OT: Sens Lounge LXXVII | A Fridge Too Far Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
can't believe fallout 3 is 2008. i can still fire it up and have a good time for hours. one of the best games i've ever played. Bethesda - video game masters

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Outside of the Fallout series, I haven't really seriously played a FPS since Goldeneye on the N64... and is Fallout even really a FPS at it's core? If you play with VATS, it's basically just a sandbox RPG.

The whole FPS genre is boring as hell, if you ask me.

Team strategy and mind games are whats fun about multiplayer FPS's.

They are getting worse and worse. Completely dumbed down.

Fallout is one of the greatest games of all time.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
After playing it for a bit, I must say that Fez is brilliant. It is making my brain hurt a little bit though.

Its kind of a mind bending experience. What I want to see is Sony hiring the creator of Fez to do a Fez 2 for their VR device Morpheus with it going from a 2D screen to full 3D VR. It would ease people into the feeling of immersion in a trippy and fun way.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Adding to this, if you're close enough to the border, the US versions of Bestbuy and Futureshop may have the same identical computers but for less.

My parents (who know nothing about computers) went to a Canadacomputers store wanting only a basic laptop to surf the web. The sales associate there swindled them into paying over $1000 for a laptop with stuff that they will never use. So make sure you know what you want in a laptop and avoid the upsale.

It seems like every Sunday the Syracuse area is loaded with Canadian license plates and buses so if you're in Ontario maybe come down to Destiny USA and check out what's available. I always buy on-line, typically through Newegg and typically through some sort of Slickdeal but if you'd prefer to get your hands on the lapper to test it out there are plenty there. You can also enjoy some Pole Position Racing, check out an IMAX 3D, and get a good meal at one of the many restaurants (assuming you don't mind GMO's).

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It seems like every Sunday the Syracuse area is loaded with Canadian license plates and buses so if you're in Ontario maybe come down to Destiny USA and check out what's available. I always buy on-line, typically through Newegg and typically through some sort of Slickdeal but if you'd prefer to get your hands on the lapper to test it out there are plenty there. You can also enjoy some Pole Position Racing, check out an IMAX 3D, and get a good meal at one of the many restaurants (assuming you don't mind GMO's).

Ordered my laptop from Newegg as well. Cant wait until it gets here!

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
The Last of Us is about as close to the perfect game as we're going to see. From the graphics to the story, voice acting, level design and on and on its top notch. The weakest element is probably the combat, but even that is very good.

The best all around game on the ps3, thats for damned sure.

Far from a perfect game. A near perfectly presented story? Yes sir. The gameplay wasn't very good... And that's what's most important in a game. Mario Galaxy 2 was a much better game( but I like Last of Us as a product, more)

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
I laughed at this considering you recommended a macbook.

Mac's are worth their price though, especially since they are also very user friendly, come with anti-virus protection and typically last much longer than a PC. I wouldn't have minded had they sold my parents a Mac. My parents really only needed a cheap 300$ dollar PC or desktop.

The only reason I could see a PC being a better option than a Mac is if the user is a gamer or coder.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I was under the impression that Asus was a reliable brand. Gah, now I'm questioning my purchase. :cry:

Yeah, that's why I bought the 2nd ASUS. I figured "well, they're a good brand, I must have just gt one of the rare lemons"

2/2 laptops have **** out their motherboard. My current issue is that the sound card drops out all the time, and I have to go and manually enable it every time I want to watch a video/ listen to music.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Mac's are worth their price though, especially since they are also very user friendly, come with anti-virus protection and typically last much longer than a PC. I wouldn't have minded had they sold my parents a Mac. My parents really only needed a cheap 300$ dollar PC or desktop.

The only reason I could see a PC being a better option than a Mac is if the user is a gamer or coder.

As someone who is both a gamer and a coder, I still went with a Macbook Pro for my newest laptop. Bang-for-buck, you can get better. But durability, industry recognition, versatility and ease of use are all major selling points.

I also say this as someone who held out on Mac-based computers for an extremely long time. Still don't see why you need a Command button... THE CTRL BUTTON WORKS JUST FINE, DAMMIT JOBS!

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Nah, "getting mad" because you're calling it a "boring conversation." If you don't like it, feel free not to participate. Obviously a few of us are enjoying discussing computers.

Whoa whoa, calm toi bonhomme. Concentrate on not dropping your laptop. (Which did however make the weekend better).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah, I've been playing New Vegas pretty much continuously since it came out.

i never played new vegas because it wasn't made by bethesda. i didn't want to diminish the pure experience of playing the next bethesda fallout game. now were only a year away! and i'm not sure i have enough time for it anymore.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
i never played new vegas because it wasn't made by bethesda. i didn't want to diminish the pure experience of playing the next bethesda fallout game. now were only a year away! and i'm not sure i have enough time for it anymore.

Honestly, New Vegas feels FAR more like a traditional Fallout game (closer to Fallout & Fallout 2) than 3 ever was.

If you like Fallout, I can't see why you would never play New Vegas. It's a bit buggy, but once it's patched, it might be my favorite fallout game of them all.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Where you headed?

All over the UK minus Wales and Northern Ireland

Edit: I guess that is not very specific, but I am going with my family, and my mom has more specifics. I know we get 5 nights in London, 5 in Edinburough, are going on a Scotland tour, going to Stonehenge, me and my dad are playing the new course at Saint Andrews

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

I just dont see thats worth the extra money. My laptop was $630. To get an equivalent Mac, I would of had to spend $1800 to $2000.

Ive never had a PC not last atleast 5 years.

My anti-virus is free and ive never had a virus.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
All over the UK minus Wales and Northern Ireland

How long you there for? And why skip out on Wales? It's a nice drive up around Monmouth and down to Cardiff. I didn't quite make it there in time to see the inside of the castle, but the ground are pretty impressive.

I did however manage to have a local ale... so my one UK achievement was that I managed to have a local ale in every UK capital city (got to Belfast once too on a long weekend I took)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad