OT: Sens Lounge LXXVII | A Fridge Too Far Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I'd sooner vote for a dog than I'd vote for Trudeau, but I'm sick and tired of the Conservatives running nothing but attack ads.

I never thought I'd say this, but I find it increasingly likely that I vote NDP at the next Federal election.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm likely going to vote for the LPC but not for Trudeau

I have a lot more faith in the party than the leader when it comes to the Liberals and I do hope Justin won't be like Harper in that he isn't a control freak

The Conservatives have been terribly mediocre and I find the NDP to be a complete farce

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'm likely going to vote for the LPC but not for Trudeau

I have a lot more faith in the party than the leader when it comes to the Liberals and I do hope Justin won't be like Harper in that he isn't a control freak

The Conservatives have been terribly mediocre and I find the NDP to be a complete farce

Went to go see Trudeau speak at Algonquin in March(?) and I left feeling completely uninspired. Didn't directly answer a tough question the whole time, although I guess that's most politicians nowadays.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I know it was expensive. I know it was. It may not have been prudent. I know. But, hot damn, switching over to Melitta after months of Maxwell House is like discovering an entirely new kind of beverage.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
My hair is too thick and luxurious to cut.

Also spent the last two hours splitting wood and god damn I'm tired.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
At least Trudeau is basing decisions off of science and common sense instead of propaganda like Harper. People continue to harp on Trudeau about his inexperience but he's shown more leadership in the past year than Harper has in the last ten.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd sooner vote for a dog than I'd vote for Trudeau, but I'm sick and tired of the Conservatives running nothing but attack ads.

I never thought I'd say this, but I find it increasingly likely that I vote NDP at the next Federal election.

I know how you feel. No way I'd ever vote for Trudeau. Rich kid living in a bubble has no idea how the working world works. And the Liberals, all they care about is stealing as much tax dollars as possible for their cronies. That money is for the people, not the companies the politicians own or the lobbyists that funded the campaigns.

Seems like the PCs in Canada and the Republicans in the US are purposely trying to act in the most stupid way imaginable. I can't see anyone being that stupid and ass-backwards by accident.

All I want is a government that is small, efficient, runs & represents the country well, and stays out of my personal affairs. In theory, that was supposed to be on the right side of the ledger....but nowadays it doesn't apply to any of the parties.

It really sucks that none of them are worth voting for.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Bought a PS4 and been playing The Last of Us on the hardest difficulty

This might be the first time in a long time that I feel like I'm going to need to start over on an easier difficulty because holy hell is ever hard!

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Politics huh?.....that's cool. :rolleyes:

--
Gonna recommend people read "The Longer I'm Prime Minister" by Paul Wells. There's a good reason Harper has lasted so long. He knows what he's doing when it comes to staying in power, something that the other parties have been blissfully naive about. He's an incrementalist primarily, chipping away at the old layered on veneer of Liberal policy that was so much a part of Canadian politics prior to this Conservative winning streak. Never going to do anything too drastic, shake the foundations, just keep chipping away, don't make too much of a scene. The other parties are just no match for him, too slick, ahead of the game, also a lot of luck, and the only things that ever threaten the Harper conservatives are dummies in their own ranks. Guess we'll see this time around if that remains true or if people have finally grown tired. Book does a fantastic job of understanding Harper and his strategies IMO. Wells is supremely well connected and very, very funny.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

--
Gonna recommend people read "The Longer I'm Prime Minister" by Paul Wells. There's a good reason Harper has lasted so long. He knows what he's doing when it comes to staying in power, something that the other parties have been blissfully naive about. He's an incrementalist primarily, chipping away at the old layered on veneer of Liberal policy that was so much a part of Canadian politics prior to this Conservative winning streak. Never going to do anything too drastic, shake the foundations, just keep chipping away, don't make too much of a scene. The other parties are just no match for him, too slick, ahead of the game, also a lot of luck, and the only things that ever threaten the Harper conservatives are dummies in their own ranks. Guess we'll see this time around if that remains true or if people have finally grown tired. Book does a fantastic job of understanding Harper and his strategies IMO. Wells is supremely well connected and very, very funny.

In many ways, it's a strategy that the Liberal party has traditionally followed. Canadians just generally seem to think that if they don't hear anything about politicians then they must be doing a good job.

Just look at our municipal government. Shining example.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

--

The conservatives also found successful ways to attack Dion and Ignatief. So far their attacks on Trudeau have been backfiring.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
In many ways, it's a strategy that the Liberal party has traditionally followed. Canadians just generally seem to think that if they don't hear anything about politicians then they must be doing a good job.

Just look at our municipal government. Shining example.

Most people have no idea how government functions; that's why we generally get a change at the federal level after something considerable that gets a lot of press.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Any of you guys have tips for acne?

One of the biggest small things that helped me was to put a fresh towel over your pillow before going to sleep. The natural oils that gather on your pillow are blocked off and aren't constantly rubbing against your face.

Also, keep your hair pushed up and out of your face as opposed to down with the bangs over your forehead.

Lastly, a lot of it stems from what you eat. Less junk food and more healthy food should make for healthier skin.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
One of the biggest small things that helped me was to put a fresh towel over your pillow before going to sleep. The natural oils that gather on your pillow are blocked off and aren't constantly rubbing against your face.

Also, keep your hair pushed up and out of your face as opposed to down with the bangs over your forehead.

Lastly, a lot of it stems from what you eat. Less junk food and more healthy food should make for healthier skin.

I've always found dairy kills my skin.

If you have significant acne, its never a bad idea to try and get an appointment with a dermatologist. They can have long wait times but its generally worth it. If you can avoid taking Acutane, do it. But if its bad enough just do it. I had terrible acne as a kid and had to bite the bullet on that, worked though and my skin has been generally clear ever since.

The towel over the pillow is a good tip OR you can change the pillow case frequently.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Any of you guys have tips for acne?

It's been a while, but yeah, I remember this was hugely helpful back in highschool. Make sure it's a fresh towel every night.

- Also: stop using regular soap - go get a bar of Dove, or as pure a soap as possible. Not all soap gets you clean, a lot of the stuff out there is loaded with perfumes & "extras" that irritate acne-prone skin. Get the purest stuff you can find. Dove is a good start, seeing as how it's cheap & available at pretty much every grocery store. I found Goat's Milk soap to actually be the best, but it's not exactly available at every corner store. Well.ca has a very good selection, if you want to do some online shopping.

- if you have oily skin (and you probably do, if you have acne), get the proper shampoo, because your scalp is going to be just as oily as your face. Oily scalp will lead to oily face, because sweat. Specifically avoid any shampoos that say "moisturizing", "Hydrating", or "good for curls" - those are your enemy. There are lots of good shampoos out there for oily scalp, do some research and figure out which you like best - this one is really good, IMO.

- shaving: same advice as shampoo - get shaving cream made specifically for oily skin, avoid all the "moisturizing" formulas. Lots of options out there, Gilette has a formula for oily skin that's avail pretty much everywhere.

^^ this is all easy changes. If you're already doing this kind of stuff though, and it's still an issue, see yo doctor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad