Prospect Info: Sergei Murashov, 118th overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't see any reason to send him back to Russia without a contract. You make room for him, pure and simple. If that means less developmental time for Taylor Gauthier, them's the breaks.

I recently read an article about a Jets prospect, winger Dmitri Rashevsky. He was drafted in 2021 as a 20-year-old. Cheveldayoff was told Rashevsky had one season left on his deal, and that he was interested in joining the Manitoba Moose in 2022-23. However, Rashevsky signed a one-year extension with Dynamo Moscow, followed by a two-year extension the following year! So now, he is signed through 2024-25. Cheveldayoff was quoted as saying he hopes to be able to sign him at the end of the season. Rashevsky would be 25 years old if he plays in the AHL/NHL in 2025-26.

It is a cautionary tale. If you can keep the kid here, you do so no questions asked.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't see any reason to send him back to Russia without a contract. You make room for him, pure and simple. If that means less developmental time for Taylor Gauthier, them's the breaks.

I recently read an article about a Jets prospect, winger Dmitri Rashevsky. He was drafted in 2021 as a 20-year-old. Cheveldayoff was told Rashevsky had one season left on his deal, and that he was interested in joining the Manitoba Moose in 2022-23. However, Rashevsky signed a one-year extension with Dynamo Moscow, followed by a two-year extension the following year! So now, he is signed through 2024-25. Cheveldayoff was quoted as saying he hopes to be able to sign him at the end of the season. Rashevsky would be 25 years old if he plays in the AHL/NHL in 2025-26.

It is a cautionary tale. If you can keep the kid here, you do so no questions asked.
For sure…he has a chance to be special…find a way to sign him and loan him to another AHL team if you must…our problem is we have way too many contracts signed with players who are replacement level at best

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Yeah, especially NOW. Maybe after the war finishes or Putin and dies and Russia stabilizes a bit, you can go back to letting Russia develop its own talent, but that could be years away. But there is a lot of pressure to keep the players there and the fact that Murashov is here is probably because he doesn't want to be in Russia and it's his only opportunity to get out.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
The ECHL is a shit league, I wouldn't want any sort of notable prospect being sent there to "develop".

It's not SPHL bad but it still sucks.
El oh elz. This response is hysterical.

New 3rd Line Center

To help the Penguins keep better control of Murashov’s development could they put him in Wheeling as the starter for the year? That way they are not dealing with the uncertainty of him resigning in Russia?

Taylor Haase

There's nothing stopping them, but I don't know if that's a good idea. A goaltender going down there isn't as much of a bad thing as it is for skaters, but it's not great. DeSmith once said it's harder to play down there sometimes because the shooters don't even always know where they're shooting.

Plus, a lot of the Europeans to end up in Wheeling in recent years have had challenging times with it. If that's your first experience in the U.S., it can be a little jarring. Emil Larmi went through a whole mental health crisis, I know Jan Drozg was talking about wanting to be sent back to the QMJHL once he got down there. The last Russian they put down there was Anton Zlobin and he promptly went back to Russia after the season and told Russian media they sent him to "a town of addicts and alcoholics."

I'll say that the general vibes around the team itself now are a whole lot better since Derek Army has taken over. Not everyone down there is miserable.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hell yeah that's great news. And maybe even a little unexpected. Though I suppose the fact he even showed up to rookie camp should have been a big clue.

Reactions: Giskard

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
90832fcd-c5a1-4344-bcce-bd1633b8d23c_text.gif

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Larsson is the easy odd-man out imo if they were looking to move someone. Either him or Gauthier (tho if I'm the latter I'd almost prefer to be moved because he needs, and frankly deserves, to see regular time in the A). I mean, they won't, 'cause they just pitched him to sign him, but I can't imagine they make that move if they knew Murashov was coming over to sign.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Is Wilkes-Barre really all that much better?

I see people here bagging on Wheeling a lot and I mean... hey... fair enough I guess. It's not exactly a destination town. But yeah... WB/S is hardly some cosmopolitan up-and-comer, itself. The ECHL is a pretty big joke, though. But not bad for the occasional Friday night entertainment if you got nothin' else going on.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad