OT: Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where the RedBlacks won and it was a good day.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not talking just about money. And I'm not talking about living in a bubble and not helping those around you.

I'm talking about the manipulation by the elites towards the rest of us, using guilt (among other things) to keep us where we are.

The problems of poverty, lack of education and medical care are easily solvable. There's more than enough money & resources out there. The elites simply don't want to lose their grip of power & wealth.

Now obviously the things you suggested, by helping others directly, is the best way to go. I don't see anyone out there not helping their neighbors in need.

You should read Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals sometime

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I saw the play. How were they pro Mormon?

They pretty much made fun of the religion the entire time. "oh it's written on gold plates but you're the only one who can read them" scene was evidence of that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They make fun of everything, it's their schtick

You ought to watch the South Park Episode "All About Mormons" to better see how they feel about Mormons

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Trying Destiny now on ps3....
So far not impressed, call me a snob but this needs to be on PC.

Controls are crap for a shooter.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Alright, I'll bite. What did you not like? (Personally I loved Reach)
Im assuming Bungie is going for Halo with a slightly different look. So thats what im judging the game on.

No weapon on the map spawn. (People spawning with a sniper :facepalm:)

All the different abilities. Abilities ruin the basics of Halo multiplayer.

Health. Not just pure shields(with a tiny bit of health).

The two maps ive seen are brutal. Reach maps were god awful. Copy paste from campaign.

Just too many small features or things added. Taking away from what Halo is.

Theres just lots of small stuff I notice. Hard to explain.

Looks like the target audience is casuals. Nothing in the gameplay supports the best part of Halo - competitiveness, teamplay, wit and strategic gameplay.

Hopefully the main part is good. Kinda looks like a game that will be boring after a month, though. Its basically just Halo + borderlands. Bleh.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The end of that episode should be the clincher. Poignant and hilarious.

The ending is what makes it. THat was a brilliant episode, the way they go in one direction the entire time then bring it around completely at the end.

It's kinda how I look at some of that as well. Sure it's silly, but if believing in something gives substance to someone's life and contributes to making it better, how is that not a good thing?

Just don't push it on people, or attack those who believe differently.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Seems many are familiar with MMO's and these big multiplayer platform so I'll give this a go:

I am an absolutely enormous Star Wars KOTOR 1/2 fan. HUGE. I know almost every phrase and beat the game hundreds of times. Only game I've really actually beat, lol(cause i never got bored).

When I heard Old Republic was out as MMO for PC I was devastated and completely abandoned the thought of playing it again. However, recently my friend brought it up as must play and that playing on PC is just as cool and the story is amazing etc...

I unno what my question is really, anyone else play it and the console games? Thoughts? Should i make the switch to PC to try out the game? What about graphics and speed/lag etc...

Thanks in advance.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
The ending is what makes it. THat was a brilliant episode, the way they go in one direction the entire time then bring it around completely at the end.

It's kinda how I look at some of that as well. Sure it's silly, but if believing in something gives substance to someone's life and contributes to making it better, how is that not a good thing?

Just don't push it on people, or attack those who believe differently.

Well said.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You should read Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals sometime

Took a brief look at the wiki synopsis of the book and this Nietzsche fellow. It must've been a longer night at work than I thought, but all that ramble on the page was barley comprehensible to me this morning.

All I got was this guy hates religion (except perhaps Buddhism)...I'll agree with that. Religion has caused so much crap the past 2k years, it's not worth it. John Lennon had it right...Imagine a world without religion.

The rest of it, I have no clue.

Most of my main ramblings came from posts that Saskriders and MaindotC. Saskriders talked about feeling like he was going nowhere in his life, and that helpless feeling like he isn't doing enough to help others, while MaindotC was talking about feeling guilt about spending money on hockey when there's needy people out there. That's what drove me nuts.

To think the younger people out there today would feel like every problem in the world is their responsibility - having the weight of the world on their shoulders - and if they can't wave a magic wand and fix everything that somehow they failed. Or feeling guilty about enjoying something as simple as a freaking hockey game.

I mean, come on...most of us posting on here aren't millionaires, we can't magically fix everything (or even an infinitely small fraction of ills in the world) on our own. We put celebs and athletes on a pedestal when they're living in the lap of luxury....and we're supposed to feel guilty about watching a hockey game once in a while? Or buying a video game?

Life is hard enough already without adding the weight of the world on your shoulders. It just isn't right for the kids out there to put themselves through that.

....and I'd better stop before another novella develops :facepalm:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
prog·ress
noun
noun: progress
ˈprägrəs,ˈprägˌres,ˈprōˌgres/

forward or onward movement toward a destination.
"the darkness did not stop my progress"
synonyms: forward movement, advance, going, progression, headway, passage More
"boulders made progress difficult"
advance or development toward a better, more complete, or more modern condition.
"we are making progress toward equal rights"
synonyms: development, advance, advancement, headway, step(s) forward; More
improvement, betterment, growth
"scientific progress"
Britisharchaic
a state journey or official tour, especially by royalty.
plural noun: progresses

verb
verb: progress; 3rd person present: progresses; past tense: progressed; past participle: progressed; gerund or present participle: progressing
prəˈgres/

move forward or onward in space or time.
"as the century progressed, the quality of telescopes improved"
synonyms: go, make one's way, move, move forward, go forward, proceed, advance, go on, continue, make headway, work one's way More
"they progressed slowly down the road"
advance or develop toward a better, more complete, or more modern state.
"work on the pond is progressing"
synonyms: develop, make progress, advance, make headway, take steps forward, move on, get on, gain ground; More
improve, get better, come on, come along, make strides;
thrive, prosper, blossom, flourish;
informalbe getting there
"the school has progressed rapidly"
antonyms: regress
Astrology
calculate the position of (a planet) or of all the planets and coordinates of (a chart) according to the technique of progression.

Origin
late Middle English (as a noun): from Latin progressus ‘an advance,’ from the verb progredi, from pro- ‘forward’ + gradi ‘to walk.’

Are we making progress?
What are we progressing towards?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Seems many are familiar with MMO's and these big multiplayer platform so I'll give this a go:

I am an absolutely enormous Star Wars KOTOR 1/2 fan. HUGE. I know almost every phrase and beat the game hundreds of times. Only game I've really actually beat, lol(cause i never got bored).

When I heard Old Republic was out as MMO for PC I was devastated and completely abandoned the thought of playing it again. However, recently my friend brought it up as must play and that playing on PC is just as cool and the story is amazing etc...

I unno what my question is really, anyone else play it and the console games? Thoughts? Should i make the switch to PC to try out the game? What about graphics and speed/lag etc...

Thanks in advance.

The MMO sucks from what ive heard. Its free to play if you want to try it.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Thanks in advance.

I've heard that SWTOR is great as a single player game (ie just following the main 'character' storyline) but a terrible MMO. I've never had any interest in playing it though, and I liked KOTOR. For most PC games these days, as long as you have a reasonably built one in the last few years - you can play basically anything at decent graphics settings.

Requirements for PC games have stalled because developers have been trying to make everything cross platform so they have to keep things down to a level where PS3/X360 will play at - so that's meant that PC gamers haven't had a real impetus to have to upgrade in a long while. Even PS4/XBone aren't forcing any real upgrades yet. A few PC exclusive games in the making (ie Star Citizen) may provide that if you want to play at ultra settings, but other than that... it's been a rather boring time for PC builders.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton

Thanks in advance.

Definitely give it a try. I played the first two games many, many times and I've enoying The Old Republic.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
My family in Texas is literally breeding a football player.

An average 8 year old boy weighs around 50-60lbs and is 4' tall.

He is 4'11 (edit) and 108lbs.

Last edited:

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Took a brief look at the wiki synopsis of the book and this Nietzsche fellow. It must've been a longer night at work than I thought, but all that ramble on the page was barley comprehensible to me this morning.

All I got was this guy hates religion (except perhaps Buddhism)...I'll agree with that. Religion has caused so much crap the past 2k years, it's not worth it. John Lennon had it right...Imagine a world without religion.

The rest of it, I have no clue.

Most of my main ramblings came from posts that Saskriders and MaindotC. Saskriders talked about feeling like he was going nowhere in his life, and that helpless feeling like he isn't doing enough to help others, while MaindotC was talking about feeling guilt about spending money on hockey when there's needy people out there. That's what drove me nuts.

To think the younger people out there today would feel like every problem in the world is their responsibility - having the weight of the world on their shoulders - and if they can't wave a magic wand and fix everything that somehow they failed. Or feeling guilty about enjoying something as simple as a freaking hockey game.

I mean, come on...most of us posting on here aren't millionaires, we can't magically fix everything (or even an infinitely small fraction of ills in the world) on our own. We put celebs and athletes on a pedestal when they're living in the lap of luxury....and we're supposed to feel guilty about watching a hockey game once in a while? Or buying a video game?

Life is hard enough already without adding the weight of the world on your shoulders. It just isn't right for the kids out there to put themselves through that.

....and I'd better stop before another novella develops :facepalm:

Of course, one could argue that religion has also been the source for a crap load of good the past 2k years as well. I think it all depends on how one views it.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Jeezus.

Are his parents like, massively tall/athletic?

That's the thing. His dad (my uncle) is 5'11 and probably 190? His mom is 5'5 and not athletic.

BUT they literally raise their children to be the most stereotypical texans ever. Daughter is going into senior year of high school and is the captain of the Cheerleaders and son is a beast of a football player playing in a division for older kids. I actually love it so much, I'm hoping to live with them next year and do an internship in Houston.

But yeah, everything is bigger in Texas. My mom orders off the kids menu when she goes to visit.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I, too, have seen this. It is pretty crazy, I saw a pack of 6th graders at a county fair that could probably enter the next NFL draft.

Yeah, it's a whole different world down there. Friday night is high school football, Saturday is full day of tailgating and college ball, and Sunday is tailgating and NFL. It's crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad