OT: Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where the RedBlacks won and it was a good day.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
98ae659a-cdb0-4adc-beca-ea4c899aee21.jpg

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Humanity is a mess. The world will be fine once we've wiped ourselves off the face of the planet :P

nah....what we need is a pandemic. Cut our numbers by 2/3rds.

Get back to a sustainable 1-2 billion world population and things would be a lot better (once society restructures, of course). Enough land for food & resources sustainability, a healthy environment, and humans to live very comfortably without anyone feeling deprived.

Right now there simply isn't enough space (and resources) to satisfy the wants of humanity and have a healthy planet. (Yes, there's enough resources to satisfy the needs of humanity, but we all know that humans don't stop at our basic needs...we need to fulfill most of the reasonable wants as well for humans to be satisfied.)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Get back to a sustainable 1-2 billion world population and things would be a lot better (once society restructures, of course). Enough land for food & resources sustainability, a healthy environment, and humans to live very comfortably without anyone feeling deprived.

Right now there simply isn't enough space (and resources) to satisfy the wants of humanity and have a healthy planet. (Yes, there's enough resources to satisfy the needs of humanity, but we all know that humans don't stop at our basic needs...we need to fulfill most of the reasonable wants as well for humans to be satisfied.)

So wait, you're a proponent of another, larger black death? Wouldn't be that easy to say if that hit close to home.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F

But if we cannot, as a society, bridle our wants, there won't be enough resources for even 1-2 billion.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So wait, you're a proponent of another, larger black death? Wouldn't be that easy to say if that hit close to home.

With my poor immune system, I'm the human equivalent of the canary in the coal mine, so the future smaller world wouldn't benefit me, as I'd be part of the landfill. But for the rest of humanity (and the planet), it would be the best possible outcome long-term. We simply can't have too many of any particular species on the planet and expect to have a healthy Earth.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mad scientist in a cave somewhere who's making a ebola/flu hybrid out there and just waiting for the right time to deploy.....or mother nature might be doing it already...bulldoze the wrong section of rainforest and who knows what undiscovered nasties might be hiding.

But if we cannot, as a society, bridle our wants, there won't be enough resources for even 1-2 billion.

True. That's why I say reasonable wants. There's always going to be some greedy people who want the entire planet for themselves. But yes, we do need to be more realistic in our wants. There's really no reason for an individual person to be worth billions of dollars, or have tens of thousands of acres of land while so many others have nothing. (Not saying money is evil or billionaires have to throw it away, but dang, there are limits to how much is enough.)

Balance. Everything in life is about balance.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Have you seen the stuff they've been putting in Coke and what not? Not to mention genetic cross-breading of fruits and animals. What about the conditions and all the processed foods and meat? All of which we don't know the consequences of long-term. That "scenario" and "plan" you speak of, may have already been put to motion.

Btw, I know your last line was inspired by Godzilla :P

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Have you seen the stuff they've been putting in Coke and what not? Not to mention genetic cross-breading of fruits and animals. What about the conditions and all the processed foods and meat? All of which we don't know the consequences of long-term. That "scenario" and "plan" you speak of, may have already been put to motion.

Btw, I know your last line was inspired by Godzilla :P

They used that line in Godzilla? lol, last Godzilla I saw was the one with the Ferris Buller guy in it. :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if those gmo foods and stuff cause a ton of damage to us westerners long-term. We're already at a point where we can't drink most of the water around the world (compared to most other groups of people). Makes you wonder if our modern conveniences ultimately kill us in the end.

I can only imagine how easy it would be for western society to crumble after a massive solar flare (yes, I watch too many b-sci fi movies) wipes out our power grid and electronics.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
With my poor immune system, I'm the human equivalent of the canary in the coal mine, so the future smaller world wouldn't benefit me, as I'd be part of the landfill. But for the rest of humanity (and the planet), it would be the best possible outcome long-term. We simply can't have too many of any particular species on the planet and expect to have a healthy Earth.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mad scientist in a cave somewhere who's making a ebola/flu hybrid out there and just waiting for the right time to deploy.....or mother nature might be doing it already...bulldoze the wrong section of rainforest and who knows what undiscovered nasties might be hiding.

True. That's why I say reasonable wants. There's always going to be some greedy people who want the entire planet for themselves. But yes, we do need to be more realistic in our wants. There's really no reason for an individual person to be worth billions of dollars, or have tens of thousands of acres of land while so many others have nothing. (Not saying money is evil or billionaires have to throw it away, but dang, there are limits to how much is enough.)

Balance. Everything in life is about balance.

Yeah except the vast majority of people have no idea how to actually be self-sufficient.. you know.. not relying on government for everything.. ability to farm, hunt, build things, not eat exclusively at Starbucks etc.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah except the vast majority of people have no idea how to actually be self-sufficient.. you know.. not relying on government for everything.. ability to farm, hunt, build things, not eat exclusively at Starbucks etc.

The biggest strength of humans are these wonderful brains of ours, and our collective ability to learn and adapt. It would take a generation or two to adjust, but humanity will be fine.

It's probably already too late, though. Too many chemicals in the air, water and soil and all that jazz, along with the forced quick evolution of viruses with all those antibiotics out there.

It would be interesting if some scientific minds did a long-term evolutionary extrapolation to make a prediction what the next dominant organism would be on the planet once humans are gone.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
There's a guy who has worked the last 60 years or so on an improved system for our planet so that everyone can live comfortably in harmony with the rest of life on earth and maintain environmental sustainability.
It's meant as an example of a direction that can be taken to avoid further destruction.

Has everyone already heard of Jacque Fresco and the Venus Project?
Curious if anyone's heard of better ideas for a complete working system.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The biggest strength of humans are these wonderful brains of ours, and our collective ability to learn and adapt. It would take a generation or two to adjust, but humanity will be fine.

It's probably already too late, though. Too many chemicals in the air, water and soil and all that jazz, along with the forced quick evolution of viruses with all those antibiotics out there.

It would be interesting if some scientific minds did a long-term evolutionary extrapolation to make a prediction what the next dominant organism would be on the planet once humans are gone.

crab-people.jpg

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Guyss, I'm on a movie watching rampage.

What's that movie where, there is this amercian (assuming) soldier and an arab (assuming) soldier, standing face to face in what it seems to be the mid-east, flat land not very much. The arab soldier said something about crossing a line or something and you're dead? It wasn't just any arab soldier, he seemed to be very well equipped if that helps the description.

I don't remember it exactly and the name of the movie, I've seen quite a few ads of it but not anymore. Been searching endlessly but can't find it. HALP.

Oh ya, and I'm finally in the reserves! YES! Did great on the test, now just medical and interview (about my results)

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Guyss, I'm on a movie watching rampage.

What's that movie where, there is this amercian (assuming) soldier and an arab (assuming) soldier, standing face to face in what it seems to be the mid-east, flat land not very much. The arab soldier said something about crossing a line or something and you're dead? It wasn't just any arab soldier, he seemed to be very well equipped if that helps the description.

I don't remember it exactly and the name of the movie, I've seen quite a few ads of it but not anymore. Been searching endlessly but can't find it. HALP.

Oh ya, and I'm finally in the reserves! YES! Did great on the test, now just medical and interview (about my results)

Lone Survivor??? maybe???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad