• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Morata possibly injured because of a pitch invader. The stadium security at this tournament has been embarrassing. This has been a glaring problem ever since Portugal vs Turkey, and they still haven't dealt with it.
There's no fence...not much you can do about it other than run after them and try to catch them. Morata actually got hurt by a steward trying to catch the pitch invader. I think the reason it got out of control at this tournament is that in a few instances pitch invaders managed to get good selfies with players, so literally every chump thinking he can get a 100k hits on his Insta 'like that' is gonna run on the pitch.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I know people keep saying Spain are favorites, and that’s not to say anyone discounted France prior to today’s match, but as we’ve other sides can compete with them. That said I they’re still the best performing team this tournament and very deserved finalists.

Good match today, especially that first half hour. I missed the first ten minutes, which for this match is saying quite a bit, but saw the highlights. In the end I think Spain were the better side and deserved the win, but it was close.

What can you say about Yamal? The kid is clearly talented, but still seems to me to be notably further ahead than where I expected him to be say a year ago. As good as that goal was, I think for me the biggest part of it was the timing and the stage. To score that goal to bring your team back in a Euro Semifinal against France is huge for any player. But for a 16 year-old kid? Amazing. Add to that his miss in the second half, which while it’s wasn’t on goal, it also wasn’t that far off. People talk about Mbappe’s miss, but Yamal in the position when he put it just off goal is a position I wouldn’t be surprised to see him score in. And he did well to stop a counter when he got booked late on. This kid is the real deal and I just hope he stays healthy.

I’ll touch on him in response to another post, but Olmo has done really well for Spain. His goal was really well taken and I’m glad to see it wasn’t taken away as an own goal.

Mbappe seems to be getting some schtick, but to be fair to him I think the whole nose thing threw off his tournament. That said, and I heard something where a doctor came on and said it wasn’t even necessary, I think the whole mask thing affected his play. Anyway, as far as this match goes, while I can see him scoring it, I think a bit much has been made of his match late on. Also, I think his assist on France’s goal was fantastic, but Mbappe makes it look easy and that sort of ball is something that he can play but doesn’t get credit for generally. He’ll probably be motivated to have a big first season for Madrid.

I enjoyed the duel between NIco Williams and Kounde. I think they pushed each other to the limit and both played well, but Kounde stood out for me. Even when Williams nutmegged him at one point, Kounde recovered and Williams couldn’t get to the ball. Kounde for me had a very good match. Can’t wait to see them squaring off again in Barca’s preseason training sessions.

If anyone wants to blame Kounde for the goal, have a look at Olmo’s touch to beat the player on him at the time. That player was Tchouameni and while I won’t have a real go at him because of the skill of Olmo’s play, I feel as though getting beaten like that would get called out were it another player. Also, while they don’t have the exact same profile, Camavinga and Tchouameni can occupy the same position. Yet Touchameni seems to be preferred by both Deschamps and Ancelotti, yet Camavinga for me is clearly the better player and puts in better performances more consistently. If Camavinga had half a brain he’d immediately declare for Catalunya, ask for a wage cut and ask to be transferred to Barca. Anyway, Camavinga was immediately involved in the match after coming on and seeing him I just have to wonder why he hasn’t played more.

Sticking with France, it really strike me a few times that one of the most advanced players was… Kante. I thought Barcola looked good when he came on. Also think that again you can see Dembele’s skill, but some of his balls were wanting and I still get the feeling he can’t impose himself in a big match.

Gotta wonder why a player like that is playing for stupid Leipzig

Probably because he keeps signing new contracts. I think he’d jump at the chance to move back to Barca, but I doubt it happens. Reminds me of Bernardo Silva. Apparently wants to leave, but then signs a new contract and is surprised when it’s difficult to get his move.

We almost had twice the xG.

Meh. Still not a fan of xG. I’m not saying it’s a useless stat, but it uses fractions and goals aren’t score in fractions. You also see different sources with different xGs.

Yes I agree.
As I said Yamal's strike was the difference.
Which is a miracle strike.

If I recall correctly you said in a different post in this thread (too lazy to dig for it) that it was a once in a year goal from Yamal. Keep watching him. He’s scored goals like this before on multiple occasions. I think we’ll see more of this during his career.

@luiginb You mentioned Spain’s absences for this match. Way, way, way too much has been made of that on this forum. Spain’s CBs today are as good as those who missed the match. Olmo is actually better than Pedri based on how De La Fuente wanted them to play. That just leaves Carvajal who I will give you, but that’s really just one player.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If anyone wants to blame Kounde for the goal, have a look at Olmo’s touch to beat the player on him at the time. That player was Tchouameni and while I won’t have a real go at him because of the skill of Olmo’s play, I feel as though getting beaten like that would get called out were it another player. Also, while they don’t have the exact same profile, Camavinga and Tchouameni can occupy the same position. Yet Touchameni seems to be preferred by both Deschamps and Ancelotti, yet Camavinga for me is clearly the better player and puts in better performances more consistently. If Camavinga had half a brain he’d immediately declare for Catalunya, ask for a wage cut and ask to be transferred to Barca. Anyway, Camavinga was immediately involved in the match after coming on and seeing him I just have to wonder why he hasn’t played more.
I was thinking about blaming the defenders but after watching the play over and over, I think those were just incredible plays.

It was for some reason not mentioned here but I just saw the play where Nacho shoved Kolo Muani's head into the ground. That's disgusting. I'd love to see him eat a headbutt for that.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
@luiginb You mentioned Spain’s absences for this match. Way, way, way too much has been made of that on this forum. Spain’s CBs today are as good as those who missed the match. Olmo is actually better than Pedri based on how De La Fuente wanted them to play. That just leaves Carvajal who I will give you, but that’s really just one player.
Don't forget Gavi :D

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I was thinking about blaming the defenders but after watching the play over and over, I think those were just incredible plays.

It was for some reason not mentioned here but I just saw the play where Nacho shoved Kolo Muani's head into the ground. That's disgusting. I'd love to see him eat a headbutt for that.
Yeah Olmo made a great play which is why I didn't blame Tchou. Nor Kounde.
Rabiot is more to blame on the Yamal goal because of the space and time he had.

Yes Nacho should have been booked. But you know same crappy "it's early" stuff.

Don't forget Gavi :D
Lucas and Pogba were missing. And Nkunku.

Last edited:

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
The stronger team won, which interpreted the match much better with more ideas and more courage. For the rest, those who won rejoice, and those who lost, as usual, explain and justify.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think it's pretty clear he looks gassed.
Not sure how it's gutless to say he is tired and needs to rest well to come back stronger?
He had a 10 point lead in the league, and I’m pretty certain there was a few games he missed because of his contract. He didn’t make the final in the CL. He also missed a group stage game. Claiming he’s gassed at this stage of his career and making it an excuse is unbecoming.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
He had a 10 point lead in the league, and I’m pretty certain there was a few games he missed because of his contract. He didn’t make the final in the CL. He also missed a group stage game. Claiming he’s gassed at this stage of his career and making it an excuse is unbecoming.
Did you even watch the interview?

He basically said he had a bad Euro and that he needed to be better. Also said that now he gets to rest and get ready for a new chapter of his life also saying he had a lot of work ahead of him.

I would argue that most of his fatigue was probably mental and not necessarily physical.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

He basically said he had a bad Euro and that he needed to be better. Also said that now he gets to rest and get ready for a new chapter of his life also saying he had a lot of work ahead of him.

I would argue that most of his fatigue was probably mental and not necessarily physical.
That’s fine but saying he’s tired and that’s why he sucked is pretty awful. That’s what I responded to.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This Spain team has been a blast to watch, really happy they pulled it off yesterday…despite still being a little salty that we didn’t start Wirtz against them :laugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
We're not counting retired players. I'll give you Nkunku but he's not a starter for you guys.
He would have started obviously given Griez's form.
Lucas is obviously starting (instead of Upa).
And Pogba was not retired.

Weird to make a fuss about this.

That’s fine but saying he’s tired and that’s why he sucked is pretty awful. That’s what I responded to.
Never what he said.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
2018 and 2022, Mbappé was dominant. Both performance, IMO, being better than any of Messi's WC performances.

In terms of overall level/career, yeah, it is Messi by a mile and a half.
You missed 2014 and no Messi was better in 2022. 2018 Performance by Mbappe is highly overrated he killed an Argentina team that was his highlight of the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad