAM

Take a look at the 500mb vorticity map for the last 5 runs of the NAM. The 0z last night, 12z yesterday and 0z today all look fairly similar while the 6z and 18z are vastly different to those, but similar to eachother

I think that sampling is very important with this system. Which is why I think tomorrow late morning/early afternoon runs will have a pretty decent idea of where this thing is going since all the players will be on the field at that point, not to mention someone on a wx board I frequent mentioned they were flying hurricane hunters out to get more detailed data for the models. Dunno if that’s true, but If so would be more sampling to work with

Not ready for a final call just yet, but I think I will be ready for number come tomorrow afternoon

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Lord knows. It could be a sampling issue, which would explain the off-hour vs on-hour discrepancies in the NAM

Take a look at the 500mb vorticity map for the last 5 runs of the NAM. The 0z last night, 12z yesterday and 0z today all look fairly similar while the 6z and 18z are vastly different to those, but similar to eachother

I think that sampling is very important with this system. Which is why I think tomorrow late morning/early afternoon runs will have a pretty decent idea of where this thing is going since all the players will be on the field at that point, not to mention someone on a wx board I frequent mentioned they were flying hurricane hunters out to get more detailed data for the models. Dunno if that’s true, but If so would be more sampling to work with

Not ready for a final call just yet, but I think I will be ready for number come tomorrow afternoon

Ive been following along on some message boards and I read that the hurricane hunters had already flown and gathered the info. Which led some to believe that's why the models outside of GFS all came together tonight. I could be wrong though I have no idea what I'm talking about with this stuff just trying to learn a little.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Ive been following along on some message boards and I read that the hurricane hunters had already flown and gathered the info. Which led some to believe that's why the models outside of GFS all came together tonight. I could be wrong though I have no idea what I'm talking about with this stuff just trying to learn a little.
No worries, always happy to help if you have any questions!

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
what do you do when every model says 10", except your most reliable and accurate model, which says 1 inch?

get out the OUIJA board and Pray to Jobu.

jobu-majorleague.gif

In all seriousness the NWS does note the GFS Ensemble members also have a cluster further west in alignment with all the rest of the models, which could be pointing to a double barrel storm - which classically has meant a good snowstorm for us.

but then again im always rooting for a big storm so... TP gotta come throw some cold water on my exuberance.

Reactions: NYI365

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
i will guarantee right now we get less than 2 inches bc these storms never amount to anything.

Aaaand here we go with the absolute-ist (and wildly incorrect) statements. Just.....stop.

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
I'm hoping for some snow so I'm going with the reverse psychology method. I didn't expect anyone to take that comment seriously

lmao my bad. I just see so many bad weather takes all day long and it drives me mad.

Reactions: ML19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad