Proposal: Laine to Washington

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Washington has to have laine 50 percent retained. Otherwise they'd have to send a contract

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Washington has to have laine 50 percent retained. Otherwise they'd have to send a contract
TVR is expendable to me, can send him off if that's the the issue.

Isn’t Laine at his best on the PP in exactly the same spot as Ovy? Doesn’t seem like a fit to me.
Ovechkin can barely score from that spot nowadays. He'd be a better a fit in front of the net tipping pucks in.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
WSH: Laine
CBJ: 1st 2026, last year of Oshie's contract, Alexeyev/Chesley.

No money retention on either side.
Caps don’t have any Finnish players and haven’t for a long time. Only recently did they spend a late round draft pick on one. Seems like you usually have a few Finns or none?

Beyond that I don’t see the Caps sending what could very possibly be a top ten pick for Laine.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014

Ovechkin can barely score from that spot nowadays. He'd be a better a fit in front of the net tipping pucks in.
Still wouldn't work. Would need to equal half of laine contract which is $4.35 mil.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
A first is too much, especially without retention or any lottery protections. Oshie’s contract is meaningless as he’ll be on LTIR anyway. Not giving up a 1st and a good prospect/player for Laine coming off of a season with 6 goals in 18 games.

Would certainly be interested in bringing PL to DC but not at that price.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Caps don’t have any Finnish players and haven’t for a long time. Only recently did they spend a late round draft pick on one. Seems like you usually have a few Finns or none?

Beyond that I don’t see the Caps sending what could very possibly be a top ten pick for Laine.
Besides Henrik Borgstrom’s 1 game during the 2022-23 season the Caps haven’t had any Fins on the roster since the 2007-08 season.

Washington’s doesn’t have an extensive history of players from Finland on their team either.

The most famous Fin to play for the Caps was Esa Tikkanen who only played 20 games for the Caps.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Evergreen

Last year Ovechkin was 14th in PPG in the league and 1st on the Caps by almost double the next guy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Non sequitur. A proposal you like doesn't abruptly become good or bad based on that. The article that's being cited by SI also points out, for example, that Laine staying here to rebuild value is a very real possibility.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
This seems like a generous interpretation

Waddell told the Columbus Dispatch that only one team has reached out about Laine.

At this point of the offseason, organizations are settling in for some well-deserved downtime and aren’t worried about making moves or signings.”

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Last year Ovechkin was 14th in PPG in the league and 1st on the Caps by almost double the next guy.
He really isn't a very good PP guy anymore all he does is shoot and when the puck is on his stick in a non shooting position he gets rid of it like a grenade.

He was tied for 50th in PPP while being 3rd in PP TOI, a full 32 minutes more than Kucherov.

That being said Laine isn't the answer here either.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Non sequitur. A proposal you like doesn't abruptly become good or bad based on that. The article that's being cited by SI also points out, for example, that Laine staying here to rebuild value is a very real possibility.
Don’t want Laine on my favorite team
Value for Laine may not equal Bluejacket fan expectation

Agreed. Trade deadline or next offseason may be more likely

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
This seems like a generous interpretation

Waddell told the Columbus Dispatch that only one team has reached out about Laine.

At this point of the offseason, organizations are settling in for some well-deserved downtime and aren’t worried about making moves or signings.”
You can just toss that straight into the garbage...its from Hedger. He legit has no sources inside the room right now. He also learned this summer how the dark art of "Clickbait" journalism gets him more interactions/views so he's devolved himself into a "Roger Hicks noted NHL insider" account to the point his parody account was recognized as being a legit news story (I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!). He completely bungled the coaching hire story last month to the point he shredded every last bit of credibility he had. Its getting so bad how he wants to be part of the story and not just reporting to story.

If you want to know whats going on in Columbus stick with Portzline and stay away from anything Hedger says.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
WSH: Laine
CBJ: 1st 2026, last year of Oshie's contract, Alexeyev/Chesley.

No money retention on either side.
I'm not giving up a 1st if I'm the Caps any time soon. They're heading into a dark place in the next year or two once the record is obtained. They can't afford to trade away 1st for damaged goods. If CBJ is holding out for a 1st they'll probably be seeing Laine in their lineup this season. If you look at all the moves the caps made to aquire misfit toys none of them were for 1st or decent prospects. I doubt they change the course of the ship for Laine.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I'm pretty sure we'd get better offers. Heck, we've gotten better offers proposed here from other in-division rivals.

Are you assuming protections on the draft pick that were not listed? That pick is going to be in the running for 1st overall in 26, perhaps the frontrunner for it.

No one is trading that for Laine and the Blue Jackets would take it and run if it was on the table

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Are you assuming protections on the draft pick that were not listed? That pick is going to be in the running for 1st overall in 26, perhaps the frontrunner for it.
I was, but more to the point I don't think Washington's going to fall that far that quickly (we should be so lucky).

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

No one is trading that for Laine and the Blue Jackets would take it and run if it was on the table
You think the Caps will be drafting potentially 1OA in two years?

Reactions: Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3