HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
If the cost isn't high to acquire him, it is an advantage for Montreal if he is on IR to begin the season. It allows the team to get close to the cap without using Price's LTIR in the offseason and then have the Price money available once the season starts to activate Laine.

Reactions: Garry Valk

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
1722012770787.png

Reactions: Habs10Habs

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
- Public trade request
- 8.7M for 2 more years
- NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance Program
- Still recovering from shoulder surgery

Hope Jackets fans have realistic expectations on the return.

I agree, I don’t think the cost to acquire Laine will be as much as some posters believe here. Add in a lot of teams don’t have cap space at this point in the offseason and Laine didn’t have a great season when he played last year, which included being a healthy scratch for a game.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Can someone explain to me why the Jackets would even rush a Laine trade? His value is at an all-time low and it's not like they don't have room to play him in the top 6 to regain trade value. It also seems strange that they are apparently extremely opposed to retaining salary on a 2 year contract when they got over 17 million in cap space and all 3 retention slots.

Reactions: SnapVirus

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Can someone explain to me why the Jackets would even rush a Laine trade? His value is at an all-time low and it's not like they don't have room to play him in the top 6 to regain trade value. It also seems strange that they are apparently extremely opposed to retaining salary on a 2 year contract when they got over 17 million in cap space and all 3 retention slots.
Who said rush, I just want KH to make the call and start asking is all

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
When the reason revolves around mental health, and the player has requested a trade... the only thing you can do is honour the request.
As long as CBJ gets a prospect in return theyll be fine.

Reactions: morhilane

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Add this to the list of items that will, at least IMO, hurt their ability to maximize his value in a trade.

This smells like a B level + 2nd round pick + useful NHL roster player type of deal.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Laine asked for a trade to get a fresh start elsewhere after resolving his problems that got him on the program and CJB management aggreed with him. So while there is no rush to trade him in the next few days, it should be done before the new season start.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
When the reason revolves around mental health, and the player has requested a trade... the only thing you can do is honour the request.
As long as CBJ gets a prospect in return theyll be fine.

Laine asked for a trade to get a fresh start elsewhere after resolving his problems that got him on the program and CJB management aggreed with him. So while there is no rush to trade him in the next few days, it should be done before the new season start.
Sure, but he's still under contract, and at a very expensive one. If they don't receive anything for him without retention/taking back bad contracts, then Laine should agree to terminate his contract if he wants out.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So he can have talks now but I didn't know he had shoulder surgery this offseason. Kind of throws another wrench into his trade situation.

I'd offer a 2nd rounder and maybe a B prospect.....that's it.

I see this as the potential opportunity to dump Anderson by taking on Laine's full cap.

Laine for Anderson, Mesar and PIT 2nd. Do it Waddell. :naughty:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Sure, but he's still under contract, and at a very expensive one. If they don't receive anything for him without retention/taking back bad contracts, then Laine should agree to terminate his contract if he wants out.

The blue jackets have a ton of cap space. Getting back an asset for Laine even if it means retaining or taking back a contract is much more beneficial than getting nothing.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Craig Button, a well-known TSN analyst, recently made a major statement about Matheson's current value. According to him, interest in the defenseman on the trade market is very high, and he is even harassing Kent Hughes for his services.
This could be beneficial for the Canadiens if the GM decides to maximize Matheson's value now.
However, Button also believes that young prospects like Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher are not yet ready to take on leading roles, so trading Matheson this summer may not be the best strategy.
This situation highlights Matheson's importance to the team, both on the ice and as a potential asset on the trade market.​

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Craig Button, a well-known TSN analyst, recently made a major statement about Matheson's current value. According to him, interest in the defenseman on the trade market is very high, and he is even harassing Kent Hughes for his services.
This could be beneficial for the Canadiens if the GM decides to maximize Matheson's value now.
However, Button also believes that young prospects like Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher are not yet ready to take on leading roles, so trading Matheson this summer may not be the best strategy.
This situation highlights Matheson's importance to the team, both on the ice and as a potential asset on the trade market.​
Habs have enough LHDs with NHL experience that they can trade Matheson away and still have Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher in the AHL next season...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The blue jackets have a ton of cap space. Getting back an asset for Laine even if it means retaining or taking back a contract is much more beneficial than getting nothing.
So far, all the reports say they have zero interest in retaining or taking back cap dumps. Of course, I still think they have to, but based on the reports they don't want to.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Where does that come from?

Who is harrassing Kent Hugues?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad