OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I agree. Humans aren't one harmonious being, and we're selfish in nature. There's a long history of it. I often think of that in an apocalyptic setting and what it would look like. Without laws, humans are an awful species. What's the point of me trying to set up survival when one of my redneck neighbors will surely just shoot and loot me for my supplies.

It's a shame, but whatever, it is too late and I don't care. It's not like human beings carry great importance, they're just another species that evolved, thrived for a while, and will be extinct. An irrelevant speck of sand in the context of history. I find the whole god angle hilarious for that. Like, are humans so arrogant that we think our lives actually have meaning? That this great force is somehow about us? Lol, give me a break.

All living organisms has a degree of selfishness. Can't survive very long without it.

And yes, I seriously doubt there will be more than a handful of humans left on the planet in the next 300 years or so. Our success as a species will also be our failure. At least those of us that are around right now won't be around for the grand finale of our species. We'll still be living the good life for the next 30-50 years before things go all screwy.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I watched I Am Legend last night and finished The Last of Us recently.

I was struck by how much more beautiful the world looks as nature takes it back over from humans. Much prettier than the manicured concrete jungles we live in.

One day the Earth will thrive again and humans will be just a speck of sand in the context of history.
As long as there is oxygen there will be humans.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
All living organisms has a degree of selfishness. Can't survive very long without it.

And yes, I seriously doubt there will be more than a handful of humans left on the planet in the next 300 years or so. Our success as a species will also be our failure. At least those of us that are around right now won't be around for the grand finale of our species. We'll still be living the good life for the next 30-50 years before things go all screwy.
For sure, but advancements made from the advanced human way of life, overpopulation, and the industrial revolution are the ones that obviously expedite it to the point of unsustainability.

Dinosaurs lived for like 165 million years without destroying the world they lived in and humans accomplished it basically in 100 years. That's staggering in comparison.

I'm good with it. I hate the idea of my son paying the price, but that's the risk of being human and he'll hopefully enjoy the ride first. Personally, I could take it or leave it at this point. Human existence feels incredibly pointless to me.
As long as there is oxygen there will be humans.
If society collapses, I'm sure there will be pockets of survivors if/until an extinction level event happens. They'll wipe each other out in huge numbers too as they fight over resources and for survival. If things go to hell, it's not going to be a fun place to live, that's for sure.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
For sure, but advancements made from the advanced human way of life, overpopulation, and the industrial revolution are the ones that obviously expedite it to the point of unsustainability.

Dinosaurs lived for like 165 million years without destroying the world they lived in and humans accomplished it basically in 100 years. That's staggering in comparison.

I'm good with it. I hate the idea of my son paying the price, but that's the risk of being human and he'll hopefully enjoy the ride first. Personally, I could take it or leave it at this point. Human existence feels incredibly pointless to me.

If society collapses, I'm sure there will be pockets of survivors if/until an extinction level event happens. They'll wipe each other out in huge numbers too as they fight over resources and for survival. If things go to hell, it's not going to be a fun place to live
9bc912e6-b38d-4deb-8d31-17aec33f14ed_text.gif

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The climate was once extremely volatile for thousands of years and our species was fine.

1717907843053.jpeg

Can some tell me what the target temperature all of this climate talk is trying to achieve?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The climate was once extremely volatile for thousands of years and our species was fine.

Can some tell me what the target temperature all of this climate talk is trying to achieve?

There is no “Goldilocks” target… it’s all part of the gimmick.

Everything causes Global Warming, and Global Warming causes everything.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What is the Y axis on that chart? It ranges from -50 to -30…?
It's the average temperature in central Greenland in Celcius, so an area with an artic tundra climate, not a global temperature. Of note, Greenland was only inhabited by humans in the last 5000 years, and the dryas is linked to a number of extinctions

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It’s funny..like I was just talking about the other day, people are so ignorant they don’t even understand that they are animals. If people can’t even get the most basic facts about ourselves learned then how dumb are people really?

Apparently a popular question at the combine was “What animal would you be on and off the ice?”

You mean…like if I wasn’t an animal already?
No. They answer, “hmm if I was an animal I guess I’d be a dolphin.”

If a Toyota Corolla was a car, what kind of car would it be?

Reactions: Beech

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009

View attachment 880836
What do you think about species extinction rates?
And what do you think of these numbers?
55CF7B0F-16AA-408B-93B2-194FFFEBAF86.jpeg

“A diverse range of mammals once roamed the planet. This changed quickly and dramatically with the arrival of humans. Since then, wild land mammal biomass has declined by an estimated 85%.”

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Post the link.
Or are you worried it’s from a climate denier.

It comes from a presentation by Don Easterbrook from 2010 where he predicts global cooling. He's known for denying CO2 could possibly cause global warming, and accuses NOAA and NASA of tampering with the data when challenged with peer reviewed work that goes against his claims.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It comes from a presentation by Don Easterbrook from 2010 where he predicts global cooling. He's known for denying CO2 could possibly cause global warming, and accuses NOAA and NASA of tampering with the data when challenged with peer reviewed work that goes against his claims.
Thanks, exactly why I figured no link provided.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
It's the average temperature in central Greenland in Celcius, so an area with an artic tundra climate, not a global temperature. Of note, Greenland was only inhabited by humans in the last 5000 years, and the dryas is linked to a number of extinctions
Well, I see that’s how it’s labelled but surely that’s not correct… ie, the average year round temperature in the current era is not -30?

A quick google landed me here Weather and Climate which seems to show that is (obviously) not the case.

Call me crazy but when I try to understand or interpret any graph, if the values shown don’t align with common sense then I instantly abandon it.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
It’s funny..like I was just talking about the other day, people are so ignorant they don’t even understand that they are animals. If people can’t even get the most basic facts about ourselves learned then how dumb are people really?

Apparently a popular question at the combine was “What animal would you be on and off the ice?”

You mean…like if I wasn’t an animal already?
No. They answer, “hmm if I was an animal I guess I’d be a dolphin.”

If a Toyota Corolla was a car, what kind of car would it be?
Come on. If you’re an 18 year old jock at an interview with a bunch of other jocks, you think you’d be pedantic about answering that question and say something like “Well, I’m sure you’re aware that Homo sapiens are really just animals…”

Reactions: DrEasy

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Come on. If you’re an 18 year old jock at an interview with a bunch of other jocks, you think you’d be pedantic about answering that question and say something like “Well, I’m sure you’re aware that Homo sapiens are really just animals…”
It shows how ingrained the ignorance is that it would even be a question.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, I see that’s how it’s labelled but surely that’s not correct… ie, the average year round temperature in the current era is not -30?

A quick google landed me here Weather and Climate which seems to show that is (obviously) not the case.

Call me crazy but when I try to understand or interpret any graph, if the values shown don’t align with common sense then I instantly abandon it.
That's not central Greenland though, Nuuk and Paamiut are both at the southern tip of Greenland, that's like using Toronto weather proof it is warm in Alert.

The Klinck weather station in central Greenland has the lowest recorded temp in the northern hemisphere, not sure what the average temp is, but it would certainly be quite a bit lower than Nuuk.

Was able to find this link, the data doesn't seem like it's complete for most years but it gives monthly averages for 2016 and earlier.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't see the effects of climate change in itself as the sole main risk. An extinction level event is one thing, but that's unlikely to happen at once. The issue is if what transpires throws off our modern way of living and everything we rely on to live in an organized fashion, inevitably throwing society into chaos. Manufacturing, shipping, agriculture, etc. So many delicate systems vital to society. Once that goes, civilization as we know it goes. Obviously way too many humans without a sustainable food supply.

That's the real risk imo and I'm far more concerned about what other humans will want to do to me and my family in that context, than anything mother nature might throw at us. You'd have raiders and cannibals committing unspeakable evil in no time.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
PXL_20240608_223106030.jpg

Since we're in a climate change feedback loop again, here's my contribution as I burned a solid amount of coal this weekend. First time trying brisket-- found a 4 lber at Farm Boy which was perfect since I was too much of a coward to have my first cook be a 10+ lb beast.

Turned out alright, room for improvement though. Misjudged the cut when I was separating the round from the flat, and the intermittent downpours every hour looks like it messed with the smoke ring. Still pretty happy with the results.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
things to ponder
1) I have grown tomatoes from seed and am now in generation 2 (These seeds are the grandchildren of the original source).

Low yield, difficult to succeed. The issue; very poor root generation. It is as if the plant does not want to exist. Buy shoots, no issue. Why? Hormone accelerators!! chemicals on the seed and the plant. And when the tomato does developed, it is far less pretty, far less perfect.

2) I harvested sunflower seeds from the prettiest mid height sunflower (I once knew its name, but age does a number on you). It has been a nightmare trying to get them to grow the last few years. And when they do, they do not resemble the source plant. Way less majestic. Way more BLAHHHH. Why? hormone accelerators, chemicals on the seeds and shoots.

3) I propagated grape vines. Difficult. Why, hormone accelerators are needed. It takes forever for them to move from tiny to large.

4) I made compost from leaves/greens and "food waste". The food waste was vegetables and fruit. Chemically laced. The compost was used to grow lemon trees , avocados and general garden use. Result? success. Chemicals.

5) I made compost from leaves/greens. Exclusively from my garden (and neighbour's.. you have no idea of how silly you feel asking you neighbour to give you their collection of weeds and unrooted old plants). No chemicals (they do not allow us to spray). So purely organic. Way less successful.

6) I save all house and decorative plants/flower plants. Nurse them through winter and they re-bloom. No where near as pretty, as full, as elegant. Much more crude, much more blahh..Chemicals.

We are a chemical society, existing only because the DuPont's and BDM's and others. Watch Curling, see the commercials being run. Curling is popular with framers. See the ads. high yield seeds, pest control, etc.

if you are wondering how your 20 year old grand son/daughter is 5'10" to 6'5" tall when you and your wife are 5-4 to 5 -10 and your children are 5-5 to 5-11. Hormone accelerators. Look down at their feet, size their size, now look at their hands, see their size.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
View attachment 881118
Since we're in a climate change feedback loop again, here's my contribution as I burned a solid amount of coal this weekend. First time trying brisket-- found a 4 lber at Farm Boy which was perfect since I was too much of a coward to have my first cook be a 10+ lb beast.

Turned out alright, room for improvement though. Misjudged the cut when I was separating the round from the flat, and the intermittent downpours every hour looks like it messed with the smoke ring. Still pretty happy with the results.
If that's just alright I can take it off your hands for you.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Finally playing Cyberpunk 2077 after all these years.

What an incredible game. My word.
Gotta get back to that one, haven't played since a very disappointing launch. It's been long enough now that I'll just run a new playthrough.

But that's gonna have to wait until I'm done with the Edlen Ring DLC. The benefit of being my own boss is I don't have to ask to take a week off work!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad