Euro: Semifinals - England v. The Netherlands - July 10

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Is embellishment not a rule? Literally pathetic watching these guys act the way they do at the slightest hint of aggression.
Sort of. The rules specify a yellow for unsporting behavior if the player "attempts to deceive the referee, e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled"

It's essentially never given for the feigning injury part though.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
England look fine in the final third, but they still struggle to get the ball there. They need one of their attackers to drop into midfield when they have the ball. They haven't figured this out in any of their matches. I think Bellingham instinctively knows this, but the Dutch are also shadowing him specifically, so that makes it harder for him.

The Dutch meanwhile really struggle with anything other than counter attacks, but if I was an English fan I'd be bricking it every time they get the ball in numbers up field.

It's kind of the story of this tournament..there's 6-8 teams that can do some stuff well, but every single one of them has a deficit of note. Football-wise this might be one of the most forgettable tournaments I remember.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Would the game benefit a little from not calling offside so closely? What do you think? So many goals have been called off because a guy was a fraction offside. I am not really a huge soccer fan, so I wonder what the bigger soccer fans here think.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Would the game benefit a little from not calling offside so closely? What do you think? So many goals have been called off because a guy was a fraction offside. I am not really a huge soccer fan, so I wonder what the bigger soccer fans here think.
I saw so many bad offside calls before VAR that I appreciate them calling them correctly.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Uhh, I'm pretty sure "don't take bribes to fix games" is a basic part of all referee training so it seems weird to say he couldn't be prepared for it.
You can't be prepared for the main referee to be the one fixing games and then have to go against that person with no authority of your own as a rookie.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I saw so many bad offside calls before VAR that I appreciate them calling them correctly.
The problem with VAR is the ridiculous amount of time it takes to make a decision, and inaccuracy when humans are drawing the lines.

A well calibrated automated offside system works fine, when we don't have to spend 5 minutes waiting to hear if a goal stands or not.

Reactions: gary69

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't know how the automated offside system works but those decisions have been infinitely better this tournament than watching people draw lines on a still image from a terrible angle.

Reactions: gary69

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The Dutch look dangerous as hell on all these set pieces. If the Dutch get 5 more of them, I'm almost certain they'll score on one. If I was England, I'd really want that 2nd goal in the next 5 minutes.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
So VVD is captain, has the right to complain about a bad call but gets a yellow.
I like the concept of the rule, but there have been about a dozen instances in this game (and others) of players crowding the referee and complaining in his face, only to be allowed to do it.

Then the yellow cards come out of nowhere late in the game.

Reactions: Evilo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad