OT: Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where the RedBlacks won and it was a good day.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Just spent $20 for an additional 10 gigs of cap space. I ****ing hate Canadian internet.

Thats pretty expensive. I spent 5$ for 25 extra GB with Bell as I had to download Forza 5 (40GB) that came with my Xbox One.

Teksavvy. Geddit.

They just use Rogers infrastructure though.

I'll second the notion for Teksavvy, and they have both DSL and Cable options - but you still pay less than the Rogers/Bell... and at least with cable you get unlimited download between 2am and 8am -- set my PS3 and Steam to do all updates then :)
I probably use ~120GB a month with my Netflix habit.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Just spent $20 for an additional 10 gigs of cap space. I ****ing hate Canadian internet.

I'm sorry to hear this - unfortunately I also have unlim bandwidth and have t0rr3nt5 sharing 24/7 (mostly *nix distributions) and I use well over 500 GB per month.

Such a masterpiece. Still one of my top 5 of all time. Never before (or since) have I felt like I was in the middle of an 80's sci fi movie.

Even the "upbeat" tracks were haunting and atmospheric.

This user has one of the best walkthroughs of Super Metroid imho. Love watching it for the sheer ease with which he slices through each level and 100% completion:

Zelda, Crono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3(6), Mario Kart, Super C, MEtroid, NHL 94 . . . the list just goes on and on. THat was a great console.

Hell even the launch title was amazing.

I forgot about Chrono Trigger but I agree it was one game that had me hooked. Just the plot of some cute little girl-next-door being misdirected to a different time period and requiring a rescue gave me such a disturbed feeling that I thought about Chrono a lot. I know it would never happen but it just gave me such a scared feeling...sorry that sounds weird but Chrono was one of my fav's and imho one of the best RTS ever made.

Teksavvy. Geddit.

FYI when it comes streaming time all teksavvy users will be banned :)

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Ill take better internet over my tax money going towards non-Canadians.

How long does it take for you to wait for an internet page to load?

Would you cut that in half at the cost of someone else dying because of not having access to water simply because they were born on the other side of an imaginary line?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
How long does it take for you to wait for an internet page to load?

Would you cut that in half at the cost of someone else dying because of not having access to water simply because they were born on the other side of an imaginary line?
Its not my problem. I pay taxes to support Canada and its citizens. Not some randoms.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Its not my problem. I pay taxes to support Canada and its citizens. Not some randoms.

What makes someone you have never met and are not related to who lives in Vancouver more important than someone who lives in Afghanistan.

And what makes your impatience more important than another's life?

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
What makes someone you have never met and are not related to who lives in Vancouver more important than someone who lives in Afghanistan.

Interesting philiosophy - usually a utilitarian viewpoint. Peter Singer made a similar point using this analogy from Famine, Affluence, and Morality : if you walked by a child who fell into a hole would you help them? (Typically people say yes) So does it make any difference if that child is half way around the world? Would they deserve any less of your attention? (Singer doesnt think so).

Either way we are all wrapped in our own little lives with our own little issues that demand immediate attention. I dont think there's anything wrong with that, but it does set a precedent for how you would expect others to treat you in a time of need.

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I agree that everyone (including me) will to a large extent ignore that "child halfway around the world", for the simple fact that it is so far removed from our lives that it is easy to not think about it.

However that is not an excuse to be ignorant to the problems, and to not want society as a whole to try and solve them (which includes contributing if necessary).

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

The person in Vancouver pays taxes that help me out. The person in Afghanistan will have no impact on my life.

"what makes your impatience more important than another's life?"

This isn't how I see it. Theres a word or term for it but I cant remember it. Basically, its not that I dont care about the people, its that I dont see it as my responsibility.

Why aren't the Afghans donating money to help Canadians in poverty?

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I agree that everyone (including me) will to a large extent ignore that "child halfway around the world", for the simple fact that it is so far removed from our lives that it is easy to not think about it.

However that is not an excuse to be ignorant to the problems, and to not want society as a whole to try and solve them (which includes contributing if necessary).

Agreed - it's not an excuse, but it is generally how people run their lives. Sometimes I think of the money I spend following the Sens (GCL, tix, driving to BNG/OTT, hotel, etc) and I feel bad that I'm spending my life following this franchise when that passionate interest could be better invested in something much more humanitarian. Such as, oh I dunno, working in Indonesia?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The person in Vancouver pays taxes that help me out. The person in Afghanistan will have no impact on my life.

"what makes your impatience more important than another's life?"

This isn't how I see it. Theres a word or term for it but I cant remember it. Basically, its not that I dont care about the people, its that I dont see it as my responsibility.

Why aren't the Afghans donating money to help Canadians in poverty?

Ethics, caring for your fellow man, and thinking beyond selfish thought are all reasons to help (ie I'll only help people who help me)

Afghanistan has much more people living in poverty, and has much less wealth to help eliminate that poverty, provide drinking water to citizens, provide education etc. Not to mention the fact it is in a war right now.

Just because you were lucky enough to be born into the first world doesn't mean you are entitled to more than others

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
sask I think one of the biggest hurdles we face each day is most people work for corporations that are not driven by any of the values you mention. The operate only in the interests of what will increase their bottom line, and they expect us employees to follow suit and adopt this philosophy. In some cases increasing a company's bottom line could be masked by donations to charity, or relief aid to another country, but it's only done if it will give back some type of gain (i. e. shaping their public image to the customer).

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Agreed - it's not an excuse, but it is generally how people run their lives. Sometimes I think of the money I spend following the Sens (GCL, tix, driving to BNG/OTT, hotel, etc) and I feel bad that I'm spending my life following this franchise when that passionate interest could be better invested in something much more humanitarian. Such as, oh I dunno, working in Indonesia?

I think there is a balance between doing what you can do to help, but still enjoying life for yourself. In my opinion the biggest factors to having a fulfilling life would be to have personal happiness (which I am sure most of us get a lot from the Sens), have good personal relationships with people, and to be a decent human being towards others.

Although I probably don't give as much either

Lestor Pearson said that all developed countries to contribute 0.7% of their annual GNP in foreign aid to fight poverty. As of 2008 (most recent data I can find) only Sweden, Luxembourg, Norway, Denmark, and the Netherlands meet this mark. Canada is only at .32%

http://www.savethechildren.ca/document.doc?id=41

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
sask I think one of the biggest hurdles we face each day is most people work for corporations that are not driven by any of the values you mention. The operate only in the interests of what will increase their bottom line, and they expect us employees to follow suit and adopt this philosophy. In some cases increasing a company's bottom line could be masked by donations to charity, or relief aid to another country, but it's only done if it will give back some type of gain (i. e. shaping their public image to the customer).

I agree to some extent, but I also think that they have a bigger impact on people's attitudes not through the work place, but through the consumer/materialistic culture that we have created. People are bombarded with advertising all day for their entire life, and everybody starts to want things they don't need. The only way this system is sustainable is at the expense of others.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
True, and if you want to go even deeper I would propose that the currency-based society is a greater problem, and we should move to a resource-based society. I think removing humans' sense of entitlement would resolve a lot of issues. For example, I don't believe providing humans a source of currency income based on their work is wise; I think the exchange should not be money but it should be an allowance to get groceries from the grocery store, or to get gas from the gas station, or a house / place to live, etc. There are many problems with this - for example how do you fairly-provide a house to someone in Syracuse, NY when they could live in Monterey, CA and have a gorgeous house overlooking the pacific...obviously there would be some degree of dissatisfaction so it's not a perfect concept but imho it would be better than the current system of currency.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
I think there is a balance between doing what you can do to help, but still enjoying life for yourself. In my opinion the biggest factors to having a fulfilling life would be to have personal happiness (which I am sure most of us get a lot from the Sens), have good personal relationships with people, and to be a decent human being towards others.

Although I probably don't give as much either

Lestor Pearson said that all developed countries to contribute 0.7% of their annual GNP in foreign aid to fight poverty. As of 2008 (most recent data I can find) only Sweden, Luxembourg, Norway, Denmark, and the Netherlands meet this mark. Canada is only at .32%

http://www.savethechildren.ca/document.doc?id=41

This could mean a lot of things.

The problem with helping people who are in need all the way around the world is that, there is little most people can actually do, unless you're super rich. So much of our charitable contributions are often siphoned away into corporate pockets that it has little effect. Have you seen how much the President of United Way gets paid a year? I also think that countries should stop sending money in such lump sums, people need to learn how to fish. Less money, more teachers.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This could mean a lot of things.

The problem with helping people who are in need all the way around the world is that, there is little most people can actually do, unless you're super rich. So much of our charitable contributions are often siphoned away into corporate pockets that it has little effect. Have you seen how much the President of United Way gets paid a year? I also think that countries should stop sending money in such lump sums, people need to learn how to fish. Less money, more teachers.

No kidding.

When people on the phones trying to talk me into donating make more money per hour than I do....yeah, no chance. I may make more in a day than someone in a 3rd world country makes in a month, but the cost of my hydro bill per month is more than what they'll make in 2 years. When you look at basic living costs, the working poor in Canada aren't that much better off (aside from basic education and health).

And another thing....how about we stop poaching professionals from 3rd world countries? How the hell are these places supposed to grow and develop when we steal their engineers, doctors, teachers and the like? They spend the money to educate and train a handful of people (what little money they have) and instead of Canada investing in our educational system, we save money by poaching their professionals after those countries made the big investment on their best and brightest? Pretty sick thing to do when you think about it.

Oh....and another day, another plane lost from radar. WTF is happening in the airways?

The Fuhr*

Cost to end world hunger
30 billion a year

Cost to end world poverty
175 billion a year

USA military budget
495 billion a year

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

It's natural to want to help your fellow man.
Is the concern only extended as far as the human species or the overall health of our home? There are individuals of every species that are suffering/struggling. It can be easily argued that humans do more damage to the planet than any other species.

Where do priorities start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad