OT: Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where the RedBlacks won and it was a good day.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't really find them helpful to be honest. When you are fealing depressed you don't want to hear people blaming you (even if it is your fault). I am no where near depressed as I was in junior high, but if I am having a bad day and start to feel down it still sucks. One of my best friends even has to take anti-depressants and I know he hates it when his doctor tells him that everything will be better if he does x.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I don't really find them helpful to be honest. When you are fealing depressed you don't want to hear people blaming you (even if it is your fault). I am no where near depressed as I was in junior high, but if I am having a bad day and start to feel down it still sucks. One of my best friends even has to take anti-depressants and I know he hates it when his doctor tells him that everything will be better if he does x.

You sometimes have to separate things that are the truth and things that make you feel better. The truth is that there are always people out there who have succeeded in parts of life that you have struggled with. If you look at those people you'll find that they also feel down when they compare themselves with others. The reason is that when a person feels down they gravitate toward things that make them feel bad about themselves rather than their personal success stories. I don't know if that is just a part of the human condition, but I know it is true for people like me and a lot of others.

That is as honest as I can make it. I don't know you and I have no clue what makes you feel better, so you get honest instead from me every time. Even if I did know what makes you feel better I would probably go with honest 9/10 times because that is just how I'm put together.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE

No one is blaming you though. We have all had our lows and we have all had our highs. I suffer from depression and it was worse when I was young but I have developed a mind frame that attempts to think of the more positive things.

You just got to take everything one day at a time but put an effort in that it will be positive.

Last edited:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Yeah well, at some point you just gotta stop feeling sorry for yourself, let your britches fall and moon the rest of the world....to put it crudely.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That feeling gets worse as you get older, chum.

Definitely agree with that. Hitting 40 is hellish. I always thought Hollywood and sitcoms were overplaying the big 4-0....but damn, it hits you pretty heavy...especially int he age of social media when you can see all the incredible highlights that high school and childhood friends have done with their lives. Whoever coined the phrase 'ignorance is bliss' sure knew what they were talking about.

You just got to learn to accept what you've accomplished in life and stop comparing yourself to others. I'm 28 and there are 19 year old's coming straight out of high school driving 2015 trucks owning their own businesses while I'm working my ass off driving an older vehicle and trying to save nickles and dimes to get ahead.

Everyone has a different path in life, sometimes others get it served on a silver platter.

Amen. I was from a blue collar family who went to school int he suburbs, where practically all the kids got their own cars at 16. Only worries they had were if they had enough hairspray to keep those 80s hairdos in place, while I was worried if we could scrape together enough money to pay the hydro bills this month. Not much has changed over the years, either. Some people just end up with great lives.

Unbelievably sad, isn't it. I also studied that the same money that would help end world hunger is less than how much North America spends on PET FOOD. Another ridiculous one is PERFUMES.

****ing disgusting, man. I've been places, I've seen things. No one should deserve to be suffering starvation because of interest charges their government has on them over a hundred years ago.

We live in a better world my ****ing ass...

I've never understood this current trend of self-hate/loathing in North America.

Sure, our countries have messed up a lot (treatment of the Natives, treatment of the Asians during the building of the railway, etc)...but we've done a helluva lot right, too. Over a quarter of the first settlers died their first winter from disease and/or starvation, they cleared half a million acres worth of boulders by hand to create decent farmland, they spent generations working together to slowly build this country. Life was damned hard for well over a century...but, each generation made things a bit better, slowly.

It's something to be proud of. It may not be perfect, but it's a nice template for other countries to follow. And that's the key...people working together and slowly building a strong nation through generations.

Every country out there has amazing potential. The idea that we somehow have to play the role of provider, to me, is insulting. Yes, we can help build infrastructure and teach (which we have been doing for decades), but to act like these countries are full of children who need everything handed to them is false. That we somehow have to sacrifice all out luxuries to give, give, give so we can view ourselves as "good people"...wha? It's messed up. We don't give people in other countries enough credit.

Teach them to fish instead of handing out fish. The way it is now, all we're doing is giving resources to the warlords and making the overall situation worse. Build them up with education and tools, and within a few generations, they'll build their own first world nations.

Everyone is unique. Do something that makes you happy, and to hell what anyone says. Heck, I'm 40 and still play WoW, and don't care that others know it. I like walking around in my pjs and that's pretty much all I ever wear around the house, because it makes me happy. I love hockey and watch/talk about it all the time because it's awesome (even when my coworkers think I'm nuts...especially talking hockey in July).

The problem is Hollywood and society have conditioned us to think we need the big house, the 2 cars in the driveway, the white picket fence and trophy spouse to feel like we're successful. At the same time, the the 'new age' thinking (like I said earlier in this post) has us conditioned to feel guilty about having anything beyond the bare necessities. The whole mixed message is screwing up a lot of people. This idea that we have to feel so guilty and be personally responsible for every atrocity done in the history of the world simply because of where we life...it's insane.

Life is all about balance. Contribute to society by having a job (any job, no job is "better" than another...it's all about putting a roof over your head - that's the important part) and being reasonably lawful and a positive influence. At the same time, take the time to do things you enjoy. If you like watching hockey games and you have the cash to go to a game or two, then do it! Don't feel guilty about spending time/money on something you enjoy, because you deserve to be happy. If you enjoy the feeling of helping others, then do that too...but don't feel like you have to serve others 24/7.

Balance...it's all about balance.

...yikes...have a bit of writer's diarrhea happening with this post, lolz. ahhh, what the heck, write it out anyways

The Fuhr*

21. But I regularly meet people about my age or younger who have done more/are more successful in career, school, social life etc. It is pretty depressing

You are so young dude... I did not really begin to find myself until I was 27... When I was 19 my mom passed and I gained a coke addiction... I partied throughout my early 20's

Everything is starting to come together now at 29... When my gf is done school, look at getting married and buying a house.

At 21 you have so much in front of you...

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I feel fortunate that I have a good idea on what I want to do and where I want to go.

Makes every thing I do a bit more black and white (did this help you get to where you want to be, yes or no?), whether it's in a career or wheeling chicks, or losing weight, or in FIFA career mode.

The Fuhr*

I feel fortunate that I have a good idea on what I want to do and where I want to go.

Makes every thing I do a bit more black and white (did this help you get to where you want to be, yes or no?), whether it's in a career or wheeling chicks, or losing weight, or in FIFA career mode.

Ya, having goals and hitting them short, medium and long term certainly helped me turn things around and gives me purpose

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
oooh. Destiny beta available for everyone now! (or at least PS Plus)...
Gonna try it on PS3 to see what it's about this weekend.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
oooh. Destiny beta available for everyone now! (or at least PS Plus)...
Gonna try it on PS3 to see what it's about this weekend.

Was just about to post about it. It's available free on all platforms right now, the beta ends sometime sunday. If you play on saturday after 2p PST(5pm EST) you will get a permanent reward when the full game launches(if you get it). If you have time to "waste" download it and play it. I've already logged 30 hours since the 17th :laugh:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I've been enjoying the Destiny beta very much. Beautiful graphics (on next-gen at least), interesting story, awesome character customization, and great game-feel both in the way you character controls & the atmosphere/in-game world.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Also, there's an HF clan if you feel like joining it. Search "HFGeekEmporium"

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I look so damn good now

Man behind the mask. Condolences on the mom passing. Btw, we better not get negative AND cocky fuhr on these boards now... ;)

Does anyone else ever feel that they have done nothing with their life?

Kinda. Many times actually but at 21 it's not "oh man I've done nothing" rather "oh man I better do something."

In 9 years you can get your PHD and start a career, or do something you love that takes you placed and on the way you meet women of your dreams. By 30 that's fantastic. If 22 comes along and you've done nothing and then think of this again then 30 is gonna come by very quick and nothing would have changed.

Get a move on. Attend clubs in your uni/college and build network. Start reading more books and attending library workshops to become better writer. Go to the gym and start working out for that outside shot at becoming an athlete somewhere.

Btw, hit me up about that depressing talk if you want. I got some stuff that'll blow you out of the water if you think you're depressed. To each their own man. Everyone fights their battles but you gotta be strong. Be a man and realize you're able to express these thoughts on the internet instead of running to protect your family from bombs or savaging dump sites for bread crumbs.

Reality check, you can be somebody big if you look at the positives instead of the negatives. Especially in your position, i'll help you out if you wish. Or anyone else for that matter.

I've never understood this current trend of self-hate/loathing in North America.

Sure, our countries have messed up a lot (treatment of the Natives, treatment of the Asians during the building of the railway, etc)...but we've done a helluva lot right, too. Over a quarter of the first settlers died their first winter from disease and/or starvation, they cleared half a million acres worth of boulders by hand to create decent farmland, they spent generations working together to slowly build this country. Life was damned hard for well over a century...but, each generation made things a bit better, slowly.

It's something to be proud of. It may not be perfect, but it's a nice template for other countries to follow. And that's the key...people working together and slowly building a strong nation through generations.

Every country out there has amazing potential. The idea that we somehow have to play the role of provider, to me, is insulting. Yes, we can help build infrastructure and teach (which we have been doing for decades), but to act like these countries are full of children who need everything handed to them is false. That we somehow have to sacrifice all out luxuries to give, give, give so we can view ourselves as "good people"...wha? It's messed up. We don't give people in other countries enough credit.

Teach them to fish instead of handing out fish. The way it is now, all we're doing is giving resources to the warlords and making the overall situation worse. Build them up with education and tools, and within a few generations, they'll build their own first world nations.

It ain't self-hate, bruv. I ain't blaming none of this on North American countries, rather this defected ideology. I'm blaming it at lack of importance for human empathy. Human sympathy seems to be decreasing by the day. Everything is become "me me me me me"

A celeb who parties every single day with beautiful women is a million times more popular than a celeb who spends his time helping impoverished people.

I think this steams back to what Main was alluding to. Work, school etc... the environments nowadays teach to push, grab and shove your way to power and status without consequence on who's life you've just ruined along the way.

We have people who are broke and starving here in Canada and in other first world nations. Such a damn shame, bro.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Man behind the mask. Condolences on the mom passing. Btw, we better not get negative AND cocky fuhr on these boards now... ;)

Kinda. Many times actually but at 21 it's not "oh man I've done nothing" rather "oh man I better do something."

In 9 years you can get your PHD and start a career, or do something you love that takes you placed and on the way you meet women of your dreams. By 30 that's fantastic. If 22 comes along and you've done nothing and then think of this again then 30 is gonna come by very quick and nothing would have changed.

Get a move on. Attend clubs in your uni/college and build network. Start reading more books and attending library workshops to become better writer. Go to the gym and start working out for that outside shot at becoming an athlete somewhere.

Btw, hit me up about that depressing talk if you want. I got some stuff that'll blow you out of the water if you think you're depressed. To each their own man. Everyone fights their battles but you gotta be strong. Be a man and realize you're able to express these thoughts on the internet instead of running to protect your family from bombs or savaging dump sites for bread crumbs.

Reality check, you can be somebody big if you look at the positives instead of the negatives. Especially in your position, i'll help you out if you wish. Or anyone else for that matter.

It ain't self-hate, bruv. I ain't blaming none of this on North American countries, rather this defected ideology. I'm blaming it at lack of importance for human empathy. Human sympathy seems to be decreasing by the day. Everything is become "me me me me me"

A celeb who parties every single day with beautiful women is a million times more popular than a celeb who spends his time helping impoverished people.

I think this steams back to what Main was alluding to. Work, school etc... the environments nowadays teach to push, grab and shove your way to power and status without consequence on who's life you've just ruined along the way.

We have people who are broke and starving here in Canada and in other first world nations. Such a damn shame, bro.

Reading this I couldn't help but think of George Grant's, Lament for a Nation, in which he argues that if Canada is to continue to exist as a distinct nation it must avoid the rampant individualism of the United States. I'm not saying the US is bad, but we all have become pretty self-centered and like you said, I think the competitive nature of school, work, and life in general gives us the false impression that if someone is poor it is because they deserve to be poor.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

You know, it's funny. One of the problems I see at times, are young people with too much empathy. They're told so often about how awful people are to eat meat, consumer resources, live in a home (by taking away land the animals "owned") etc...that causes a lot of problems.

Kids have gotten to sensitive to everything happening that I truly wonder if many of them will be able to get through life without having a nervous breakdown. I see it with some of the kids I work with...they worry about so much and donate to causes when they can barely pay their rent and often don't even have enough groceries for the week for themselves...I don't know how these kids are going to survive long-term. They're just being used by everyone.

Advertisers and other manipulators have learned that guilt is one of the most powerful weapons in the human arsenal. Guilt people into buying products (You must buy this dish soap because we use a tiny fraction of our profits to clean waterfowl! You have to buy this product, we have 'organic' or 'green' in the title!). Guilt people into changing their lifestyle and habits. Guilt people into willingly giving up their rights. Guilt people into accepting less than what they deserve.

It's funny you mention celebrities. Those are some of the biggest manipulators. They like to act like 'regular Joes,' while telling everyone else to give, give, give. The money celebs donate returns to them tenfold in the form of tax breaks, additional career opportunities, free publicity, and new fans who buy their products. Heck, if every celeb in Hollywood only kept 10 mil of their net worth and donated the rest....that alone would solve world hunger. Warren Buffet himself could solve world hunger, world poverty, and give the children of the world free education through high school, and still have millions left over. Yet, the 1% club still points the finger at the regular Joes and shames us into donating our pennies.

I'm telling ya, it's Animal Farm on this planet. Sweet-talking pigs getting the rest of us peons to volunteer to become slaves thinking we're helping the farm, when in reality we're just making things easier for the pigs.

It's great to have empathy...but too much empathy is just as bad as no empathy. Balance...all about balance.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Does anyone else ever feel that they have done nothing with their life?

That feeling hit me HARD when I hit 29: I've spend all of my 20's partying and continually lost my friends because I kept moving around

It was a very, very difficult year for me: kicked the bad habits and let go of some dear friends that were very closely associated to the bad habits

The best advice I can give is, if you feel like that now (I think you said you around 20-22 years old right?) then you need to do something about it and it starts with looking inward: if you often feel depressed stop drinking and exercise more, come up with project and, this is the important part, see them through. This should help you meet more people because one of the most important things in life is spending time with people you enjoy and finding people you truly enjoy spending time with (not people you like doing things you enjoy with, that's different) is critical to being happy.

It's all anecdotal but my feelings of "I've wasted my life" come from not pushing myself in a lot of areas of my life and it became a habit, I got by by doing the minimum and eventually I had to face the reality of it: I have wasted my life so far and I need to get back on track fast. The hardest was letting go of the anger that came along with the realization: I kept thinking that if I could get back on track I could let go of the anger but the truth was I had to let go of the anger first and most of that battle was with time.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
21. But I regularly meet people about my age or younger who have done more/are more successful in career, school, social life etc. It is pretty depressing

I am twice your age.

Tell me about your career, school, social etc...and I can give you an honest opinion from an outsider's perspective.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Saw Book of Mormon last night, was not disappointed. Hasa Diga Eebowai

I want to see that one of these days. Hear nothing but good about it.

I've seen We Will Rock You (West End), Spamalot (Toronto), and Les Miserables (Kitchener Centre in the Square a long time ago :D)... enjoyed the experience every time.

Figure one day I'll go see something on Broadway just to knock it off the list too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad