OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We may have had 40 mm of rain dumped on us. It took some 3 hours.

That meant that the greater Ottawa area processed 1.11 x 10^7 l/sec of water flow
For the 3 hours, that is 120 Km^3

We filled a lake, the size of lake Nettilling in Nunavut.

If a lake is 100 M deep, to get to 120 KM, you need it to be 35 x 35 km. WAH.

the Ottawa river is at 1900 M^3/sec. The rain caused a flow of 1100 m^3/sec. The bodies of water around us needed to process at close to 50% added capacity. And will have to drain another 90-120 Km^3 over the next few hours.

WAHHHH! Dam! nature is a beast.
Don’t forget to allow for the new huge overflow tanks that collect it as well.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Don’t forget to allow for the new huge overflow tanks that collect it as well.
Yes, I saw the plans some 10 years ago. Prefab concrete walls. It did not sit well with MCON and Foreterre.

That would have been overwhelmed easily. The CSO (Combined sewer overflow) probably sent a fair amount of crap into the river. Our friends due east of us, literally swam in shit.

I, living in the suburbs. Walked in shit. The city uses a progressive flooding method to push water away from the inner core. ICD (Inlet Control devises), choke off flow from Manholes and push water to the Burbs. So, surface water after a heavy rainfall is NOT the cleanest.

Yesterday was not a good time for flipflops in Barrehaven and the Burbs outside the greenbelt.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes, I saw the plans some 10 years ago. Prefab concrete walls. It did not sit well with MCON and Foreterre.

That would have been overwhelmed easily. The CSO (Combined sewer overflow) probably sent a fair amount of crap into the river. Our friends due east of us, literally swam in shit.

I, living in the suburbs. Walked in shit. The city uses a progressive flooding method to push water away from the inner core. ICD (Inlet Control devises), choke off flow from Manholes and push water to the Burbs. So, surface water after a heavy rainfall is NOT the cleanest.

Yesterday was not a good time for flipflops in Barrehaven and the Burbs outside the greenbelt.
Ya on 580 the other day, they had a guest on from the Ottawa river regulation board.
Good listen, she said the new overflow system has made a big difference, but can still be better (obviously).
Biggest problem is on the Gatineau side,

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1716984061374.png

1716987552308.jpeg

This, Below, is the future of Emissions free Automobiles…. NOT BEVs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
They should of went to a fast charge station, wouldn’t need a tent.
Don't buy into any of this. More garbage to appease the masses.

So that Molly housewife, can drive her SUV, which is the size of a house and feel good. This way she does not feel guilty about destroying the world for her children. She can feel good that these magic solutions are found.

Now Molly House wife, can book at a Nail Salon downtown, take an hour to drive there and back. And still be okay....even though there is a nail saloon, 2 minutes from her home.. But that one is as Chique.

You don't remember the Mattress commercial "a good nights sleep helps you look YOUNGER".. so every dimwit, who is obsessed with their looks. And spends a fortune on Botox and other work. And hides behinds 1" of make up. Suddenly runs out and buys this mattresses. So that they can "look YOUNGER"..

PMM1 and PMM2 in thermodynamics. read up.

All of these concoctions are voodoo. Meant for Molly House wife. After all, heaven forbid if Molly has to walk to the mailbox which is 100 M from her home.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
View attachment 876963

View attachment 876970

This, Below, is the future of Emissions free Automobiles…. NOT BEVs.

The idea of replaceable capsules is something that was explored with BEVs a long time ago, and frankly makes far more sense there imo since refueling/recharging time is a bigger concern. I don't recall why it was abandoned, my guess is the cost of having more batteries kicking around than cars and management of ownship/maintenance of those canesters/batteries, but I imagine similar concerns might apply in both cases.

The biggest advantage of BEVs is fuel cost and the ability to charge at home. Refueling a Mirai (the Toyota hydrogen car) will cost you over $200 currently and get you about 400 miles of stated range, through real world range is apparently just over 300 miles. meanwhile, charging a Tesla or equivalent at home would cost you about $5, or ~$20 on a public charger network. Most charging is done at home and overnight, which is a bit of a double edged sword, the appeal to BEV is that you no longer need to rely on gas stations most of the time, but because of that there isn't as much incentive to build out the network needed for those times when you do need to publicly charge.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Semi's, and other large fleet vehicles will go Hydrogen because it makes the most sense. Quick refueling and turn around.

The vast majority of people will be using an electric vehicle.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Semi's, and other large fleet vehicles will go Hydrogen because it makes the most sense. Quick refueling and turn around.

Hydrogen is currently a really expensive fuel source, and if everyone else is using battery based vehicles, you'll never get the infrastructure in place to refuel with hydrogen, except maybe for things like ships.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Hydrogen is currently a really expensive fuel source, and if everyone else is using battery based vehicles, you'll never get the infrastructure in place to refuel with hydrogen, except maybe for things like ships.
There are two main ways to produce hydrogen, one is through processing fossil fuels, the other is through electrolysis. There are plants starting up that are using excess energy during low usage times in and using it to produce hydrogen when it is cheaper. You will see more of these as they try to optimize the grid.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There are two main ways to produce hydrogen, one is through processing fossil fuels, the other is through electrolysis. There are plants starting up that are using excess energy during low usage times in and using it to produce hydrogen when it is cheaper. You will see more of these as they try to optimize the grid.
It's a bit of a chicken vs egg problem though, until there is the demand, how many places will start doing this, and until there is the supply, who will switch over to what is currently an extremely inefficient and expensive fuel source? Then you have the increase of people using electricity for heating with heat pumps and for transportation with EVs changing the curve for low usage times.

I figure hydrogen could make sense for long range stuff if you outright phase out fossil fuels, but it will be a challenge to switch over, more so than BEV for the more typical usage. I wonder if we'll see BEV/Hydrogen hybrids, that might be an avenue to explore as well.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
We don't have enough water to grow enough plants for that many horses to eat.
then you will be disappointed in Hydrogen fuel cells, you need water for electrolysis to get hydrogen.

EV are better, but as teh population grows, the demand for electricity grows. So now diverting large chunks to power vehicles will only take a bad problem and make it worse.

None of us will live long enough to see it, but it will be fascinating to see transport in 2124. Especially at an earth population of possibly 16-20 billion people.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but.... I've been working all week with white oak pulled from the Ottawa river. This stuff started growing around 500 years ago, felled in the 1700s and it is incredible. The silt it's sat in as turned the wood grey throughout.

Going back to working with peasant wood next week is gonna suuuuuuck.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
then you will be disappointed in Hydrogen fuel cells, you need water for electrolysis to get hydrogen.

EV are better, but as teh population grows, the demand for electricity grows. So now diverting large chunks to power vehicles will only take a bad problem and make it worse.

None of us will live long enough to see it, but it will be fascinating to see transport in 2124. Especially at an earth population of possibly 16-20 billion people.
Eh. There's no way the population will be that high because the guillotines would have been deployed by then.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010

Vast majority of people will be on 'lockdown' to a ~50km radius of their assigned dwelling. E-Scooters and bicycles for local traveling, anything further will require special permission and authorization from the local governmental body ($$$). All necessities will be flown in via drone-copters and distributed to the locals via chits or credits. Rations will be distributed based on a 'social credit' score - ie the 'better' and more 'useful' you prove yourself to be for the 'community' the more 'privalages' and 'rewards' you will be granted (makes sense, right?).

Tesla is already pivoting toward a 'ride sharing' model vs a traditional "automobile manufacturer" (look it up). So theoretically when your not actively using "your" vehicle that you payed for (subscribed to under the user agreement) it can drive off and pick up the nearest rando looking for a ride via the Uber app. Sure someone may poop in the backseat of your luxury vehicle at some point, leaving some nasty stains and a whole lot of grief but situations like that are conveniently covered under the aforementioned 'user agreement' and can be handled by having it drive off to the nearest Tesla authorized dealer for restoration.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
The 80's/90's Boomer: "Hey man, you hear there's a guy who actually made a car that runs on water? It's true man, but they killed him and hid the the technology 'cause of the gas companies and big money industry...
The same Boomer today: "I just bought myself a nifty little Tesla! Fantastic car; it drives on a gigantic ever dying battery, it's always internet connected and can even drive itself! Elon Musk is a true visionary - thank god for the government subsidies! I'm doing my part in the fight against Climate Change™!"

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but.... I've been working all week with white oak pulled from the Ottawa river. This stuff started growing around 500 years ago, felled in the 1700s and it is incredible. The silt it's sat in as turned the wood grey throughout.

Going back to working with peasant wood next week is gonna suuuuuuck.

That reminds me of my days as a kid, walking the path along the river behind the parliament buildings. There were still a fair bit of floating logs down there back then (when the log driver's waltz was still relevant), and tied up in groups at various areas of the river. Kinda crazy that we haven't seen that around here in a good 40+ years now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The issue here is you don't typically charge to 100% other than overnight at home, so giving charging times to 100% isn't particularly useful information (it's borderline misleading). They even briefly talk about this in the article, but then instead of giving practical information that might actually be useful to an end user, they decide to carry on with giving information that is mostly useless.

What to expect is having a full charge when you wake up in the morning, 20-30 mins charging times depending on the model to 80% on a level 3 charger and 40-60 mins to 80% on a level 2

Now, that might mean thinking of your 350 mile range as 350 from home and 280 miles from a public charging station, that's more than enough for most peoples typical use. If you're going on longer road trips, a hybrid or ice vehicle is probably the better solution for you at least until the battery technology improves.

If you are stupid enough to charge to 100% at a public charging station, this articles for you...

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Thanks, I said they should of went to a fast charge station,
And your article shows it takes 15 minutes for 200 miles or ~300 km, even faster than I thought.

I’ve seen a family, in a Tesla, park at charging station at a Buc ess in South Carolina, go into the (Worlds largest) convenience store, and return 1/2 hour later, only to remain sitting in their vehicle to eat their lunch, and wait for the charging to end or have enough charge to continue their trip… so am guessing their stay at the Buc ees was at least a minimum of an hour, whereas other travelers would have gassed up, and be gone in 5 to 10 mins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad