OT: Fishing Thread

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
You can catch smallies all day long on Shoe Lake but nothing of real size. Not consistently anyway.
There's much bigger smallies too be had in Manitoba and not much more of a drive than Shoe.
Enquiring minds need to know more details!

Lots of 12-15. Every trip we get at least one 19+. The wagering is first fish, biggest smallie, most small mouth, largest walleye. Jigging in the undulating 7-10 feet way at the back cliff face by site 6 used to be golden, but not lots left after a group went in there with huge nets and cleaned em out.

Walleye are rare now, but small mouth are more fun. 37 is most I have pulled in a day.
Our best was 72 between two of us in one day. Can’t remember what the split was. All I remember is that I was ahead. lol.
About 6 years back.

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
We were at Shoe last Sunday and pulled in over 150 with only 2 of them being Walters. Super small but fun. The drive in always is a bit on the rough side.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We were at Shoe last Sunday and pulled in over 150 with only 2 of them being Walters. Super small but fun. The drive in always is a bit on the rough side.
A great part of the province that isn't too far away and offers excellent hunting, fishing, boating, camping, hiking, etc...
Nopoiming Lodge has some great cabins as well.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
A great part of the province that isn't too far away and offers excellent hunting, fishing, boating, camping, hiking, etc...
Nopoiming Lodge has some great cabins as well.
We got upgraded last year and got this one for 160 a night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240725_144410_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20240725_144410_Photo Editor.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 4

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I love it, I like the trees around it
More than what we needed to be honest.
Two if us hunting grouse for 5 days.
A bedroom, a sauna and hot tub that went unused as well as outside fire pit and lakefront access.
The fridge kept the beer really cold and the stove fried up some great ruffed grouse meals.
Nice to have a big screened in area to go and have a puff, too.
Taking the boat this fall and going a bit earlier.

Reactions: Buffdog

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
More than what we needed to be honest.
Two if us hunting grouse for 5 days.
A bedroom, a sauna and hot tub that went unused as well as outside fire pit and lakefront access.
The fridge kept the beer really cold and the stove fried up some great ruffed grouse meals.
Nice to have a big screened in area to go and have a puff, too.
Taking the boat this fall and going a bit earlier.
I haven't hunted grouse TBH since I was about 14, they taste great though. I remember just using a .22 to shoot them in the head and no damage the meat. They're not the smartest birds. :)

Reactions: 10Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I haven't hunted grouse TBH since I was about 14, they taste great though. I remember just using a .22 to shoot them in the head and no damage the meat. They're not the smartest birds. :)
I bought a .22 magnum but I can't hold the cross hairs as still as I used to.
I will say that the ground squirrels on my property have taken a beating.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I bought a .22 magnum but I can't hold the cross hairs as still as I used to.
I will say that the ground squirrels on my property have taken a beating.

Haha, I remember as a young child, my mom & I used to offer farmers for us to rid them of their gopher problems in their fields (horses & cows can hurt themselves in the holes). My mom was the shooter (.22) and I was the spotter (always had better then 20/20 vision, till I was about 50). Farmer paid my mom per gopher she shot. My parents were poor, they both worked and hunted to put money/meat on the table. My dad often took me fox hunting for the furs to sell, again he was the shooter, I was the spotter. My deal with both of them was I would do it as long as they had me home in time to watch Sesame Street.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
My son wants to go camping and fishing. Wont have a boat for this trip. Last year, did Black Lake - but the shore fishing was pretty much non-existant and we hiked so much looking for different spots.

Anyone have suggestions to somewhere we can pitch a tent, have a fire, and walk to access shore lines that have a chance at producing some fish for us? I was thinking of trying Rushing River area this year?

Would love a suggestion or three for potential good spots for this agenda?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad