OT: Sens Lounge LXXVII | A Fridge Too Far Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Everything is free game to joke about

If you are a comedian and people listen to you for amusement then yes

This is not the case here

I'm all on board the "if you make fun something you need to be able to make fun of everything" in comedy

Death and suicide isn't comedy

You're still plenty young though, no hard feelings: we've all been there

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
$40 would include the insurance too. And look - I know in Canadia you can floor it and not get pulled over so just make up time. Turn 11 hours into 8 hours.

Not quite so anymore, especially in Ontario. You're safe at 120 on the 401... not much more. I actually got a ticket for 127 last summer, wasn't even doing anything out of the ordinary.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Except for... y'know... doing 127.

Was moving with the flow of traffic... I just happened to slow down but still have the gall to pass a cruiser lol. Worst part is, was heading to a training seminar where half the people there saw me be pulled over and all admit having been driving faster (including one who was a cop in another region).

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
image.png

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
If you are a comedian and people listen to you for amusement then yes

This is not the case here

I'm all on board the "if you make fun something you need to be able to make fun of everything" in comedy

Death and suicide isn't comedy

You're still plenty young though, no hard feelings: we've all been there

No comedians are not exempt, i still can't understand why people allow some comedians a free pass. If benny considers himself a comedians than does he get a pass?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
My empathy is dull. Dunno why. Ive just always had a hard time caring for others. :dunno:I know its not right.

There are people in the world who are incapable of having empathy. I'm not sure if it's a different chemical makeup in the brain, or something (nuturing-wise) was missing early on in childhood that does it. But that condition definitely exists.

I can definitely understand how, if someone has a condition like that, how difficult it would be to navigate a situation like this. It would be like sitting calmly in a room, and suddenly everyone else is freaking out and you can't figure out why.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No comedians are not exempt, i still can't understand why people allow some comedians a free pass. If benny considers himself a comedians than does he get a pass?

It isn't so much a free pass as much as it is an understanding that a comedian is trying to be funny and you are listening to them in order to laugh. Once that is understood I'm of the opinion that being able to laugh about anything is a good thing.

Benny might consider himself a comedian but that's only half the understanding, I don't consider him one and don't listen/read him for comedic value. Although it should be said this is a public forum so he's well within the expected acceptable behaviour when commenting about something that everyone is talking about and so are we when we tell him that he's being insensitive.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
It isn't so much a free pass as much as it is an understanding that a comedian is trying to be funny and you are listening to them in order to laugh. Once that is understood I'm of the opinion that being able to laugh about anything is a good thing.

Benny might consider himself a comedian but that's only half the understanding, I don't consider him one and don't listen/read him for comedic value. Although it should be said this is a public forum so he's well within the expected acceptable behaviour when commenting about something that everyone is talking about and so are we when we tell him that he's being insensitive.

I think this is a very good way to put it. People go out of their way to see a comedian. They want to hear jokes. Outside of the concert hall / stage there are real people living real lives. You never know what someone is going through. I'm one of the people who thinks the world is getting overly sensitive, but going out of your way to hurt someone is definitely off. I used to do it a lot, too. I read more and got more perspectives, so I don't think Benny is a bad person... He just doesn't understand other people , so his opinions shouldn't be taken seriously.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
There are people in the world who are incapable of having empathy. I'm not sure if it's a different chemical makeup in the brain, or something (nuturing-wise) was missing early on in childhood that does it. But that condition definitely exists.

I can definitely understand how, if someone has a condition like that, how difficult it would be to navigate a situation like this. It would be like sitting calmly in a room, and suddenly everyone else is freaking out and you can't figure out why.

This is true. I once worked in a book store at the student union building on campus. Very progressive place (most progressive in Canada, I'd wager). Lgbt friendly, race friendly, sex friendly... Just pretty much any kind of friendly you can think of.... But I grew up in an Eastern European family. I was taught all of that kind of liberal stuff was stupid. Needless to say, I acted likeI normally do (make jokes abut try not to be aggressively offensive), but every day my boss had to talk to me and tell me how what I did was not appropriate. She was very nice about it (but probably very frustrated with me, Lol).

The problem with me was that I didn't understand how people were getting offended by the things I was doing, because I don't really get offended. I had to team myself that I'm not the only person with the only belief... It's only when you realize that you as a person are insignificant compared to others that you (or at least I) realized that there's probably a ton of people who have a better grasp on life and morality than me... Even if I don't fully understand

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Not quite so anymore, especially in Ontario. You're safe at 120 on the 401... not much more. I actually got a ticket for 127 last summer, wasn't even doing anything out of the ordinary.

I usually put on the cruise at 123km/h and call it a day. No one really bugs you until 125 and up. I thought I read something where they were going to increase the 400 level highways to 120.

I remember driving in Italy with the cruise on in my Alfa wagon at 190...a little floatier than I expected...naybe it was the fact we had 5 luggage, a stroller and 4 people in the car!

Tough to go the speed limit when many cars can do twice or three times the limit.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I usually put on the cruise at 123km/h and call it a day. No one really bugs you until 125 and up. I thought I read something where they were going to increase the 400 level highways to 120.

I remember driving in Italy with the cruise on in my Alfa wagon at 190...a little floatier than I expected...naybe it was the fact we had 5 luggage, a stroller and 4 people in the car!

Tough to go the speed limit when many cars can do twice or three times the limit.

A human body can also jump off a bridge. Just because there's a capacity to do it doesn't mean it should be done.

The problem is regulation. Is the speed limit 100? Great, then enforce it at 100. Is it 100 but the police are okay with letting people go 20 over since there are no demerits before that point? Great, then make the speed limit 120 and police it aggressively.

Regardless, the problem is enforcement. The 100km/hr limit isn't taken seriously because nobody forces people to take it seriously and legislation won't be respected SOLELY on the basis of it being legislation. People have to believe in it for it to make a difference.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

About damn time

Make the speed limit 120 and enforce it to the letter instead of allowing some people to go over the limit sometime and some other time not so much

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
About damn time

Make the speed limit 120 and enforce it to the letter instead of allowing some people to go over the limit sometime and some other time not so much

I disagree. Raising the speed limit to 120 will do one of two things:

1. If not enforced properly, will see people take advantage of the same tolerance we get in Ontario all the time, or

2. Result in people going 120, which is what happens already.

So either we'll see an increase in speed, resulting in an increase of fatal collisions (as opposed to crashes that might be non-fatal at lower speeds)... OR we'll see no change at all beyond the costs to replace the speed limit signage.

Also, RE: raising speed limits, that's only in B.C. for now, and only on some highways, not all.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I disagree. Raising the speed limit to 120 will do one of two things:

1. If not enforced properly, will see people take advantage of the same tolerance we get in Ontario all the time, or

2. Result in people going 120, which is what happens already.

So either we'll see an increase in speed, resulting in an increase of fatal collisions (as opposed to crashes that might be non-fatal at lower speeds)... OR we'll see no change at all beyond the costs to replace the speed limit signage.

Also, RE: raising speed limits, that's only in B.C. for now, and only on some highways, not all.

Crashes are more related to how far from the speed of the "flow" of traffic is going. Going faster or slower is dangerous. If the limit is raised to 120 and more people go 120 than the current limit the roads will be safer

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

I dont consider myself a comedian.

Best way I can describe it(Diablo 2 metaphor):

Real life is closed battle.net. Gotta follow the rules and play legit or have consequences. Make friends and joins clans to make the game more fun. By far the better way to play.

The internet(+anonymity) is open battle.net. Anything goes. Modding, hacking and cheating. No consequences(obviously within reason).

I find /b/ hilarious but in real life no one would think I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad