Euro: Semifinals - England v. The Netherlands - July 10

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Holy shit if this is true then how the eff does this dude still have a job refing these games? Dude should be refing little league games.
Because he was one of the whistleblowers (heh) uncovering the whole thing. Allegedly he had received 300€ from the main perpetrator as the linesman of one of the affected matches which is likely why he knew about the fixing to start with.

Reactions: Sad People

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Because he was one of the whistleblowers (heh) uncovering the whole thing. Allegedly he had received 300€ from the main perpetrator as the linesman of one of the affected matches which is likely why he knew about the fixing to start with.
He wasn't a whistleblower..he only came forward when he knew others were blowing the whistle. He's more accurately described as a 'cooperating witness'. No-one really knows how deeply he was actually involved in it, but the fact he sat on the knowledge of the matches being fixed for a pretty long time period and did nothing looks shady as hell. He should absolutely not be officiating high level games.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Germany - Spain was the final for me. France hasn’t been great this tournament.

I think Germany gave Spain their toughest match and played them better than France did…but at the same time I think in a vacuum France are far more talented than Germany and if the 2 played tomorrow on a neutral field I’d pick France without thinking twice. Germany overachieved a bit in that Spain match IMO most likely with the added boost of being hosts, and still it wasn’t enough.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He wasn't a whistleblower..he only came forward when he knew others were blowing the whistle. He's more accurately described as a 'cooperating witness'. No-one really knows how deeply he was actually involved in it, but the fact he sat on the knowledge of the matches being fixed for a pretty long time period and did nothing looks shady as hell. He should absolutely not be officiating high level games.
He was a 24-year-old linesman with some months of experience going against established referees.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The Dutch cannot even distribute the ball in the midfield. Just going long up the middle....

This is some pre 2019 CanMNT shit.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Its been particularly bad this tournament which is why hes been annoying me a bit. He wasnt really like this during league play.
I don't watch European football so I was quite conflicted, based on the reports I've heard of him. An impossibly skilled Englishman who just sort of floats about the pitch and controls the ball at will. I thought I was going to hate watching someone like that in an England shirt. Turns out he's the whiniest diver imaginable and as easy to hate as the rest of them. Good.

Reactions: luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I really couldnt agree more. Doesnt help with the integrity of the game at all, especially when theres corruption all over
Once you get to a certain level you don't even want to take free food because of how it looks. I'm a referee in two sports and I know a bunch of people who work for the NBA and WNBA who told me this. So the idea of someone taking money and still getting to ref is just something else.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Once you get to a certain level you don't even want to take free food because of how it looks. I'm a referee in two sports and I know a bunch of people who work for the NBA and WNBA who told me this. So the idea of someone taking money and still getting to ref is just something else.
It's not like this official was in a situation where impropriety could be inferred or assumed either. He was literally caught participating in match fixing for money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad