OT: Sens Lounge LXXVII | A Fridge Too Far Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I'm so upset right now. Robin Williams was one of my favorite actors growing up. His performance in "Good Will Hunting" is one of my all-time favorites.

Just the worst news.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Wow that is really upsetting. As great of a comedian as he was, I'll remember him for his incredible performances in Dead Poet's Society and Good Will Hunting.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i've never watched dead poets society. guess i was saving it for tonight.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Wow that is really upsetting. As great of a comedian as he was, I'll remember him for his incredible performances in Dead Poet's Society and Good Will Hunting.

I'll add Awakenings iirc

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
And as good of an actor he was, his stand-up was so incredibly good. One of the all-time best really. What a loss.

His later years weren't quite my cup of tea, but Carlin ran into the same problem. Basically once they stop self-medicating, the humour went from subtly crass to overtly crass and they became cranky old men (from the bits I remember).

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I remember when I was in high school, and Betamax was just becoming available. No one could afford the machines outright, so my buddies and I had to rent one if we wanted to have a movie night. One of the first things we rented was a stand up comedy show by Robin Williams that had us laughing so much we watched it again (after a rewind, which goes to show how far tech has come).

I can still hear him saying "poor people get crabs, rich people get lobsters" as he was darting from bit to bit in his usual manic way.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I remember when I was in high school, and Betamax was just becoming available. No one could afford the machines outright, so my buddies and I had to rent one if we wanted to have a movie night. One of the first things we rented was a stand up comedy show by Robin Williams that had us laughing so much we watched it again (after a rewind, which goes to show how far tech has come).

I can still hear him saying "poor people get crabs, rich people get lobsters" as he was darting from bit to bit in his usual manic way.

That was, "An Evening With Robin Williams" - to me, that remains the gold standard for standup comedy. He was without equal as an improv artist and standup comedian, in my view...

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That was, "An Evening With Robin Williams" - to me, that remains the gold standard for standup comedy. He was without equal as an improv artist and standup comedian, in my view...

Robin Williams had a lot of gold in his act over the years. Even his more recent stuff, there was a bit about golf that had me in stiches.

cant post the video to his colourful language, but here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Also recommend World's Greatest Dad.

Bit of a glimpse into his darker comedy.

Stay away from Insomnia though. That movie was terrible.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Man, Robin Williams was definitely a big part of my childhood. Flubber, Hook, Jumanji, Aladdin, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jack, Patch Adams....

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wow...just getting up from a little pre-work nap and caught this at the top of my Facebook feeds. Talk about depressing news.

I remember 'discovering' him as a kid watching Mork & Mindy. And his interviews at the time...so hyper and full of life.

Strange who the people who appear to be the biggest 'class clowns' and most grounded and gentle souls are also the most vulnerable underneath the surface. I've often wondered if many of those comedians out there use humor as a tool to hide that pain from the rest of the world.

...and that jackass Dane Cook is still around. Life isn't fair.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I've often wondered if many of those comedians out there use humor as a tool to hide that pain from the rest of the world.

It's common in that line of work. Between constant time on the road, working nights, etc. it's easy to get involved with drugs or alcohol, which can only exacerbate many issues already in place.

It really does become a self fulfilling prophecy sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad