TSN: Sekeres says Canucks are no longer being considered by Lucic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Source:
I think Lucic was out of Vancouver simply because of how they treated him. I remember him saying he was done with Vancouver one game after allegedly being constantly harassed at a night club, or something like that?

Of the remaining teams, Dallas and Edmonton. It's been speculated Dallas will not make a significant offer. It's speculative, sure - but how many teams inquire on a player but don't actually go out to meet him for reasons other than the price? You don't think if Lucic wanted 1M X 5, more teams would meet him?

I don't think those fan incidents mattered at all or else why would he even bother to talk to the Canucks?

I don't think it is between Edm and Dal. There were lots of suitors and just because some are less publicized doesn't mean they are not significant. I will say that by pure odds, even if Edm is the most likely destination odds are he won't be here.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
i don't think those fan incidents mattered at all or else why would he even bother to talk to the canucks?

i don't think it is between edm and dal. There were lots of suitors and just because some are less publicized doesn't mean they are not significant. I will say that by pure odds, even if edm is the most likely destination odds are he won't be here.

Well, he lives in Vancouver - so he wasn't going out of his way to meet them or anything.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I know it's a pipe dream but why can't Canucks pocket the cap space suck another year get a high draft pick again next year. Then go big game hunting for Benn and Hedman 10 per x 7 next off season. Damn only if I was GM. Back to reality hello Ladd probably now 6 per for 5. Another band aid solution to keep us just mediocre enough to not get a top pick next season.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Holy smokes, I hope this bidding goes down to the wire and someone gives him 7X7. Sorry Jim, you lose. Well actually, you sorta win, that is a terrible contract.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Source:
I think Lucic was out of Vancouver simply because of how they treated him. I remember him saying he was done with Vancouver one game after allegedly being constantly harassed at a night club, or something like that?

Of the remaining teams, Dallas and Edmonton. It's been speculated Dallas will not make a significant offer. It's speculative, sure - but how many teams inquire on a player but don't actually go out to meet him for reasons other than the price? You don't think if Lucic wanted 1M X 5, more teams would meet him?

I'm sure a lot don't go out an meet face to face during the Courting period. GM's are often working the phones on trades and inquiring on multiple players for the upcoming free agency that i would be impossible to go meet face to face with all of them.

Honestly it would make sense why Dallas wouldn't make a significant offer, they have some other glaring holes that they need to fill and I thought their top 6 was more than set.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I know it's a pipe dream but why can't Canucks pocket the cap space suck another year get a high draft pick again next year. Then go big game hunting for Benn and Hedman 10 per x 7 next off season. Damn only if I was GM. Back to reality hello Ladd probably now 6 per for 5. Another band aid solution to keep us just mediocre enough to not get a top pick next season.

Lol probably because its unlikely that Benn and Hedman ever make it to free agency. I'd expect both to be locked up this summer.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

A few reasons:

1.) They lose money if they aren't competitive.
2.) Ownership probably says to make the team competitive for the former reason.
3.) If the team is not competitive, the GM/coach's jobs are on the line. Sure, long-term it may be beneficial for the organization, but why do you care if you're fired for finishing bottom 5 for 2 consecutive years?

Unless ownership/teams/fans are all on board with a rebuild, it isn't possible. I don't think ownership is on board. You can't really do anything as a GM if your owner says I want to be competitive and make money.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
to be honest with you i really don't see him signing with edmonton at this point in his career contrary to popular belief just not in his best interest
Well his camp has confirmed that Vancouver is definitely not ever going to happen. Why hasn't he confirmed that the Oilers aren't in his best interest? Let me guess; he's playing the market? Well thats a pile of B.S. because then he wouldn't cancel out the Canucks

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
to be honest with you i really don't see him signing with edmonton at this point in his career contrary to popular belief just not in his best interest

We'll see. Its been rumoured he wants to stay close to home after the passing of his father. He's going to get a pretty good payday here and his agent Gerry also lives here. There's a lot of connections that make sense here with his connection to Chia, the potential upswing of this team and getting to play with McDavid, and the new arena.

I know a lot of people like to downplay the McDavid and new arena factor, but many of the insiders believe them to be factors, and they certainly were when Drake Caggiula changed his tune towards Edmonton and signed here after visiting the arena and was apparently amazed with the facility.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm going to go ahead and predict (and hope), that the Oilers are offering the least amount of money and/or term to Lucic. I'm basing this on the fact that we brought him to the new arena, we have McDavid, the Chia connection, and a veteran coach, and now we've even improved the defense and made a spot for him. We also have a clear outlook at our future cap and likely could have outlined the consequences to him of him being too huge a hit.

MacKenzie did say we could be a hot ticket for some players. That Custance guy (sp?) said it was a done deal, but maybe what he really knew was that Lucic preferred coming here, but maybe Milan's trying to push up the dollars and term on what we're offering by checking these other teams out.

What's really making me think this is that we just aren't a team that has extra cap space laying around anymore. If he signed for two years, then sure, cap wouldn't matter, but the long term outlook is more than clear. We just can't have all that money on the wing anymore, and we can't risk having a dead cap hit like the Brown deal that's hurting LA.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I never believed they were even a reality. The team has nothing but money to offer. Other teams have that plus a chance at winning.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Lol probably because its unlikely that Benn and Hedman ever make it to free agency. I'd expect both to be locked up this summer.

Benn and Hedman will leave money on table if they sign next off season for sure but your probably right.

A few reasons:

1.) They lose money if they aren't competitive.
2.) Ownership probably says to make the team competitive for the former reason.
3.) If the team is not competitive, the GM/coach's jobs are on the line. Sure, long-term it may be beneficial for the organization, but why do you care if you're fired for finishing bottom 5 for 2 consecutive years?

Unless ownership/teams/fans are all on board with a rebuild, it isn't possible. I don't think ownership is on board. You can't really do anything as a GM if your owner says I want to be competitive and make money.

Ownership here is stupid they'd rather a few million every year if possible rather then a whole lotta millions if we rebuild properly and have sustained success. Wish we had richer owners I guess.

Positive Vibes

im just here to argue
Jun 24, 2016
Depths of Hell
Well his camp has confirmed that Vancouver is definitely not ever going to happen. Why hasn't he confirmed that the Oilers aren't in his best interest? Let me guess; he's playing the market? Well thats a pile of B.S. because then he wouldn't cancel out the Canucks

hes in win now mode man thats pretty obivious canucks aren't and oilers arent eithier yet anyway he hasn't flat out said no to the oilers because of Mcdavid just don't see a fit there if he truly wants a cup and not just the pay day id say he would sign with a legit cup contender elsewhere.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
thank god. Stay away from Vancouver. Never wanted him in the 1st place.

Prefer in the East, but as long as he's not Vancouver Canucks' i'm totally cool with that.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
My nightmare scenario was Hall being traded out of desperation for a mediocre package including a RH D and that Lucic would be given some god-awful $7Mx7 year boat anchor of a contract. We're now half way there and I am certain Chiarelli is bone-headed enough to go through with the second.

Positive Vibes

im just here to argue
Jun 24, 2016
Depths of Hell
We'll see. Its been rumoured he wants to stay close to home after the passing of his father. He's going to get a pretty good payday here and his agent Gerry also lives here. There's a lot of connections that make sense here with his connection to Chia, the potential upswing of this team and getting to play with McDavid, and the new arena.

I know a lot of people like to downplay the McDavid and new arena factor, but many of the insiders believe them to be factors, and they certainly were when Drake Caggiula changed his tune towards Edmonton and signed here after visiting the arena and was apparently amazed with the facility.
First off isn't Chia the one who traded him?again not saying that i love lucic or anything but i think the habs are one of the 2 left (Oilers are the other) attempting to sign him since the nucks are out and i dont see dallas putting up the money it would take to get him,

I agree with you about the new arena and the mcdavid factor play A HUGE part his his decision but again lucic wants another cup and oilers arent quite the team for him but we will have to wait and see i suppose.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
First off isn't Chia the one who traded him?again not saying that i love lucic or anything but i think the habs are one of the 2 left (Oilers are the other) attempting to sign him since the nucks are out and i dont see dallas putting up the money it would take to get him,

I agree with you about the new arena and the mcdavid factor play A HUGE part his his decision but again lucic wants another cup and oilers arent quite the team for him but we will have to wait and see i suppose.

No Chia did not trade him, he was traded at the Connor McDavid draft when Chia was already the Oilers GM. I'd be fairly surprised if he signed with MTL after all that drama in the playoffs, and I don't think MTL is exactly a contender at this point either.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

... Seriously? Are they seriously usin an arena as a selling point? My gosh, but anyways! Please, I do want him to be on the Oilers that way, he can improve that in hopes of stopping them from stock piling high picks.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Wait until he signs 5x5.5-6.
Just like last year when the Oilers were rumoured to be getting the best UFA on the market the same trolls in here were saying "haha 7x7m because the Oilers have to pay" "they'll never be able to re-sign McDavid because of Sekera" and so on :laugh:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Wait until he signs 5x5.5-6.
Just like last year when the Oilers were rumoured to be getting the best UFA on the market the same trolls in here were saying "haha 7x7m because the Oilers have to pay" "they'll never be able to re-sign McDavid because of Sekera" and so on :laugh:

He would have just stayed in LA if he only gets 5 years in edmonton.. the whole reason he didn't sign tjere is cause LA wouldn't offer 7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad