Euro: Semifinals - England v. The Netherlands - July 10

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
to the 3 brits on here, it aint coming home champ.

Some of the Brits won't like that, they'll want England to lose.

but realistically we can't lose, we either win the tournament or get rid of Southgate it's a win either way

------

Edit: Shaw on for Trippier, if Shaw could play 45 minutes then he should have played the first 45, because now if he breaks down we don't have a replacement.

Reactions: Evilo

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So do you think as a 24 year old he thought "this is just how it works at this level" and decided to just go along with it? I mean it's a basic fundamental question of ethics. I know multiple people who know the referee who fixed the matches outside football and the common take is that he's a sleazeball and windbag. I'm not saying Zwayer should go to prison for it, I'm saying he may have already shown his hand with regard to lacking the level of integrity, judgment and strength of personality that you'd like to see in a referee at the top level.
What he thought I can not say. The facts are that he started his refereeing career in 2004, in May shortly after his 23rd birthday was a linesman at a match that turned out to be fixed and received 300 euros from the referee. In January 2005 joined three senior referees in reporting the perpetrators to the authorities. Got himself banned for 6 months for accepting that 300 euros and not reporting it immediately. He was not accused of improper refereeing decisions.

One can find his role problematic, but just as well that lifetime consequences for something like that would be excessive.

Reactions: maclean

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not sure why you’d yank Malen, but Koeman is Koeman. With Veeman’s passing range I’d have dropped him back and taken of Schouten or Reijnders instead.
Think he is probably in the “Veerman and Schouten play together for PSV so it must be good camp”

Malen was better than Gakpo but Koeman hates him too.
Gakpo just isn’t in the game at all. They are ignoring that side of the pitch. Gakpo probably has less than a dozen touches

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I’d like to know how many proggressive passes Rice has made in this tournament in total.

• Haha
Reactions: Power Man

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
What he thought I can not say. The facts are that he started his refereeing career in 2004, in May shortly after his 23rd birthday was a linesman at a match that turned out to be fixed and received 300 euros from the referee. In January 2005 joined three senior referees in reporting the perpetrators to the authorities. Got himself banned for 6 months for accepting that 300 euros and not reporting it immediately. He was not accused of improper refereeing decisions.

One can find his role problematic, but just as well that lifetime consequences for something like that would be excessive.
The investigation found:
  • Felix Zwayer behaved in a "grossly anti-sporting" manner.
  • "It can be assumed that Felix Zwayer did not object to Robert Hoyzer's first recruitment attempt in the manner expected of an honest referee and did not accept the money."
  • Zwayer "did not report Robert Hoyzer's match-fixing, of which he was aware, to the DFB over a longer period of time."
  • Before the match between SV Wuppertal and Werder Bremen Amateure in May 2004, Zwayer accepted 300 euros from Hoyzer in order to "avoid critical situations for Wuppertaler SV as an assistant referee".
He literally took a bribe that was given to him before the match with the explicit purpose of fixing a match. Just because they couldn't directly identify any intentionally wrong calls he made doesn't make it any less absurd.

Reactions: luiginb and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
extremely funny when the joke "southgate is fuming bc england are looking good going forward" turns out to be true
av2.jpg

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I still remember fondly when slab head scored a goal with Azpilicueta in a headlock like that and it was called a good goal. I guess they don't allow that at the Euros.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The investigation found:
  • Felix Zwayer behaved in a "grossly anti-sporting" manner.
  • "It can be assumed that Felix Zwayer did not object to Robert Hoyzer's first recruitment attempt in the manner expected of an honest referee and did not accept the money."
  • Zwayer "did not report Robert Hoyzer's match-fixing, of which he was aware, to the DFB over a longer period of time."
  • Before the match between SV Wuppertal and Werder Bremen Amateure in May 2004, Zwayer accepted 300 euros from Hoyzer in order to "avoid critical situations for Wuppertaler SV as an assistant referee".
He literally took a bribe that was given to him before the match with the explicit purpose of fixing a match. Just because they couldn't directly identify any intentionally wrong calls he made doesn't make it any less absurd.
Should he have acted differently when it happened? Sure. But again, it was one of his first games as a linesman and the situation not what you can be prepared for. Got six months for it which is fair, can't really see why it should be lifetime. If you want to be that harsh then by all means.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Bellingham on a yellow, he'll need to stop diving now in case he gets a booking for that.

Ad

Ad

Ad