OT: Sens Lounge LXXVII | A Fridge Too Far Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I have no respect for anyone that an hero's. He's a quitter.

I try not to give stuff like this attention because it annoys me that people suddenly care about him but this tweet made me laugh:

Ray Narvaez Jr @AH_BrownMan · 4h
Does this mean Flubber 2 isn't happening?

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

I try not to give stuff like this attention because it annoys me that people suddenly care about him but this tweet made me laugh:

I have absolutely no interest in debating the first part of your post because I sincerely doubt we could both rationally enter into a discussion about it. Suffice it to say that I don't think it's fair to suggest that it's that black and white, especially when mental issues enter the fray.

But I want to address the second half of your post: people don't suddenly care about him. The man's career touched a lot of people in a lot of different ways, in varying points in their lives and with various degrees of impact. But just because people aren't talking about him — or anyone — 24/7, doesn't mean they don't care most of the time. I would be beyond upset if Neil Patrick Harris or Nathan Fillion were to die, but I don't talk about them at the exclusion of everything else. Does that mean I'm suddenly someone who suddenly cares about them?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I have absolutely no interest in debating the first part of your post because I sincerely doubt we could both rationally enter into a discussion about it. Suffice it to say that I don't think it's fair to suggest that it's that black and white, especially when mental issues enter the fray.

But I want to address the second half of your post: people don't suddenly care about him. The man's career touched a lot of people in a lot of different ways, in varying points in their lives and with various degrees of impact. But just because people aren't talking about him — or anyone — 24/7, doesn't mean they don't care most of the time. I would be beyond upset if Neil Patrick Harris or Nathan Fillion were to die, but I don't talk about them at the exclusion of everything else. Does that mean I'm suddenly someone who suddenly cares about them?
I guess its just how I see it. If i dont know a person personally, or at least first degree of separation, I dont care one bit about them. So seeing all these people so sad over someone they dont even know comes off as annoying to me. Has nothing to do with Robin. Could be anyone.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I guess its just how I see it. If i dont know a person personally, or at least first degree of separation, I dont care one bit about them. So seeing all these people so sad over someone they dont even know comes off as annoying to me. Has nothing to do with Robin. Could be anyone.

em·pa·thy
ˈempəTHē

noun
- the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

I think there many examples of how he touched some of our lives have been posted in this thread already. If he means nothing to you then fine, but you should probably understand that the next step in the logic chain is not
that he therefore should mean nothing to everyone else on this board.

By your logic, no one should give a rats ass if 5,000 people die in a monsoon in a country half way around the world. This comes across as cold.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Robin Williams was a part of a lot of peoples childhood. He made a lot of people laugh including me. I just loved Jumanji, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Birdcage, Aladdan, etc..

If you can't see why people care about his death, then i really do not know what to say. :dunno:

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

Why do you have to be a jerk about it? A lot of people grew up touched by Williams and really enjoyed his work. I for one grew up with Aladdin and he has always been an inspiration to me. He was not only a great actor and a great comedian, he was many peoples favorites, including mine. I would constantly be amazed by his craziness and energy. You don't need to be a jerk just for the sake of being a jerk. Have some respect for a man with a great career that many people loved dearly.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
R.I.P Robin Williams

I fell that there is more to this story than just depression, i find it hard to belive that someone of his stature can't find the appropriate help.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
My empathy is dull. Dunno why. Ive just always had a hard time caring for others. :dunno:I know its not right.

If you are so very aware of your lack of empathy and admit that it's "not right", why do you berate people who can actually express/feel empathy for someone who's had a huge impact on the world of comedy and entertainment for many decades?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
If you are so very aware of your lack of empathy and admit that it's "not right", why do you berate people who can actually express/feel empathy for someone who's had a huge impact on the world of comedy and entertainment for many decades?
[it's possible to] you can feel about something one way, but not the other way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think we should clear something up.

This is not a glorious act, and we are not treating it as such. It's tragic, shocking, and is a terrible situation for all involved.

It should not be regarded as heroic, nor should it be regarded as cowardly.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think we should clear something up.

This is not a glorious act, and we are not treating it as such. It's tragic, shocking, and is a terrible situation for all involved.

It should not be regarded as heroic, nor should it be regarded as cowardly.

This. Consider for example if your favourite Senator player suddenly passed away under tragic circumstances... imagine how you might feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad