OT: Sens Lounge LXXVII | A Fridge Too Far Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
You should definitely attend if you have a chance. Tickets go on sale Thursday. Will be one hell of a show. Mat Zo is a superb producer as well.

Definitely planning on it if the price is right. My buddy sent me a link to an A&B acoustic show and then linked me to the podcast, and I was hooked in a nanosecond. Those guys are insanely talented.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Definitely planning on it if the price is right. My buddy sent me a link to an A&B acoustic show and then linked me to the podcast, and I was hooked in a nanosecond. Those guys are insanely talented.

Yes that's right I remember you telling me that when I mentioned that I was heading to NYC to catch their ABGT100 show in October. Let me know if you do end up buying one! I'm guessing it'll be around 40$ or so. I'll be there for sure.

Anything to hear this one live:
https://soundcloud.com/aboveandbeyond/blue-sky-action-club-mix

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
If you're looking for big pictures of the Pizza line in general, I found this one.

ottawa-05-24-07-ottawa-senators-l-r-dany-heatley-daniel-alfredsson-and-jason-sp1.jpg

... also found this one:

heatley-alfredsson-spezza.jpg

Thanks but I particularly like the one I'm seeking because of the way they're positioned. Kind of like the one that had the three Staals lined up for the anthem in Carolina.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I genuinely feel bad for people who don't understand the concepts of sarcasm & satire.

Wait, no... I worded that poorly. Let me try that again:

I ---> DON'T <--- feel bad AT ALL, WHATSOEVER, for people who don't understand the concepts of sarcasm & satire, WINK WINK. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: SARCASM!!! :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

... there. I feel better now.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I genuinely feel bad for people who don't understand the concepts of sarcasm & satire.

Wait, no... I worded that poorly. Let me try that again:

I ---> DON'T <--- feel bad AT ALL, WHATSOEVER, for people who don't understand the concepts of sarcasm & satire, WINK WINK. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: SARCASM!!! :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

... there. I feel better now.

What if someone only grasps one or the other tho.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Text can be interpreted so many ways. One time I had to explain to my supervisor why I replied to someone else's email saying "No one cares". Well, there was a history behind the sarcasm but taken out of context it appeared I was being rude to someone.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Note to self. Double scoop of protein powder before bed is a bad idea if I want to sleep.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Man, if there's one single stereotype that has been proven a thousand times over in my years as an expatriate in Asia, it's that with maybe a few exceptions, Americans CAN NOT take a joke at their own expense.

I was picking up the kids from school today, and was talking with two other dads with kids in my son's class. The topic of going to Singapore came up (which is very common, as it's the closest country to fly to for a visa run), and the following conversation ensued:

Dad 1: "I don't even like going to Singapore anymore - I mean, if you want a beer, nevermind the prices at restaurants, even if you want a beer at the convenience store, it's $6 for a tallboy!"
Dad 2: "Yeah, if I were back home (Colorado), I could get a 6-pack of Budweiser for that price!"
Me: (making it obvious that I'm joking) "Yeah, but the downside there is you'd then have to drink a 6-pack of Budweiser!"
Dad 2: (visibly offended) "Excuse me, I LIKE Budweiser"
Dad 1: (also visibly offended to me) "I also like Budweiser, ok? Is that OK with you?!?"

... and then I was excluded from any conversation for the next 20 minutes until the kids were ready to go home. End scene.

I totally understand why British humor has never really caught on in the US.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Man, if there's one single stereotype that has been proven a thousand times over in my years as an expatriate in Asia, it's that with maybe a few exceptions, Americans CAN NOT take a joke at their own expense.

I was picking up the kids from school today, and was talking with two other dads with kids in my son's class. The topic of going to Singapore came up (which is very common, as it's the closest country to fly to for a visa run), and the following conversation ensued:

Dad 1: "I don't even like going to Singapore anymore - I mean, if you want a beer, nevermind the prices at restaurants, even if you want a beer at the convenience store, it's $6 for a tallboy!"
Dad 2: "Yeah, if I were back home (Colorado), I could get a 6-pack of Budweiser for that price!"
Me: (making it obvious that I'm joking) "Yeah, but the downside there is you'd then have to drink a 6-pack of Budweiser!"
Dad 1: (also visibly offended to me) "I also like Budweiser, ok? Is that OK with you?!?"

... and then I was excluded from any conversation for the next 20 minutes until the kids were ready to go home. End scene.

There must be some anti-sense of humour additive in that Bud they love so much.

The Fuhr*

It's a tricky 7%, in a way. Japan raised their sales tax from 5% to 8% recently, and it caused a MASSIVE domestic sales rush LAST quarter as consumers rushed to make all their major purchases (cars, computers, etc...) before the 3% sales tax increase.

The 7% represents a drop from last quarter (which was super-inflated because people went on crazy spending sprees because of imminent tax hike) to this quarter (which was low in comparison, because many people had made all their major purchases in the previous quarter).

It's only a 1.7% drop overall, in the larger picture... Which is still bad, but not nearly as catastrophic as the 6.8% would lead you to believe.

Cool, thx for that info

I've been reading about how an economic collapse would begin with Japan over the last two years so the 7% jumped at me...

Good to know it was not as bad as that

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Don't be the Canadian in that King of the Hill episode ;)

3rd rock from the sun is such an underrated show... Hilarious

John Lithgow FTW: other than that Stallone movie about climbing mountains I don't think I've ever seen him in something I didn't like

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think I saw that episode... what was the "Canadian" character like?

A dbag who keeps telling the Americans how their beer sucks compared to the Canadian stuff and how everything in Canada is better

He also calls the cops on Hank because Hank likes to mow his lawn with some big noisy machine rather than have a chat with Hank about it

It's a great episode

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think the most amusing thing with the British sense of humour is the absolute disconnect between our understand of sarcasm and their understanding of sarcasm. That's where a lot of their dry wit comes across flat over here for both Americans and Canadians.

And then you get the Germans who seem to lack any sarcasm gene at all...

The part that's common between Canadian and British humour though is the proper use of self-deprecation. Americans don't seem to quite get it, and take offense to it if they think they're included or dog-pile otherwise. And again, Germans lack the concept and just think you're trying to have a pity party.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A dbag who keeps telling the Americans how their beer sucks compared to the Canadian stuff and how everything in Canada is better

He also calls the cops on Hank because Hank likes to mow his lawn with some big noisy machine rather than have a chat with Hank about it

It's a great episode

Ah, ok. Not that.

I think I was just drawing on how I can usually joke around with the Brits/Aussies/Kiwis a lot more than the Yanks. Similar senses of humor.

And again, Germans lack the concept and just think you're trying to have a pity party.

Haha, this... But they just play along, and then almost get it right. Like "OK, the Commonwealth guys are just poking fun at eachother, I will make a joke about Austria now".

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I think the most amusing thing with the British sense of humour is the absolute disconnect between our understand of sarcasm and their understanding of sarcasm. That's where a lot of their dry wit comes across flat over here for both Americans and Canadians.

And then you get the Germans who seem to lack any sarcasm gene at all...

The part that's common between Canadian and British humour though is the proper use of self-deprecation. Americans don't seem to quite get it, and take offense to it if they think they're included or dog-pile otherwise. And again, Germans lack the concept and just think you're trying to have a pity party.

I think that's why Nathan for You seems to be a complete hit or miss with people. A lot of people can't understand making yourself the butt of the joke, and Nathan Fielder is pretty much the master of it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ah, ok. Not that.

I think I was just drawing on how I can usually joke around with the Brits/Aussies/Kiwis a lot more than the Yanks. Similar senses of humor.

I agree

It's just that, in my experience in dealing with Americans abroad, they get a lot of flack from everyone about their major beers :laugh:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I miss writing essays

They were fun

I think that's why Nathan for You seems to be a complete hit or miss with people. A lot of people can't understand making yourself the butt of the joke, and Nathan Fielder is pretty much the master of it.

One thing the Tuesday Night Open Mic Standups at the Laff have shown me is that good self depricating humour is a lot tougher to pull off than you'd think: some of he aspiring comics just figured that just shooting themselves in the foot was good enough and it got embarassing more times than I'd like to admit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad