Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
The only issue I had today was the play call on 4th down. Every time you have 4th and 1 or less just line up Josh under center with Knox behind him and push. I remember reading over the summer that they did the math on a QB sneak with a yard or less and it was something like a 83% conversion rate.
i think the conversation rate is even higher than that tbh

Reactions: oldgoalie

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
agreed on the 3rd and 10 screen, that was the only true head scratcher to me. it wasn’t too egregious…. but just call a slant at that point

the end around to harty was the only other one, but maybe that just fits into the ‘lack of execution’ category. i remember it getting blown up basically right off the ball cause there were no blockers up field on the weak side. had me saying, like, is this just designed to not block for the ball carrier? lol
Dorsey's done well for the most part, but he seems to have stuck Harty into the McKenzie/Hines "gadget player who mostly gets touches at/behind the line of scrimmage" box when he's much more of a vertical threat and can be viable as a depth WR

Reactions: brian_griffin

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I did not expect to see the amount of Leslie Frazier defenders on Reddit/Twitter today that I have encountered.

McDermott, while multi-tasking, has been so much better already. Reminds me of the 2014-2016 Panthers that would just smell blood in the water and blitz over and over. When Miller comes back this team is going to be a wagon on that front.

Reactions: K8fool

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Wow... miami hype train has left the station. I love it, I want them to come to Orchard Park thinking no one could stop them.

Judging biggest overreactions for NFL Week 3​

The Dolphins will set the NFL single-season scoring record this season​

So the first question, of course, is what that record is. It is 606, set by Peyton Manning and the 2013 Broncos. The 2023 Dolphins are on pace for 737 points, which would of course annihilate that mark. Now, teams only played 16 games in a season back then, and they now play 17, so we need to adjust a little bit to account for that. But at their current pace, the Dolphins would only need 15 games to break that record.

The record for points per game by a team in a single season is 38.8, set by the 1950 Rams. The Dolphins are currently averaging 43.3.

Verdict: NOT AN OVERREACTION

We've been saying since the summer, "If Tua can stay healthy, the Dolphins could be great." That has always been a big "if" because he never has, playing in just 13 games in both of his two full seasons as the team's starter. But things look so good right now that you have to imagine this is possible.

Geez, I mean, look back at the math again. The Dolphins have a pretty solid margin for error here. If Tagovailoa does stay healthy, who's going to stop this offense? They did all of this Sunday without receiver Jaylen Waddle, who's in the concussion protocol.

At this point, the better question about the Dolphins is this: If they're the last unbeaten team standing and they finally do lose a game, do the surviving members of the 1972 Dolphins still drink champagne?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I did not expect to see the amount of Leslie Frazier defenders on Reddit/Twitter today that I have encountered.

McDermott, while multi-tasking, has been so much better already. Reminds me of the 2014-2016 Panthers that would just smell blood in the water and blitz over and over. When Miller comes back this team is going to be a wagon on that front.
It is too soon to tell about McD and this year's D because they haven't had to play a top QB outside of 4 snaps vs the Jets.

The D has looked great the last two games and I am interested to see what they can do against the Phins O that just lit up Denver. But, going against Tua and company, Mahomes, Burrow, and others that they have on the schedule later in the year will give us a much better idea of how good this D is.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Credit to Dorsey as well. He seems to have been scheming a lot of help for the O-Line, at least he did last week. We'll see what the analysis shows this week. As much as some of the play calls invite criticism, the game plans seem to be working, with the exception of Allen simply not executing in the second half of the Jets game.
Allen making better decisions is making Dorsey look better.

There will always be a few play calls per game that fans go WTF. The 4th down play calls and almost overfeeding Diggs the ball are the only two nitpicks I have for Dorsey at this point.

The key for the offense will be mostly about Allen making good decisions and not taking unneeded risks. If they do that, they will be a tough team to beat as they are strong in all three phases of the game.

Reactions: brian_griffin

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
It is too soon to tell about McD and this year's D because they haven't had to play a top QB outside of 4 snaps vs the Jets.

The D has looked great the last two games and I am interested to see what they can do against the Phins O that just lit up Denver. But, going against Tua and company, Mahomes, Burrow, and others that they have on the schedule later in the year will give us a much better idea of how good this D is.

I wouldn't dismiss those four snaps with Rogers. It was the constant pressure, after all, that contributed to his being out for the remainder of the season. He wasn't out there picking the Bills apart, and then the achilles went catawampus all on its own.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Bills gave up 16/10/3 only logical conclusion is they shut out Miami and injure Tua. At the rate the Bills seem to injure QB's, they are now overdue to hurt one.
After what happened last season, the football gods are definitely making it up to the Bills if they knock Tua out of the game on Sunday.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The knock on Tremaine Edmunds throughout his five seasons as the Buffalo Bills’ mammoth middle linebacker was that he didn’t deliver enough splash plays.

Terrel Bernard could have entered rain-drenched FedExField off a 10-meter diving platform Sunday afternoon. And the Washington Commanders might as well have left some pool noodles and inflatables for him to enjoy while he was at it.

Bernard turned in one of the splashiest defensive performances in NFL history, propelling Buffalo on a 37-3 boat race.

“Crazy,” Bills linebacker Matt Milano said of Bernard’s display.

“The kid’s special, man,” defensive tackle DaQuan Jones said.

In a soaking rain from Tropical Storm Ophelia’s vestiges, Bernard frolicked — to Commanders quarterback Sam Howell’s dismay.

Bernard’s first quarter was rare in Bills history with two sacks and an interception. The only Bills to accomplish that feat over an entire game were Cornelius Bennett in 1989 and Jerry Hughes (all in the fourth quarter) three years ago.

If TB can stay healthy, Beane is going to look really smart for letting Edmunds walk.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

If TB can stay healthy, Beane is going to look really smart for letting Edmunds walk.
I ended up thinking Edmunds was generally fine for the Bills, and his length provided a big help in dissuading QBs from testing the middle of the field, but it's nuts that TB's already matched his season highs in INTs and sacks through 3 games.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I ended up thinking Edmunds was generally fine for the Bills, and his length provided a big help in dissuading QBs from testing the middle of the field, but it's nuts that TB's already matched his season highs in INTs and sacks through 3 games.
They are definitely leaning into TB's strengths just like they leaned into Edmunds's strengths.

Edmunds and his length allowing him to be so disruptive covering the short to intermediate middle of the field in zone coverage led them to not use him on blitzes as much as they will use TB to rush the passer.

But, TB getting a couple of INTs early has been the more eye popping thing. I also love the reports that he is a high energy "bring the juice" kind of guy, too.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
So going into the season I was hoping the Bills would get better LB play this season with the change of philosophy at Edmunds' spot. How are people warming up to Terrel Bernard? He was a bit of a surprise starter right? He was a 2022 3rd round pick.

Dorian Williams, their 3rd round pick from this year, is playing as a backup, correct?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
my biggest impression so far is

1. How well the defensive line is playing. Best I’ve seen it under McDermott
2. How the bills have dominated time of possession. They are currently 3rd at 35+ minutes a game

I don’t think the blueprint has changed much vs Miami. Jam at the line, disrupt Tuas first read, don’t give him a clean pocket.

Combine that with a strong run game and keeping Miami off the field. I don’t think you can eliminate all miamis big plays…but you can certainly limit them.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Credit to Dorsey as well. He seems to have been scheming a lot of help for the O-Line, at least he did last week. We'll see what the analysis shows this week. As much as some of the play calls invite criticism, the game plans seem to be working, with the exception of Allen simply not executing in the second half of the Jets game.
Well, the Bills scored 37, so what I'm about to say doesn't make all that much sense, but I wasn't so impressed by the offense. They got A LOT of help from the defense. I'm not sure if it is Allen, or the OC, or what, but they just don't seem to be an offense that is all that difficult to stop.

But maybe I'm asking too much. They seem to be an inconsistent offense.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Well, the Bills scored 37, so what I'm about to say doesn't make all that much sense, but I wasn't so impressed by the offense. They got a
A LOT of help from the defense. I'm not sure if it is Allen, or the OC, or what, but they just don't seem to be an offense that is all that difficult to stop.

The Bills have punted twice through two games.

For being an offense that's easy to stop, that's not a lot of stops.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well, the Bills scored 37, so what I'm about to say doesn't make all that much sense, but I wasn't so impressed by the offense. They got A LOT of help from the defense. I'm not sure if it is Allen, or the OC, or what, but they just don't seem to be an offense that is all that difficult to stop.

The offense has put up 68 points over the past two games with 2 punts and 1 turnover.

I don't know how that is an inconsistent offense.

:laugh:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

Wash is a good team , bills are getting contributions from youth and beane additions but mainly from McD. Impressive w lots of upside on both sides of ball. I hope von doesn't return til he confidently dominates in practice on turf. Tre may have finally turned a difficult corner after many more months than expected. This isn't about winning as much as the effort and breakthroughs and winning battles which we've seen alot, we saw against a very good team iin Wash w results. We seem put people in situations they can handle. I only worry about outside manipulation of this team.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
The Bills have punted twice through two games.

For being an offense that's easy to stop, that's not a lot of stops.

The offense has put up 68 points over the past two games with 2 punts and 1 turnover.

I don't know how that is an inconsistent offense.

:laugh:

Yeah, maybe I was counting FGs as stops. You guys are probably right.

It's nice to see James Cook thriving. Hope that continues and some of the other RBs have some big games too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad