OT: Sens Lounge LXXVII | A Fridge Too Far Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If I were to travel the only two places I'd want to go are Prague and Hadrian's Wall. Though I would never actually go.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Anyone know if I can find a higher def version of this picture online?

daniel-alfredsson-dany-heatley-and-jason-spezza.jpg

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
My 30th was the only birthday in my entire life when I actually felt different afterwards.

My 30th was spent moving between temporary housing arrangements in England. Think it was raining that day too, was a pretty terrible day all around... though I think that weekend was the one when I went to Warwick Castle which was sunny and fun.

I've pretty much never celebrated my birthday as an adult though, possibly might use it as an excuse to go have a couple drinks if it falls on a weekend but outside of that nothing really... just another day.

Because there's three of four birthdays in my family all in October - as a family usually just celebrate everyone's birthday at Thanksgiving since it's the highest likelihood of everyone being around.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, don't try to understand why people reach a point where that is the seemingly best option. To you it may seem like they gave up, but you haven't walekd in their shoes. You have no idea what its like to be in so deep a hole that the only way to ever see light again is to tie a rope around your neck. Why bother trying to understand them, just condemn them out of ignorance.

He was clearly mentally ill, anyone that commits suicide is. We need to better understand why this happens so that we can treat it and help people. Regardless of whether or not that person is a celebrity.

Im sad that we're not going to see any more of his material, he made me laugh a lot. And that's something special in my opinion.

I agree. Depression is a very hard illness to live with, by both the person with it and those who live with them.

His death makes me sad. I shall miss him. He made me laugh so many times.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Japan GDP dropped 7%... That can't be good

It's a tricky 7%, in a way. Japan raised their sales tax from 5% to 8% recently, and it caused a MASSIVE domestic sales rush LAST quarter as consumers rushed to make all their major purchases (cars, computers, etc...) before the 3% sales tax increase.

The 7% represents a drop from last quarter (which was super-inflated because people went on crazy spending sprees because of imminent tax hike) to this quarter (which was low in comparison, because many people had made all their major purchases in the previous quarter).

It's only a 1.7% drop overall, in the larger picture... Which is still bad, but not nearly as catastrophic as the 6.8% would lead you to believe.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Stoked, just learned that Above & Beyond and Mat Zo will be playing at the EY Centre in September! Just made my day.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's a tricky 7%, in a way. Japan raised their sales tax from 5% to 8% recently, and it caused a MASSIVE domestic sales rush LAST quarter as consumers rushed to make all their major purchases (cars, computers, etc...) before the 3% sales tax increase.

The 7% represents a drop from last quarter (which was super-inflated because people went on crazy spending sprees because of imminent tax hike) to this quarter (which was low in comparison, because many people had made all their major purchases in the previous quarter).

It's only a 1.7% drop overall, in the larger picture... Which is still bad, but not nearly as catastrophic as the 6.8% would lead you to believe.

Alan Greenspan is this you?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
On the speeding topic. While there is a posted maximum limit, enforcement is generally done based on the 85th percentile speed. This is because yes, variance is the problem.

And having trucks going slower is fine, so long as they're enforced having to stay in the right lane. The issue with trucks is the ones that go into the third lane because they're doing 105 and want to get around someone who is doing 104 just as they start climbing a hill, while being loaded.

Really one thing that needs to be better enforced is people using the middle and third lanes as driving lanes and not actually moving out of the way of people going faster than them (regardless of what speed the person behind is going, if you have room to move over - do it... you are creating a traffic obstruction otherwise). No, 'I'm doing 120, so they should too!' is not a valid reason to obstruct the lane and just forces people to undertake, which is significantly riskier. Any lane that is not the far right lane is technically a 'passing' lane unless marked otherwise (ie an HOV lane).

That would be tough to enforce. There are quite a few areas on the Queensway alone where the far right lane suddenly turns into an off-ramp. A lot of people either don't like or are uncomfortable with flipping over to the left at the last minute and will take the center lane 1-2 km before the exit. We also have to remember there are people from 16-106 behind those wheels - not everyone is a pro behind the wheel, not every car is new and high end performance, and not everyone is 100% healthy behind the wheel (morning sleepy drivers, late night drivers, etc).

Personally, driving on the 174 the lat few years has been a nightmare. Simply going the limit at 90 the car feels like it's tearing itself apart because of the disastrous conditions on many sections of that highway. Going any faster could definitely cause collisions - not because of bad drivers - but some of the potholes and dents on the road when hit the wrong way can cause a loss of control for a second or two. That's the problem in Canada...such extreme weather destroys our roads so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad