OT: Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where the RedBlacks won and it was a good day.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I've heard about that. I've also studied the Mars Project where they're gonna send around 20 people to Mars in 2020(they can never come back due to strength of gravity which our rockets can't escape). They're gonna plant trees there and look for life.

Everything scientists have every studied and believed in leads to the discoveries that will or won't be found on mars. Scientists are almost 100% confident we will find some life in the deep inner tunnels under the surface. If they don't, there will be a huge epidemic among scientists, imo.

I think you know, but the venus project isn't a model for the planet venus. It is just the place Fresco lives (venus, florida).

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I have some first world gamer problems. Destiny and NHL15 come out on the same day in September. Dragon Age and Alien: Isolation come out on the same day in October. I hate fall heavy release schedules. I have time to play these games right now, dammit. Shadow of Mordor comes out on that same October date too and I kind of wanted to see what that's about but that'll surely get pushed back for me.

Last edited:

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
I have some first world gamer problems. Destiny and NHL15 come out on the same day in September. Dragon Age and Alien: Isolation come out on the same day in October. I hate fall heavy release schedules. I have time to play these games right now, dammit. Shadow of Mordor comes out on that same October date too and I kind of wanted to see what that's about but that'll surely get pushed back for me.
I have too many games to ever play. You just got out-First-World Problemed *****. #PCGamingMasterRace.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I have too many games to ever play. You just got out-First-World Problemed *****. #PCGamingMasterRace.

You can keep your master race. I have a PC, PS4/3, Wii U, Xbone, 360, 3DS and pretty much every retro console you could name. I don't discriminate when it comes to games. Except the Ouya, **** that system.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
You can keep your master race. I have a PC, PS4/3, Wii U, Xbone, 360, 3DS and pretty much every retro console you could name. I don't discriminate when it comes to games. Except the Ouya, **** that system.

LOL.. I'm the same.. Still don't have the PS4 yet though, will eventually get it, I need to play the Show.. :yo:

Kids are still going with the Wii, but Santa will most likely bring them a Wii U this year

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
LOL.. I'm the same.. Still don't have the PS4 yet though, will eventually get it, I need to play the Show.. :yo:

Kids are still going with the Wii, but Santa will most likely bring them a Wii U this year

You can get Wii Us for such sick dirty deals now. It's the best system of the lot with the best exclusives and you can get it for like $200 now. Mario Kart 8 even came with a free code for any of Wind Waker HD, Pikmin or Wii Party U. If you have a Wii, you'll already have a bunch of controllers for it too. I bet if you wait till after Smash Bros. Release there will be some awesome bundle for that.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Owning both systems, do you have a preference between the xbone and the ps4? Im not sure which one to get

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
You can get Wii Us for such sick dirty deals now. It's the best system of the lot with the best exclusives and you can get it for like $200 now. Mario Kart 8 even came with a free code for any of Wind Waker HD, Pikmin or Wii Party U. If you have a Wii, you'll already have a bunch of controllers for it too. I bet if you wait till after Smash Bros. Release there will be some awesome bundle for that.

Yeah I saw refurbished ones at EB for $200. Almost bought one on the spot.

I'll wait until the fall to see if it goes any lower. So does the wii controller work on the Wii U? I thought it was a new controller with the screen in the middle?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Owning both systems, do you have a preference between the xbone and the ps4? Im not sure which one to get

I don't have much of a preference right now. I think I prefer the Xbone to watch Netflix and Twitch. The general UI is nice and getting much better with further updates.

As far as exclusives go, I like the Xbone ones a bit more in Titanfall, Dead Rising and I'm really excited about Sunset Overdrive. Titanfall is out on PC and Dead Rising is coming to PC so I don't think that should be a big deal for you.

I do use my PS4 for third party stuff though as it runs pretty much all of them at 1080p and 60fps, which the Xbone generally doesn't. So, it kinda depends on what you want. If you want a console to complement your PC go with Nintendo. Good couch co op alternative to the desktop and way more exclusives that you can't or won't be able to get on PC.

ps4 might worth It be worth it once No Man's Sky releases.

Yeah I saw refurbished ones at EB for $200. Almost bought one on the spot.

I'll wait until the fall to see if it goes any lower. So does the wii controller work on the Wii U? I thought it was a new controller with the screen in the middle?

The GamePad is the controller you're thinking of and yes, that's the main controller but you can use any of the Old Wiimotes for Wii U. Depending in the game. Pretty much every game is fully compatible with the mote/+nunchuk set. You can also buy Wii Pro controllers that are essentially just Xbox 360 controllers with a proper D pad and an 80 hour battery life. Every game has about 3-4 different competent controller set ups you can use so you get what's most comfortable individually. The GamePad itself is basically like a second screen with touch interface, so it's kind like a console DS. You can also play the games strictly on the GamePad if you want to let someone else use the TV.

Last edited:

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I don't have much of a preference right now. I think I prefer the Xbone to watch Netflix and Twitch. The general UI is nice and getting much better with further updates.

As far as exclusives go, I like the Xbone ones a bit more in Titanfall, Dead Rising and I'm really excited about Sunset Overdrive. Titanfall is out on PC and Dead Rising is coming to PC so I don't think that should be a big deal for you.

I do use my PS4 for third party stuff though as it runs pretty much all of them at 1080p and 60fps, which the Xbone generally doesn't. So, it kinda depends on what you want. If you want a console to complement your PC go with Nintendo. Good couch co op alternative to the desktop and way more exclusives that you can't or won't be able to get on PC.

ps4 might worth It be worth it once No Man's Sky releases.

The GamePad is the controller you're thinking of and yes, that's the main controller but you can use any of the Old Wiimotes for Wii U. Depending in the game. Pretty much every game is fully compatible with the mote/+nunchuk set. You can also buy Wii Pro controllers that are essentially just Xbox 360 controllers with a proper D pad and an 80 hour battery life. Every game has about 3-4 different competent controller set ups you can use so you get what's most comfortable individually. The GamePad itself is basically like a second screen with touch interface, so it's kind like a console DS. You can also play the games strictly on the GamePad if you want to let someone else use the TV.

To add to this, I was REALLY skeptical about the WiiU because most "gamers" make fun of it when comparing it to the XBone and PS4... funnily enough, I agree with you that when it comes to gaming, it is BY FAR the best of the 3. Games that require the gamepad use it in a really fun, cool way (like a DS). For example, when playing games like Zelda or ZombiU, you use the gamepad to check your inventory / maps in real time, so you don't have to pause the game. It makes immersion go up 100%. I didn't think this would be a big deal until I started playing for myself.

So far, Mario Kart 8 and WindWaker HD have taken up about 80 hours of my life combined... seeing as I only paid 70$ for both (I got the Mario Kart 8 + free game code deal), I'd say that's a pretty fantastic investment. The big drawback for Nintendo last gen was the graphics. The Wii looked like crap compared to the 360/PS3... Now the games look beautiful. Everything is in HD and 60fps. You can think of the graphics as a PS3/360 x 1.5. I also think Nintendo won E3 by showing the best / most interesting games and exclusives for the upcoming year and a half, and I will probably eventually buy 80% of the games they showcased.

This is coming from a guy who thought the Wii was a stupid gimmick and WiiU was even stupider... I've also now been playing a ton of original Wii games that I never played (JRPGs and platformers)... and I gotta say... in hindsight, I think Nintendo had the best games of last gen, too.

Especially for $200, I dunno how you can go wrong with it.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
My distaste for Nintendo systems stems from unoriginal games/narratives.

I got tired of Mario and Friends about a decade ago.

I can absolutely see why some would prefer the console though.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Well, good(bad?) news for you... Dragon Age is officially delayed until November. That game is a wait until reviews for me because DA2 was so abysmal, and I'm not convinced they learned from all their mistakes (and still not sure if they went back to it as a proper CRPG roots like DA:O).

I have no interest in Alien, and Destiny looks like Defiance with force powers from the previews. So I'm not squeeing over it like most others. When/if it hits PC I might give it a try - but not playing a shooter with a gamepad.

While the characters are re-used in a lot of first party titles, Nintendo games are by far the most original in terms of actual gameplay.
Nintendo's fallen by the wayside largely because they couldn't get the third party support they always used to have and can't crank out first party titles fast enough to meet demand with their development model.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Well, good(bad?) news for you... Dragon Age is officially delayed until November. That game is a wait until reviews for me because DA2 was so abysmal, and I'm not convinced they learned from all their mistakes (and still not sure if they went back to it as a proper CRPG roots like DA:O).

I have no interest in Alien, and Destiny looks like Defiance with force powers from the previews. So I'm not squeeing over it like most others. When/if it hits PC I might give it a try - but not playing a shooter with a gamepad.

While the characters are re-used in a lot of first party titles, Nintendo games are by far the most original in terms of actual gameplay.
Nintendo's fallen by the wayside largely because they couldn't get the third party support they always used to have and can't crank out first party titles fast enough to meet demand with their development model.

That's too bad about Dragon Age. I was very skeptical after DA2 but what I saw at E3 totally won me over. Looked like the most interesting game at the entire conference with how you can interact with the world.

Defiance is a really weird comparison for Destiny. I've been playing the Beta and its very much Halo like. Its Halo meets Borderlands meets WoW. Essentially an FPS MMO made by Bungie. Seems like something I could pour hours into and the PvP multiplayer feels so much like old Halo games that I'll want to play a ton of that outside of the questing and exploring.

I'll wait for Alien. The original Alien is one of my all time favourite movies (if any of you haven't seen this watch it immediately) and a game mostly based on that suspense sounds amazing to me BUT I've heard things that could ruin it and turn it into another Colonial Marines. Fingers crossed.

You're definitely right about Nintendo. They're really one of the only developers that truly have original experiences anymore. They like to use those old Mario characters but for the most part the games are unlike anything else out there. Find me another game like Pikmin or games that you can actually play with 4-5 people locally anymore. That's mostly the focus of their efforts. They've tried to separate themselves from the 1337 360noscopez type community and make games that are actually fun for everyone. I'm really looking forward to Splatoon and seeing how a competitive Nintendo shooter ends up. Gonna be a fun few months with all the games set to release for that system. They knocked E3 out of the park and put themselves back on the map for a lot of people. Sold lots of units with Mario Kart released and are buying lots of good will with their new enthusiasm for the competitive Smash scene. I expect a lot more Wii Us to sell around Christmas when SSB4 drops.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

I hate Nintendo as much as I hate Apple. I'll never understand why someone would buy a product from either company.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I hate Nintendo as much as I hate Apple. I'll never understand why someone would buy a product from either company.

Between the drug/alcohol thing and this, you seem to have very "absolute" views on things/life in general.

The world is an ocean of various shades of grey, my friend... nothing is black or white.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Defiance is a really weird comparison for Destiny. I've been playing the Beta and its very much Halo like. Its Halo meets Borderlands meets WoW. Essentially an FPS MMO made by Bungie. Seems like something I could pour hours into and the PvP multiplayer feels so much like old Halo games that I'll want to play a ton of that outside of the questing and exploring.

Well, since I think the last shooter I played on a console for any length of time was Goldeneye on N64... Defiance/Borderlands on PC are my most recent frames of reference for online shooters with some story - and from what little I know of Destiny (made by the Halo guys, shooter, MMO, guns and what looks like force powers). Defiance seemed like the more accurate comparison since it also is an MMO shooter with some semblance of a storyline.

Planetside is the only other MMOFPS I can recall, and when I played that for a little - I don't recall it having really a story. Just more of a persistent world shooter. Planetside 2 I've never even looked at so can't comment on it.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Between the drug/alcohol thing and this, you seem to have very "absolute" views on things/life in general.

The world is an ocean of various shades of grey, my friend... nothing is black or white.

Nah. I have a problem with exaggerating everything without realizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad