OT: Sens Lounge LXXVII | A Fridge Too Far Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
There is some scary, ridiculous **** happening in Ferguson, Missouri.

Police pointing guns at unarmed people, journalists getting arrested... looks and sounds like a war zone.

They have ****ing tanks. Why the **** do they have tanks for a town of 21,000?

Best wishes to all currenty affected.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
This is what happens when you militarize a police force acting out their Call of Duty fantasies.

It's only going to get worse. Both in this specific instance, and generally.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Remember when I said that the US government is a police state and should be considered terrorist in the eyes of how they define other groups of terrorists?

Yeah.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Super stoked about nailing a PR on bench press tonight. 50lbs improvement from Christmas, which includes a three month break entirely away from the gym.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
On a random note, as I have been perusing through the internet the past few days, I am frankly shocked and amazed by how many people who have admitted to thinking about or attempting suicide. Furthermore, even more people have admitted to struggling with some form of depression. It's pandemic and honestly kind of depressing :(.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
On a random note, as I have been perusing through the internet the past few days, I am frankly shocked and amazed by how many people who have admitted to thinking about or attempting suicide. Furthermore, even more people have admitted to struggling with some form of depression. It's pandemic and honestly kind of depressing :(.

A pandemic is the wrong term, but yes, depression affects a large portion of the population, me included, and most who suffer from it will have thoughts of suicide at some point. At this point I dont see how anyone can be shocked by this fact.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A pandemic is the wrong term, but yes, depression affects a large portion of the population, me included, and most who suffer from it will have thoughts of suicide at some point. At this point I dont see how anyone can be shocked by this fact.

I've been diagnosed with depression (and I have a personality that is very prone to depressive episodes), but I've never been at that stage... possibly due to my irrational fear of death.

I realize I'm in the minority here, though.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I was just surprised.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It's pretty worrying. And it definitely makes you wonder if previous generations had it this bad but were forced to put up more walls to hide it, or if it's a more recently mass-spread disease being egged on by today's society. Either way, it's comforting to know that help is available, but it must be insanely tough to be in a position where you either don't think you need help or don't want to bother others with your problems.

I can't even imagine.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if the environment played a huge role in this. All the chemicals and pollutants in the air, soil and water. It's slowly screwing up our body chemistry and killing everyone.

Add in longer workdays, the new technology of constantly being "connected" with one another and everyone on the planet having direct access to everyone else. Humans may be social animals, but we weren't meant to be watched by a billion "big brothers" 24/7.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Humans and sperm whales are the only species known to commit suicide. I wonder if the suicide rate among humans would drop if there was no such thing as "debt". At least maybe financial debt.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I think a big part of why depression is becoming more and more common is our culture and "individualist" society. In which we are more prone of social isolation than before (social media is not the same as direct social contact). We are constantly being fed stories, movies and ads that create an unrealistic cultural expectation most of us can't meet. Obviously there is way more to this, but it's part of the problem.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
It's unreal how much your GAINZ can improve in one month of constant work.

It's a real motivator once you get past that first hurdle.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've been diagnosed with depression (and I have a personality that is very prone to depressive episodes), but I've never been at that stage... possibly due to my irrational fear of death.

I realize I'm in the minority here, though.

I'm not sure a fear of death is ever irrational. I mean, the end game of being a living person is not being dead, so it would occur to me that a fear of not being dead is perfectly rational.

Now if, for example, you feared that normally innoculous objects are going to cause death, that would be irrational... Stay vigilant in the presence of tape dispensers, you never know when they will strick to snuff your life out.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
In weightlifting, I don't believe a sudden loss of bowel control should get someone kicked out of a gym.

---

Re: Depression...Yes, all the time. Still don't wanna bother others with my problems. I also don't wanna make more of it than I need to as it could just be a decade and a half year long bout of the blues. I mean, there's a chance right? :laugh: There's ups there's downs; it all just seems like life. So I just post nonsense in here (^) that makes me laugh, seek shelter in Simpson's quotes, try to do things I enjoy doing. Make it through another day. There are times I wish for death but it never goes that far in practice. Forgiveness is important. Yourself, others, mostly yourself. "Individualist society", yeah, I'd like to shove a lemon down its throat most of the time.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
People get down and life can be hard, unfair and infuriating. When something bad happens, it is a normal reaction to be down. I think some people misuse the word depression. A normal reaction to something sad or heartbreaking is to be...sad.

For people who cannot figure out why they are sad is the depression that is more serious and therapy can definitely help.

I think the late teens and early twenties gang are probably not as good with coping strategies coming from overprotective parents, myself included as my teenager and my other kids are probably going to find out! Of course there are many exceptions to this and this is not meant to categorize anyone here particularly, just a general observation.

People who post those "remember when" threads of kids being kids, not wearing helmets, playing until dark without supervisions, etc...like to romanticize about growing up in the 70s or 80s compared to parents of today. I am guilty of this as well, over-protective, caring too much because parents of today are so much more involved than my parents were. Kids in the 70s were out all day because parents were busy working, trying to get ahead and we had scarce family time compared to the amount of time I make for my kids. Hard to leave them out of my sight and sometimes hate myself for being there for every little thing.

Would it be better to let my kids figure things out the hard way? I don't know why I have to subject my kids to suffering if I can help them, but at some point they have to try and figure things out. I won't be here forever to wipe their nose and clean their scraped knee. I get the feeling that the first instance my son is challenged, he is going to fail to cope with life's challenges, and he will become depressed, need meds, etc...worries the hell out of me as he is starting grade 8.

My then 9 yr old daughter was bullied socially two years ago and she coped with it from November to February with our help. It was very hard to watch, heartbreaking because girls can be so incredibly mean. Exclusion is the absolute worst. We tried to cope on our own, I tried to teach her, as did my wife, how to deal with these issues until one day it became violent and then I went into full beastmode at school against the teacher and parents of the other girl. Needless to say it got fixed. The principal asked me why I waited so long. I told her that if I told my daughter to tell me every instance that she was bullied from November she would never know how to solve her own problems. She looked at me like I was from Mars.

When I volunteer for some school events you hear the word "bully" all over the schoolyard to the point that teachers are completely desensitized to the very notion. It has lost its power, believe me. No one is teased, punched, tripped, made funof, etc.. anymore. Just bullying. A kid says it, the others gasp at the word and scatter as they do not want the label so it is effective between kids, but the teachers? Not so much.

What did she learn? Well again, new year different girl and she was bullied and she was able to cope with it and solve it ON HER OWN.

Back in the day the crap that is called bullying was almost expected, accepted in the 70s and 80s. Are our kids weaker or are parents over-protective?

Sorry, just started typing and it got away from me.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
A good chiro is your friend

Yea, I literally just registered an appointment with a chiropractor for Monday. I don't know if I can wait that long. I feel like I should go to the clinic at Walmart so they can at least prescribe me some pain pills or something.

But $180 IF the doctor needs to do extra examinations/x-rays?! POOP.

The pain is excruciating though, haven't experienced this much pain in my back since first injuring it last year.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yea, I literally just registered an appointment with a chiropractor for Monday. I don't know if I can wait that long. I feel like I should go to the clinic at Walmart so they can at least prescribe me some pain pills or something.

But $180 IF the doctor needs to do extra examinations/x-rays?! POOP.

The pain is excruciating though, haven't experienced this much pain in my back since first injuring it last year.

Advil (10mg per kilo, so you may need three tablets) plus ice should start to work and help get the swelling down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad