OT: Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where the RedBlacks won and it was a good day.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No doubt. Frankly, I'm more surprised at how easily he's been able to keep his past so shrouded. In today's era of technology and information being accessible at the click of a mouse, it's nearly unfathomable that we don't even know where this freaking guy was born.

Looking at his face, I'd be willing to bet he's had quite a bit of plastic surgery done. Chances are he has gone through a name change or two as well.

Heck, his life is more interesting than his crazy film. :laugh:

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
you've never played through metroid have you

I played older Metroid games. Nothing special, IMO. I actually find the Metroid games to be weaker than most Nintendo made games for the sole fact that I can't get involved with the character(s)/story at all. The gameplay is alright, but there's certainly much better out there. I consider the Zelda games the more enjoyable of Nintendo's "babies" and I can see why they keep spitting them out like bubblegum.

If we're going to look at who has had my favorite console exclusives in recent memory, Nintendo is so far behind in the dust that Sony and Microsoft have lapped them about 20 times each.

Hell, Naughty Dog alone has come out with better exclusives than Nintendo has in the last decade, IMO. :laugh:

...and on that note, anyone heard about Tommy Wiseau's new TV series? It looks so objectively awful and I can't wait.

I'm surprised that Wiseau guy hasn't gotten more roles. He has a really good face for a heavy (not on the same facial level as Danny Trejo, Javier Bardem or Mickey Rourke, but pretty close). His acting isn't all that great, but most heavys don't exactly have a lot of dialogue.

Have you read The Disaster Artist by his The Room co-star, Greg Sestero? One glance at that will tell you exactly why he hasn't starred elsewhere. He's apparently a massive control freak. It's his way or he won't do it, and that's just the way it is.

I can't say that I read too many books but The Disaster Artist is eventually a must for me. I've seen a few interviews with Sestero and he's pretty genuine and realizes that the movie is awful garbage. He seems like a pretty normal dude and I'm sure the stories he has of Wiseau make the book worthwhile.

Wiseau does genuinely believe that The Room is a masterpiece. He claims that it was filmed to be intentionally bad to be considered a black comedy (which is nonsense).

I'm looking forward to seeing where James Franco takes the Tommy Wiseau movie idea.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yikes.

In a way it's not all that surprising. Pilots are people, too. Having one plane disappear this spring, another shot down, and who knows what else those of us outside the industry don't hear, it's got to be an extremely stressful time for everyone in the industry. I wouldn't be shocked to hear pilots, mechanics, fight dispatchers, and others having a difficult time coping with their jobs the last few months. When that kind of stress and uncertainty starts eating away at a person, especially in jobs like that where everything is critical....not good at all.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Very true. Sandler proved that he is perfectly capable of being a competent actor. It's unfortunate that he'd rather manipulate the American film industry that allows him to make millions upon millions for making filth.

Reign Over Me was another good Sandler performance.

But he is dead to me. Grown Ups, Jack and Jill, and all the other bull**** that he's spit out in the last 5 years is the worst tripe ever made.

Punch Drunk Love was all about Paul Thomas Anderson; Sandler is still doing his usual Sandler stuff with "nice guy gets really angry". I liked the movie but mostly because of the direction (the colours in that movie are fanstastic) and it has Phillip Seymour Hoffman in it.

It's true they are unsalvageable crap. At least Nicolas Cage would make such things watchable.

5fWPJ.jpg

I played older Metroid games. Nothing special, IMO. I actually find the Metroid games to be weaker than most Nintendo made games for the sole fact that I can't get involved with the character(s)/story at all. The gameplay is alright, but there's certainly much better out there. I consider the Zelda games the more enjoyable of Nintendo's "babies" and I can see why they keep spitting them out like bubblegum.

If we're going to look at who has had my favorite console exclusives in recent memory, Nintendo is so far behind in the dust that Sony and Microsoft have lapped them about 20 times each.

Hell, Naughty Dog alone has come out with better exclusives than Nintendo has in the last decade, IMO. :laugh:

Super Metroid is absolutely amazing and Metroid Prime was a tour-de-force of epic proportions. Interestingly enough Metroid games do not sell well in Japan but people love them elsewhere: I am buying a WiiU once they announce Zelda and Metroid for it and I barely play games anymore.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

This is such a strange perspective to me (which is fine, I don't actually mind people having a different opinion on something so subjective).

Which Metroid games have you played? I'm guessing you haven't played any of the Prime trilogy, correct?

Zelda really isn't churned out as frequently as you seem to think though. Skyward Sword was the last console release and came out in 2011. We're expecting the new open world Zelda for sometime late 2015. Twilight Princess came out in 2007 and Wind Waker 2003. They're generally on a 4 year dev cycle with 1 or 2 releases per console generation and they are generally game of the year nominees, winners or just the best release of their generation.

They of course release quite a few handheld games, but those aren't handled by the main Nintendo studios, generally given to smaller devs to get their feet wet. The latest is actually a wonderful game, probably one of my favourite games from last year. But those aren't full retail AAA console titles, sometimes re releases like OoT3D.

Kinda funny you mention Naughty Dog though, the only decent game they've made lately is Last of Us which is amazing but I don't see how that holds up to anything the 3DS, Wii or Wii U have to show for but I obviously really like Nintendo games. The whole Uncharted, here's some bad guys go shoot them thing doesn't do it for me. Bad story, great graphics. It's a really boring franchise, I'm kind of disappointed that they're working on a 4th already. Was really hoping they'd go for another new IP on ps4, but people like that franchise for whatever reason. Waste of an amazing studio imo after we saw what they're capable of with TLoU.

If you want something different from Nintendo than the old Mario and Zelda stuff, I'd highly recommend Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles and Pikmin. The new Donkey Kong games are great too and I find them incredibly challenging, but that's your typical side scrolling adventure platformer, but a very good one.

Lots of stuff coming down the pipe though with Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Smash, Devil's Third, and Bayonetta 2 all to be out by the end of the year. Wii U is a really good system for people who are tired of first person shooters and want something a bit different. It's not for everyone, lots of people still pay money for Call of Duty which is mind blowing but they do. People will still buy Battlefield even after the fiasco of BF4. I hope DICE doesn't **** up Battlefront. ...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Naughty Dog haven't made anything good since Crash Bandicoot although I will admit I haven't played The Last of Us yet and don't plan to

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
This is such a strange perspective to me (which is fine, I don't actually mind people having a different opinion on something so subjective).

Which Metroid games have you played? I'm guessing you haven't played any of the Prime trilogy, correct?

I believe the last one I played was Metroid Prime (2004). I mean, it's been a while but I don't remember being too enthralled.

Zelda really isn't churned out as frequently as you seem to think though. Skyward Sword was the last console release and came out in 2011. We're expecting the new open world Zelda for sometime late 2015. Twilight Princess came out in 2007 and Wind Waker 2003. They're generally on a 4 year dev cycle with 1 or 2 releases per console generation and they are generally game of the year nominees, winners or just the best release of their generation.

I actually hadn't realized the time between TP and the new one. I have TP and it didn't feel that long ago, surprisingly. I don't really have anything negative to say about the Zelda series. I think it's just because I've seen a ton of ports come out recently for prior Zelda games that I've been overexposed.

Kinda funny you mention Naughty Dog though, the only decent game they've made lately is Last of Us which is amazing but I don't see how that holds up to anything the 3DS, Wii or Wii U have to show for but I obviously really like Nintendo games. The whole Uncharted, here's some bad guys go shoot them thing doesn't do it for me. Bad story, great graphics. It's a really boring franchise, I'm kind of disappointed that they're working on a 4th already. Was really hoping they'd go for another new IP on ps4, but people like that franchise for whatever reason. Waste of an amazing studio imo after we saw what they're capable of with TLoU.

I personally enjoy the Uncharted series from what I have played and The Last of Us is one of the best games ever made, IMO. I threw out Naughty Dog as an example, but the same could be said for many developers who develop for Microsoft/Sony and not Nintendo. BioWare, Bethesda, etc.

If you want something different from Nintendo than the old Mario and Zelda stuff, I'd highly recommend Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles and Pikmin. The new Donkey Kong games are great too and I find them incredibly challenging, but that's your typical side scrolling adventure platformer, but a very good one.

Lots of stuff coming down the pipe though with Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Smash, Devil's Third, and Bayonetta 2 all to be out by the end of the year. Wii U is a really good system for people who are tired of first person shooters and want something a bit different. It's not for everyone, lots of people still pay money for Call of Duty which is mind blowing but they do. People will still buy Battlefield even after the fiasco of BF4. I hope DICE doesn't **** up Battlefront. ...

I remember thoroughly enjoying the Pikmin series. Can't say I'm familiar with the others.

Again, I can see why people would love the WiiU and Nintendo's products but their library doesn't seem to be targeted to me. I'm sure there probably are some great games out there for the console, but even then, I'm deterred by Nintendo's lacklustre use of an online gaming community as well as sports games. Those are basically my two niche groups right there.

I've grown to loathe the CoD franchise. I still enjoy BF4.

I understand Nintendo's business model and they clearly know what they are doing, but it's simply left me out of their target demographic.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think I'd put Super Metroid at number 1

The first game I can think of that had actual atmosphere: I guess I would have been 9 at the time and I remember getting pretty scared

Dat soundtrack too

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
A LTTP would he at #1 for me of that era. That still holds up as one of the greats. I recently got to play Earthbound on the virtual console and that was a fantastic and weird RPG. It was so ahead of its time.

I have Metroid at #2. Hard to say where I'd put Earthbound but it's right there with Mortal Kombat III, F Zero, and DKC for my top 6ish. Loved Mega Man X too.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think Zelda LTTP and Super Metroid were #1 and #2 of all-time SNES games. NHL94 #3.

Zelda, Crono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3(6), Mario Kart, Super C, MEtroid, NHL 94 . . . the list just goes on and on. THat was a great console.

Hell even the launch title was amazing.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
A LTTP would he at #1 for me of that era. That still holds up as one of the greats. I recently got to play Earthbound on the virtual console and that was a fantastic and weird RPG. It was so ahead of its time.

I have Metroid at #2. Hard to say where I'd put Earthbound but it's right there with Mortal Kombat III, F Zero, and DKC for my top 6ish. Loved Mega Man X too.

Oh forgot about earthbound, its too bad we never got the sequel to that over here. THe X series was a nice take on Megaman as well. Killer Instinct was a great fighting game. Super Bomberman was an awesome party game too. Always fun to bust out the multitap at preteen house parties, stay up all night playing it.

Back when staying up all night was an accomplishment and not a horrible regret filled mistake.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Nic Cage just seems to do every single movie his agent presents him with. He's had some good roles, but when you do that many movies you're bound to hit something good every now and then. Bad actor.

Cage has money problems, which is why he does those movies, and which is why Johnny Depp had to bail him out with the tax man. Among his possessions are several castles and a 9 foot tall mausoleum pyramid in New Orleans.

When most bad actors do bad films, they turn out to be forgettable garbage. For these films, Cage goes all out and at least turns them into something memorable.

The guy has done enough fantastic work, including winning an Oscar, to justify his qualification as a good actor.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Oh forgot about earthbound, its too bad we never got the sequel to that over here. THe X series was a nice take on Megaman as well. Killer Instinct was a great fighting game. Super Bomberman was an awesome party game too. Always fun to bust out the multitap at preteen house parties, stay up all night playing it.

Back when staying up all night was an accomplishment and not a horrible regret filled mistake.

Those were some prime years for fighting games. Super Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and KI. Good times. And still, 20 years later the sequels of those games are being played at the highest level of competition.

Seems like fighting games are making a big comeback now. Injustice is awesome, MKX and SSB4 look awesome. I think Street Fighter is getting an update soon, I believe.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Cage has money problems, which is why he does those movies, and which is why Johnny Depp had to bail him out with the tax man. Among his possessions are several castles and a 9 foot tall mausoleum pyramid in New Orleans.

When most bad actors do bad films, they turn out to be forgettable garbage. For these films, Cage goes all out and at least turns them into something memorable.

The guy has done enough fantastic work, including winning an Oscar, to justify his qualification as a good actor.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Matchstick Men, doe.

EDIT: His best performance is definitely Adaptation. Please watch that ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad