OT: Sens Lounge LXXVIII | The Big Bang Theory Is Objectively Terrible Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
You cannot run because you are the only one on the island?
Are you fatter than the island? The lack of people would suggest there is more room to run.

Not sure really. I didn't make up the lyric. Take it up with the Kinks. I'm sure it's a strained metaphor for something.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
It's sickening how much ultranationalism is rising, and how little people care. You would think that people would remember the causes of the world wars.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I've said this before, but Pour Boy on Somerset has an amazing burger and it's so cheap there. I had a blue cheese and bacon burger there last weak that was amazing, for about 8 bucks with a salad.
OK, reporting back! I didn't see any blue cheese and bacon burger on the menu (maybe was a special?). Went with a jalapeno and cream cheese burger (that was the only choice other than the regular burger), and it was alright but nothing special.

It was definitely cheap, and probably because of that it was student central. The place is cozy and was full.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
It's rising even in Canada, too. Sad and scary.

Yep. In a lot of countries these parties could be holding the balance of power soon too. I think that ultranationalism will be the next big problem in the world like terrorism (or religious extremism) has been the past 15 years or so

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yep. In a lot of countries these parties could be holding the balance of power soon too. I think that ultranationalism will be the next big problem in the world like terrorism (or religious extremism) has been the past 15 years or so
Well, one (ultranationalism) is often a reaction to the other (religious extremism), so it's not too surprising.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I got tired of all the "isms" in university

The problem is dumb people who think they fully grasp all of the intricacies of a given issue when they do not

Scotland's independence movement is a great example: Salmond is lying to all of Scotland but people want to believe him, if they bothered informing themselves they'd see that there is no economical argument for Scotland leaving; if they want to leave regardless of that then it's fine, but people are brushing off basic stuff by claiming the people who don't agree with them "are lying" or completely moving the goal post (Scotland isn't going to default if they refuse to take their share of the debt). Of course Westminster hasn't been all that great in defending the Union and, truth be told, it's hard to mount a rational defense when all the drive that you oppose is nothing but hopeless and baseless XIXth century romanticism

Damn it! ANOTHER "ISM"!! :laugh:

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007

Ya, they've got those parties in Poland and France, and Harper is playing to the same tune. Living in BC,I really don't like the liberals, but Trudeau would bring a nice big breath of fresh air to Canada.

It's really strange. People are still alive who went through ww2, yet we're going down the same bath again.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I certainly wouldn't put Scotland in the ultra nationalist camp. Hard to fault people for wanting to be represented in their parliament. Think of having someone like Harper who only represents a minority of people remotely running your country for centuries. You might want change as well. I just feel bad for Northern England and other regions that aren't London. This isn't really fair for them. They don't have any hope.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They are represented and did very well in the 90's in terms of reaping the benefits of their representation

They will rue this day if Yes wins, they will deeply regret it down the line

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
They are represented and did very well in the 90's in terms of reaping the benefits of their representation

They will rue this day if Yes wins, they will deeply regret it down the line

I think the long term would favour yes. The immediate future and the next 7-8 years could be rough. They desperately need a long term strategy for energy and as long as London dictates that, it won't happen. Their Oil will dry up and there won't be anything in place.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I certainly wouldn't put Scotland in the ultra nationalist camp. Hard to fault people for wanting to be represented in their parliament. Think of having someone like Harper who only represents a minority of people remotely running your country for centuries. You might want change as well. I just feel bad for Northern England and other regions that aren't London. This isn't really fair for them. They don't have any hope.

SNP is not in the ultranationalist camp, but growing parties like Front National, Sweden Democrats, Golden Dawn, Jobbik, and many others are.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Ya, they've got those parties in Poland and France, and Harper is playing to the same tune. Living in BC,I really don't like the liberals, but Trudeau would bring a nice big breath of fresh air to Canada.

It's really strange. People are still alive who went through ww2, yet we're going down the same bath again.

Trudeau's inexperience is really worrisome, he may be able to steal some votes because of his family name but it will take more than a name to run a country. I really hope Canada doesn't do the whole 'trendy voting' thing that the US did with Obama. Obama promised 'change' and what did he do, just more of the same stuff the previous administrations had done.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think the long term would favour yes. The immediate future and the next 7-8 years could be rough. They desperately need a long term strategy for energy and as long as London dictates that, it won't happen. Their Oil will dry up and there won't be anything in place.

They are going to run out of oil and they are not going to be able to use the Sterling and will not admitted into the Euro

If Yes wins they are completely screwed

Trudeau's inexperience is really worrisome, he may be able to steal some votes because of his family name but it will take more than a name to run a country. I really hope Canada doesn't do the whole 'trendy voting' thing that the US did with Obama. Obama promised 'change' and what did he do, just more of the same stuff the previous administrations had done.

No. People voted for Obama and figured that that was all that was needed to be done. Obama over promised but the people he needed support from, more support than just voting in the Presidential election, completely failed him because they don't understand how democracies and separation of powers work.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

He's been a member of Parliament for 6 years. How much experience are you looking for? Time to move away from the old boys club in Canadian parliament if you ask me. I mean that quite literally.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
They are going to run out of oil and they are not going to be able to use the Sterling and will not admitted into the Euro

If Yes wins they are completely screwed

No. People voted for Obama and figured that that was all that was needed to be done. Obama over promised but the people he needed support from, more support than just voting in the Presidential election, completely failed him because they don't understand how democracies and separation of powers work.

I think Obama has actually recieved more support and help than most presidents. The problem is that Obama didn't know how to handle crisis' which arose during his tenure. he boggled his most important goal of healthcare reform and has been pretty indifferent towards other domestic and international issues like immigration and ISIS. At least the Republicans in the US had solutions to problems (not that they were particularily good) but Democrats seem to be complacent to just wait things out.

He's been a member of Parliament for 6 years. How much experience are you looking for? Time to move away from the old boys club in Canadian parliament if you ask me. I mean that quite literally.

Moving away from the old boys club is fine, but just because he has been an MP for 6 years does not mean he has the necessary experience to run the country. His years as an MP is a good start but his appointment to Leader of the Liberal party is more a reflextion of the party's current situation in Canada than Trudeau's qualifications.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think Obama has actually recieved more support and help than most presidents. The problem is that Obama didn't know how to handle crisis' which arose during his tenure. he boggled his most important goal of healthcare reform and has been pretty indifferent towards other domestic and international issues like immigration and ISIS. At least the Republicans in the US had solutions to problems (not that they were particularily good) but Democrats seem to be complacent to just wait things out

The Republicans are the ones blocking immigration reform and the US Air Force is currently bombing ISIS

Obama got no support because all the young people that voted for him failed to show up for the Congressional elections and those matter just as much as the Presidential ones. Now the Republicans are in control of Congress and blocking everything in an effort to make Obama look bad and it's working: people have no idea how government functions, they think the President can do whatever he wants and blame him when they all failed to support him beyond the election. Democracy only works if people are invested in it, not when they think it's a one-day event.

Obama is far from perfect and has certainly failed to live up to his promises but it isn't all on him either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad