OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
How is that even a debate, Betty clears every day bro
1717593154211.png

Reactions: Beech

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
On June 6th of 1944, Allied forces under the Operational Command of Dwight D. Eisenhower and the field command of Marshall Wilbur Montgomery, commenced operation Neptune.

The specifics where designed by George Cutlet Marshal. Chief of the Army. But he was a favorite of Roosevelt and kept in Washington to deal with media and Congress.

D-Day as it would become known, was to be on the 5th of June. But bad weather prevented it.

The Normandy invasion was favored by the Americans. The British, and specifically, Winston Churchill, wanted the "soft underbelly" approach. Allied forces to go through Italy, through eastern Europe and invade Germany that way. He wanted to cut off the Soviets. Churchill, by the way, coined the term, The Iron Curtain.

The Allies prepared for the invasion in 1944. Large efforts were undertaken to fool the axis forces. The Axis powers were also lulled into a false sense of security. The North Atlantic wall (Defense set up) was assumed to be impenetrable. They made the same mistake as the French and the Maginot Line. Rommel (The Desert fox) was in charge. He would later be involved in the July 1944 attempt on Hitler's life. Hitler survived, Rommel was found out and was allowed to commit suicide to save his family. For years, the official story was Allied airplanes killed Rommel.

5 landing spots were chosen, 3 would prove to be insanely harsh. Canadian troops had Juno. They met high resistance. But also established the best foothold. That allowed the landings to succeed. Less JUNO and the Canadians, the invasion may have been repelled.

The Allies were fortunate. Hitler was in depression and heavily medicated. He slept through the morning invasion. Then he overrode an order for tanks to move in to push the allies out.

The invasion worked. Once the allies secured saint Lo, it was only a matter of time before the war ended.

Canada was 8 Million people. It delivered a large army that was very successful. Go visit the war museum, there is way more there. 17-27 year old men/boys. They had a set of balls on them.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It is hard sometimes to be optimistic isn’t it. But do you realize that we are residing in the best period for humanity ever? If you could choose any moment in humanity’s past, now would be the best by all measures. Think back to how far we have come in the last 100 years. And the next 100 are sure to change even faster. What it means to be human may even evolve. We might create a new artificial species as well. Humans have been managing change, bending the moral arc of the universe for quite some time now. And it has always required balancing good and evil. The opportunities that surround us are absolutely mind-blowing though. Hard to not look forward with intrigue and excitement for me. As one genetic engineer famously said: man is so used to thinking of himself as the crowning glory of evolution that it is difficult to conceive that we may only be beginning of life.

Send me back to the 1970s with a big wad of cash.

All the legendary bands in their primes, cheap land, big cars, and good Broadstreet Bullies era hockey.

Reactions: DrEasy

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Was that ever a real debate? Betty all day. Way better partner to Archie than Veronica ever was. Or, for that matter, than Archie was to Betty.
See, I've gotta disagree with you on this one. I'm a sucker for brunettes who treat me like shit, blondes just don't do it for me man.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
On June 6th of 1944, Allied forces under the Operational Command of Dwight D. Eisenhower and the field command of Marshall Wilbur Montgomery, commenced operation Neptune.

The specifics where designed by George Cutlet Marshal. Chief of the Army. But he was a favorite of Roosevelt and kept in Washington to deal with media and Congress.

D-Day as it would become known, was to be on the 5th of June. But bad weather prevented it.

The Normandy invasion was favored by the Americans. The British, and specifically, Winston Churchill, wanted the "soft underbelly" approach. Allied forces to go through Italy, through eastern Europe and invade Germany that way. He wanted to cut off the Soviets. Churchill, by the way, coined the term, The Iron Curtain.

The Allies prepared for the invasion in 1944. Large efforts were undertaken to fool the axis forces. The Axis powers were also lulled into a false sense of security. The North Atlantic wall (Defense set up) was assumed to be impenetrable. They made the same mistake as the French and the Maginot Line. Rommel (The Desert fox) was in charge. He would later be involved in the July 1944 attempt on Hitler's life. Hitler survived, Rommel was found out and was allowed to commit suicide to save his family. For years, the official story was Allied airplanes killed Rommel.

5 landing spots were chosen, 3 would prove to be insanely harsh. Canadian troops had Juno. They met high resistance. But also established the best foothold. That allowed the landings to succeed. Less JUNO and the Canadians, the invasion may have been repelled.

The Allies were fortunate. Hitler was in depression and heavily medicated. He slept through the morning invasion. Then he overrode an order for tanks to move in to push the allies out.

The invasion worked. Once the allies secured saint Lo, it was only a matter of time before the war ended.

Canada was 8 Million people. It delivered a large army that was very successful. Go visit the war museum, there is way more there. 17-27 year old men/boys. They had a set of balls on them.
My Great Grandfather was awarded The Military Medal as an NCO during the Normandy campaign. Reading his commendation always gives me pause as I consider the sheer balls these young men had in the face of danger that most of us will (hopefully) never know. My Grandfather also volunteered as a 16 year old which is also a reality that is difficult to fathom. I remember reading that some of the LCA operators during the Normandy landings were as young as 14, the youngest documented soldier of the war being just 12 years old. He got a purple heart too. Wild stuff.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It is hard sometimes to be optimistic isn’t it. But do you realize that we are residing in the best period for humanity ever? If you could choose any moment in humanity’s past, now would be the best by all measures. Think back to how far we have come in the last 100 years. And the next 100 are sure to change even faster. What it means to be human may even evolve. We might create a new artificial species as well. Humans have been managing change, bending the moral arc of the universe for quite some time now. And it has always required balancing good and evil. The opportunities that surround us are absolutely mind-blowing though. Hard to not look forward with intrigue and excitement for me. As one genetic engineer famously said: man is so used to thinking of himself as the crowning glory of evolution that it is difficult to conceive that we may only be beginning of life.
It is and it isn't imo, but you probably didn't just mean right now in 2023, so fair point. I do enjoy the life we have available to us at this point. Endless entertainment, good food, everything readily available online, etc.

Personally, I think the takeover of cell phones and social media has wrecked society almost in itself. I'd go back to the time before then any day. The state of and expectation of constant availability and communication is exhausting. Give me the 90's please.

And I don't mean to sound so down either. Lots of great things about being alive and this human life we get one go at, I love my family, my animals, and my friends, but I definitely find myself not at all concerned about the future of our species. I just can't relate to that and why it would matter to me I guess. Especially as we look around with so many evil forces controlling so much of what happens anyways. The evil that men do. I also don't think life holds any sort of significant purpose, and certainly not at our level as humans, so it all just feels kinda pointless to concern myself with. Live it up and then lay down.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Send me back to the 1970s with a big wad of cash.

All the legendary bands in their primes, cheap land, big cars, and good Broadstreet Bullies era hockey.
1945. Onset of medical advances beyond belief, yet still only the onset of pollution and harm.
5-10% university educated, so give me a college degree and I am king
1945-1980, wildest and most liberal sexual revolution era in human history (Yes Aids in the late 70's)
Music as you say
Cheap land
Reasonable sports access pricing
Reasonable travel and accommodations pricing

granted by 1980, you had better keep your pants on, your bank account full, your wife's alimony payments up to date and hope you didn't get exposed to too many toxins in the 1960's and 70's. By then you are 57-62 and on cruise control.

A man born between 1925 and 1930, with the means to get a university education, lived like a king.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
My Great Grandfather was awarded The Military Medal as an NCO during the Normandy campaign. Reading his commendation always gives me pause as I consider the sheer balls these young men had in the face of danger that most of us will (hopefully) never know. My Grandfather also volunteered as a 16 year old which is also a reality that is difficult to fathom. I remember reading that some of the LCA operators during the Normandy landings were as young as 14, the youngest documented soldier of the war being just 12 years old. He got a purple heart too. Wild stuff.
My Dad, 16 years old, with De Gaulle in the free French. I believe he met him. I cannot remember. He knew all the characters, Eisenhower, Paton, Bradley, De Gaulle.

he had a 1940's Luger. I wish I knew where it was. It is probably worth a small fortune.

The landings were butcher sites!!! Unreal when you see images or film. Steven Spielberg captured it pretty good in Saving Private Ryan.

Reactions: milkbag

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Will climbing beans climb a gazebo frame if I make them in bins strategically cut around the feet of the frame?

I come to HFBoards for all my gardening questions.
They should.

I work with a couple guys who have PhD’s in math and they are often joking about how crazy this guy is.
I found his theory on how planets are made awesome.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

We got hd tvs! We got electric cars! We got smart bulbs! We got streaming services and video games! We got more than any generation previous.

At the same time we are actively destroying ecosystems. Species are going extinct at a crazy rate. Water, land and air is being polluted (out of site out of mind).

Ignorance is bliss. And selfish greed is death.
Humans will never learn. We are living through the movie Idiocracy right now.

I wish humans were smarter and we didn’t have to have these depressing discussions but you can’t ignore reality.
Humans are a parasite.

For example humans raise and kill about a trillion animals each year for “food”. That requires huge amount of resources going into feed and waste management, clear cutting forests and ends up polluting everything.
And the human animal is mainly herbivorous! :) This problem alone pretty much sums up human existence and it’s fate.
Humans are totally disconnected from nature. Things we do have been normalized like wearing clothes and drinking the milk from another species(which is nothing like us).

People actually believe that humans aren’t animals. From an early age we get asked question from adults like “if you could be any animal which animal would you be?”
The phrase “acting like an animal” is used in a derogatory way. People are offended if they’re called an ape. No, really..you are an ape.

So until we get the basics down and lose the selfish materialistic consumerism we have no chance. And that had to happen 5 years ago.

We have gotten used to looking out our window and seeing pavement, a squirrel and 3 birds. The planet doesn’t function with a (relatively)sterilized paved surface. You can’t wipe everything out and expect humans or ai to maintain everything like it’s a golf course.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If you think the Water Land and Air are more polluted today, than they were in the Sixties, then you may need to do a bit more research.

The Land, Water and Air are many more times cleaner today, than they were 60 years ago. Yes I’m manly saying this about the Western World (Europe and North America mainly) … many Countries in Asia are now going through a pollution renaissance, that the Western world did sixty years ago, and eventually the Land Air and Water in those countries will improve, their populations will demand it.

My neighbour had some Chinese Students living with him a few years back, pre Covid, and I saw them in the back yard taking pictures the of the Sky….. and wondered why they found this so fascinating… so I asked them, and they told me that they never see the clear Blue Sky back home where they live in China….. they live day to day in a smog filled region of China, much like some cities like Los Angeles did in the late 50s and 60s, until things began to get cleaned up.

China, a a couple of decades now, approve, and then construct an average of two new coal plants a week…..that’s over 100 coal fired power plants a year, for decades….. they are the problem when it comes to Air Pollution and CO2 emissions…. And Western Leaders need to hold China’s feet to the fire on this issue, and stop carbon dioxide taxing our economies to death.

Reactions: Stylizer1

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
View attachment 879939

how is this for having your team-mates back.

Private Baker.

The video shows a terrified kid. Then you see the hand on the back. Am I my brother's keeper? Yes I am.
There's a lyric from a band I like called The Wonder Years that encapsulates this feeling, and I've tried to live by since I first heard it: We're no saviours if we can't save our brothers.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We got hd tvs! We got electric cars! We got smart bulbs! We got streaming services and video games! We got more than any generation previous.

At the same time we are actively destroying ecosystems. Species are going extinct at a crazy rate. Water, land and air is being polluted (out of site out of mind).

Ignorance is bliss. And selfish greed is death.
Humans will never learn. We are living through the movie Idiocracy right now.

I wish humans were smarter and we didn’t have to have these depressing discussions but you can’t ignore reality.
Humans are a parasite.

For example humans raise and kill about a trillion animals each year for “food”. That requires huge amount of resources going into feed and waste management, clear cutting forests and ends up polluting everything.
And the human animal is mainly herbivorous! :) This problem alone pretty much sums up human existence and it’s fate.
Humans are totally disconnected from nature. Things we do have been normalized like wearing clothes and drinking the milk from another species(which is nothing like us).

People actually believe that humans aren’t animals. From an early age we get asked question from adults like “if you could be any animal which animal would you be?”
The phrase “acting like an animal” is used in a derogatory way. People are offended if they’re called an ape. No, really..you are an ape.

So until we get the basics down and lose the selfish materialistic consumerism we have no chance. And that had to happen 5 years ago.

We have gotten used to looking out our window and seeing pavement, a squirrel and 3 birds. The planet doesn’t function with a (relatively)sterilized paved surface. You can’t wipe everything out and expect humans or ai to maintain everything like it’s a golf course.
I watched I Am Legend last night and finished The Last of Us recently.

I was struck by how much more beautiful the world looks as nature takes it back over from humans. Much prettier than the manicured concrete jungles we live in.

One day the Earth will thrive again and humans will be just a speck of sand in the context of history.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I watched I Am Legend last night and finished The Last of Us recently.

I was struck by how much more beautiful the world looks as nature takes it back over from humans. Much prettier than the manicured concrete jungles we live in.

One day the Earth will thrive again and humans will be just a speck of sand in the context of history.
It's important to clarify..it didn't have to be this way. It's not just an anti human thing. Humans have the ability to actually make this planet a better place to live for everyone(other species of plants and animals). But they choose to destroy it.
And you can say it's just behaviour so let's just stay optimistic and keep chipping away at this behavioural problem but the thing is it's too late now. Humans have shown they can't change and don't even want to, so off with their heads.
Nature can seem cruel but is fair. If you don't learn and adapt then you go bye bye.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's important to clarify..it didn't have to be this way. It's not just an anti human thing. Humans have the ability to actually make this planet a better place to live for everyone(other species of plants and animals). But they choose to destroy it.
And you can say it's just behaviour so let's just stay optimistic and keep chipping away at this behavioural problem but the thing is it's too late now. Humans have shown they can't change and don't even want to, so off with their heads.
Nature can seem cruel but is fair. If you don't learn and adapt then you go bye bye.
I agree. Humans aren't one harmonious being, and we're selfish in nature. There's a long history of it. I often think of that in an apocalyptic setting and what it would look like. Without laws, humans are an awful species. What's the point of me trying to set up survival when one of my redneck neighbors will surely just shoot and loot me for my supplies.

It's a shame, but whatever, it is too late and I don't care. It's not like human beings carry great importance, they're just another species that evolved, thrived for a while, and will be extinct. An irrelevant speck of sand in the context of history. I find the whole god angle hilarious for that. Like, are humans so arrogant that we think our lives actually have meaning? That this great force is somehow about us? Lol, give me a break.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I agree. Humans aren't one harmonious being, and we're selfish in nature. There's a long history of it. I often think of that in an apocalyptic setting and what it would look like. Without laws, humans are an awful species. What's the point of me trying to set up survival when one of my redneck neighbors will surely just shoot and loot me for my supplies.

It's a shame, but whatever, it is too late and I don't care. It's not like human beings carry great importance, they're just another species that evolved, thrived for a while, and will be extinct. An irrelevant speck of sand in the context of history. I find the whole god angle hilarious for that. Like, are humans so arrogant that we think our lives actually have meaning? That this great force is somehow about us? Lol, give me a break.
It is funny how people talk about the “end of the world” like it’s the end of the universe or something. No, it’s just the end of one species (humans) due to their own selfish incompetence.
The day after “the end of the world” is the day “the world” starts healing itself.
Humans are like an abusive spouse. The sooner it leaves the relationship the better.
In the meantime I guess we just do what we can individually to minimize the destruction.
Cause you know…you never know. Crazy things happen.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stylizer1

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It is funny how people talk about the “end of the world” like it’s the end of the universe or something. No, it’s just the end of one species (humans) due to their own selfish incompetence.
The day after “the end of the world” is the day “the world” starts healing itself.
Humans are like an abusive spouse. The sooner it leaves the relationship the better.
100%. It's all pretty crazy when you think about just how small of a time period it will have been once humans are extinct.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
so as of now, we have:

Betty Flintstone is sexier than Wilma Rubble
We are unsure as to who is hotter, Betty or Veronica
We suspect that Betty and Veronica are LGBTQ members. Archie was being used!!!
Ginger and Mary Anne are hot

We have made progress.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
so as of now, we have:

Betty Flintstone is sexier than Wilma Rubble
We are unsure as to who is hotter, Betty or Veronica
We suspect that Betty and Veronica are LGBTQ members. Archie was being used!!!
Ginger and Mary Anne are hot

We have made progress.
Betty, Betty and Mary Anne for the win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad