Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Ultimately, when it comes down to it, Mahomes is just a little bit better than Allen.

The Chiefs are just a little bit better than the Bills.

We're like the Utah Jazz of the 1990s except the Chicago Bulls play in our conference and Mahomes isn't going to go on hiatus to play baseball.

So the New York Knicks of the 90's 😉

Who I was also unfortunately a fan of

Mahomes isn’t Jordan and KC is not as dominant a team as the Bulls. Allen can go toe to toe against Mahomes.

The 13 second game was the coaching staff and last nights game was a combination of having too many injuries on D, our 1WR playing like ass and our 2WR on the sideline.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Not just that. Reid is a better coach than McD. I think if Allen were on the Chiefs and Mahomes on the Bills- the results would be similar.

That's not a shot at McDermott, either. Reid is an elite head coach. One of the best offensive minds ever, and he's paired with Mahomes. McDermott is solid with potential for more. I think his moment will come if he ever has a healthy defense in January. He's been churning out talent on that side of the ball.
It does feel like in each of the playoff games against KC the Bills were outcoached.

I wonder how different things would be if Daboll was still the OC.

Since he left, the passing game hasn't looked as potent. It seemed like he was able to scheme guys open more often.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

SwordStanley10

Sep 16, 2009
Toronto
Mahomes isn’t Jordan and KC is not as dominant a team as the Bulls. Allen can go toe to toe against Mahomes.

The 13 second game was the coaching staff and last nights game was a combination of having too many injuries on D, our 1WR playing like ass and our 2WR on the sideline.
So we did everything right but lost anyways...how can anyone ever trust this franchise? Even when they come back from 6-6, some injury curse like this years made sure it was all for naught....

Reactions: kirby11

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

My wife loves snappy answers to different questions but she's seen the ugly truth on this bs that started there as we are hackable like the skinny lil turd said but not foolproof

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Ultimately, when it comes down to it, Mahomes is just a little bit better than Allen.

The Chiefs are just a little bit better than the Bills.

We're like the Utah Jazz of the 1990s except the Chicago Bulls play in our conference and Mahomes isn't going to go on hiatus to play baseball.
Decided to have some fun messing w heartbroken w a total trigger statement. Its espn steven a and orlovsky nick feeling insecure today and tellin the nose growing ones eh

You are nearly a laugh but really a crime

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It does feel like in each of the playoff games against KC the Bills were outcoached.

I wonder how different things would be if Daboll was still the OC.

Since he left, the passing game hasn't looked as potent. It seemed like he was able to scheme guys open more often.
Towards the end of his time here, that ability to scheme guys open went away as well. It’s one of the biggest reasons why I wanted him gone at the time. Sadly, Buffalo has yet to increase their level of playcalling since.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Towards the end of his time here, that ability to scheme guys open went away as well. It’s one of the biggest reasons why I wanted him gone at the time. Sadly, Buffalo has yet to increase their level of playcalling since.
Fans who do not watch a ton of all-22 video overestimate how often OCs are able to "scheme guys wide open" in today's NFL.

Exhibit A is Miami the past two years.

They have a top offensive mind calling plays. They have insane amounts of speedy playmakers everywhere. Yet, they weren't running roughshod over quality defenses week in and week out.

Most times guys get wide open, it is a blown coverage. And NFL defenses do not blow coverage as much as college defenses do.

If you look at the All-22 from Sunday, KC did a great job of taking away everything 10 yards+ from the LOS.

And when they did get Diggs on a safety, Diggs didn't make the play that he gets paid to make.

Trading or cutting Diggs is doable if Beane dedicates the organization to a hard reset. See below.

That means eating money in 2024 and moving on from there. He'd have to move on from White, Hines, Harty, Poyer, Neal, and Doyle, and re-structure Allen, Milano, Oliver, Knox, McGovern, and Bates.

Then he'd have to fill the roster with draft picks (see below) and veteran minimum players. Think Beasley and Brown type additions to the practice squad last season. Nothing huge, just filling out a roster.

If Beane does that, that saves $44M of 2025 cap space, plus whatever the re-structures eat up. That's also not including space that a rising cap brings.

So it's doable, but it requires an organizational commitment.

Whether Beane does it, that's another conversation.
I doubt they go with a roster reset until they make the decision to move on from McD. And that is not happening this offseason.

Plus, your "hard reset" leaves them with 37 players signed and $5M in cap space to fill out 16 roster spots (That 48 player roster number is not accurate with 11 futures guys counted in there for $0 contracts). And even that 37 number is inflated because it has guys on void years, like Leonard Floyd, accounted for in that roster.

That is not possible, even with vet minimum guys and guys on rookie deals.

Last edited:

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
One of these players "can't get the job done" in the post-season. Wanna guess which one it is?

Player M: 16 GS, 285 PY/G, 38 PTD, 7 INT; 27 RY/G, 5 RTD

Player A: 10 GS, 272 PY/G, 21 PTD, 4 INT; 56 RY/G, 5 RTD

Player B: 7 GS, 261 PY/G, 9 PTD, 4 INT; 14 RY/G, 1 RTD

Player J: 5 GS, 210 PY/G, 5 PTD, 5INT; 93 RY/G, 3 RTD

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Special teams was also ass partially because Martin still appeared injured. A couple bad punts probably influenced McDs decision on the fake. It was the perfect recipe for a loss, and we still ended up with a chance to win it. That's what burns. We'll get our shot again (and probably a bunch more times).

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I feel like we could find a Morse replacement in the second-round. But then you have to dedicate the first to defense, because there's simply too much in flux on that side of the ball not to afford them a premium asset. And that's another year where we don't go WR (in a year where it could really pay off.)
I get where this is coming from, but I'd rather invest more into the offense considering (a) how often McD and co. have been able to coach up early to mid day 2 guys and even later picks, UDFAs, and low-priority free agents and (b) the defense turns into Swiss cheese whenever they face a good team in the playoffs. Willing to give them a bit more of a pass this year with all the injuries, but the fact that they haven't once prevented Mahomes from playing above an MVP level based on EPA in three tries is embarrassing. I'm not even asking for them to replicate what the Bengals did in 2021, just to not get shredded to the extent they have.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
So we did everything right but lost anyways...how can anyone ever trust this franchise? Even when they come back from 6-6, some injury curse like this years made sure it was all for naught....
Im sure this is tongue and cheek, but KC lost a superbowl due to their entire o line being out. The Knights missed the playoffs two years ago due to injuries, then won the cup the next year.

It happens at times. A lot of teams lose big games due to injuries. It just doesn't get talked about because it's viewed as 'making excuses'.

It's just unlucky it happened two seasons in a row to Buffalo's defense. McD will have a healthy defense one of these years, and if it's next year, they can absolutely make a run. Bernard, Milano, Douglas, Oliver, and Benford is a hell of a core to start with. Just have to draft well and find the Leonard Floyd deals in FA, and we'll be good.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Honestly, the easiest layup is sitting right out there. Sign Belichick.

The Pats were not good this year, but their defense played balls out. We have twice the roster that they do.

I love what McDermott has done. But...if you want to win a championship, we likely need to go to the next level.

Reactions: JLewyB

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

The Pats were not good this year, but their defense played balls out. We have twice the roster that they do.

I love what McDermott has done. But...if you want to win a championship, we likely need to go to the next level.
Heh, if he doesnt want GM control- I wouldn't hate it, but the lockerroom loves McD and with BBs age- how many years are we getting out of him?

Doesn't matter, though, bc I think Pegula and Beane are all-in on McD, which Im fine with.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Heh, if he doesnt want GM control- I wouldn't hate it, but the lockerroom loves McD and with BBs age- how many years are we getting out of him?

Doesn't matter, though, bc I think Pegula and Beane are all-in on McD, which Im fine with.

I am just seeing parallels to the 2002 Bucaneers.

Dungy was a great coach. Turned the franchise around.

Didn't have much playoff success.

Tampa bay went out and got Gruden, and won a superbowl.

The greatest playoff coach of all time is sitting out there. The guy who is a perfect strategy and attention to details guy, something we lack.

Our special teams under Belichick will be outstanding. Our defense will be outstanding. We have a setup with an outstanding run game and two tight ends.

The talent is here. The setup is here. We can't go out and get a game breaking WR with our draft position.

I love McDermott....but there is a clear option here to push us to the next level. McDermott will get signed immediately to be a coach elsewhere. And he will probably will a championship somewhere eventually. But....our window is closing. It's time to go and get the greatest ever to do it to push us over the edge.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Hard pass.

Belichick is just holding on for the record. I doubt he could elevate anything.

Plus, I doubt he is a guy that Pegula would want.

Reactions: brian_griffin

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
I am just seeing parallels to the 2002 Bucaneers.

Dungy was a great coach. Turned the franchise around.

Didn't have much playoff success.

Tampa bay went out and got Gruden, and won a superbowl.

The greatest playoff coach of all time is sitting out there. The guy who is a perfect strategy and attention to details guy, something we lack.

Our special teams under Belichick will be outstanding. Our defense will be outstanding. We have a setup with an outstanding run game and two tight ends.

The talent is here. The setup is here. We can't go out and get a game breaking WR with our draft position.

I love McDermott....but there is a clear option here to push us to the next level. McDermott will get signed immediately to be a coach elsewhere. And he will probably will a championship somewhere eventually. But....our window is closing. It's time to go and get the greatest ever to do it to push us over the edge.
So detail oriented he went into the regular season with Matt Patricia and Joe Judge as his offensive coordinators.

And people keep bringing up Tony Dungy as some comparable. Dude coached Tampa Bay for six straight years, won the division once, missed the playoffs twice, lost in the Wild Card round twice, and left Tampa Bay with just two playoff wins. By comparison, McDermott has made the playoffs six out of the seven years he's coached in Buffalo, won the division for a fourth straight year, has five playoff wins to his credit and has only failed to advance beyond the Wild Card round twice.

For historical context, the year Gruden took over, the Bucs had to beat Jeff Garcia's 49ers, Donovan McNabb's Eagles, and Rich Ganon's Raiders.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
It is no longer financially unviable to shed Diggs' salary. Post June 1, but a cut or trade is no longer that painful. Dead money for sure, but cap savings as well.

Oh, and McDermott is not getting fired. Nor should he be. He coached well enough to win that game. Some key players were injured, others didn't make plats when they needed to.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It is no longer financially unviable to shed Diggs' salary. Post June 1, but a cut or trade is no longer that painful. Dead money for sure, but cap savings as well.

Oh, and McDermott is not getting fired. Nor should he be. He coached well enough to win that game. Some key players were injured, others didn't make plats when they needed to.
McD, Diggs, Miller (barring a suspension which I doubt happens), and Knox will all be back in 2024.

I think 12 months from now is when they have the ability to reboot things with bigger roster and coaching turnover.

This offseason will be about retooling at WR (outside of Diggs & Shakir), DL, and S.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I do believe that the Bills should actually take a look at OC candidates outside of Joe Brady as they go about satisfying the Rooney Rule and have to interview a minority candidate for the position.

Looking around and potentially going with this year's Eric Bieniemy (an OC that does not get to call plays and is looking for a better chance to earn a HC job). And if Bieniemy is available, they should definitely interview him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

28. Buffalo Bills

Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

I made a late change with this pick after I watched Josh Allen average 4.8 yards per attempt in the home loss to the Chiefs. His receivers struggled to get open and didn't make enough plays after the catch once they did. Stefon Diggs hasn't had a 100-yard game since mid-October, and Gabe Davis is now a free agent. General manager Brandon Beane can find a useful pass-catcher here.

The 6-foot-4 Mitchell broke out after transferring from Georgia, catching 55 passes for 845 yards and 11 scores for the Longhorns in 2023. He thrived on crossing routes, using his size and quickness to get separation from defenders. He has great hands. The position I almost went with? Nose tackle, because T'Vondre Sweat (Texas) could be a great fit in the middle of the Buffalo defense.
I could see Mitchell and Sweat both being guys the Bills are looking at.

But Allen, 27, said he isn't worried about the championship window closing.

"I believe in what we've got going on here and the people that are in charge," he said Monday. "I believe in myself. And that'll never change."

💯

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
My initial offseason thoughts for offense:

I think the big thing is to add some playmakers at WR. Players with speed and YAC ability. But the biggest thing is we just need a fresh take on the scheme, it has gotten stale. I'd love to see Brady (or whoever) really revamp this offense with a fresh playbook. Otherwise, I do not think we need to do a lot on offense. Resign Ty Johnson if possible would also be really nice, liked his play a lot

QB: Allen (restructure), let Kyle Allen walk. It may be time to draft a QB late as your backup (and then have someone like a Barkley in the QB room). But with so many roster spots to fill, I think you may wait on that a year. Maybe grab someone cheap like Blaine Gabbert if KC moves on from him.

RB: Cook. Cut Hines. Keep Murray if he will come back for minimum. I would really like to bring back Ty Johnson as the number 2 running back, and I think the Bills do too based on his late-season usage.

WR: Diggs and Shakir coming back as two of your top 3 WR options. Let Davis and Sherfield walk. Cut Harty. Shorter will be healthy and on the main roster. I really want three new WRs. A high end top draft pick, a later draft pick, and a veteran with speed.

TE: Kincaid and Knox are both going to be big parts of the team next year. Restructure knox as he isn't going anyway, despite what fans may want. Morris is fine as a number three if you want to resign him. Otherwise, minimum contract free agent for your third.

OL: Keep everyone you got and have the same five starters come back, and try to resign Edwards if he is cheap. But do something with Bates' contract like restructure it. But absolutely draft and OL at some point in the middle rounds.

Defense is a lot more complicated...

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My initial offseason thoughts for offense:

I think the big thing is to add some playmakers at WR. Players with speed and YAC ability. But the biggest thing is we just need a fresh take on the scheme, it has gotten stale. I'd love to see Brady (or whoever) really revamp this offense with a fresh playbook. Otherwise, I do not think we need to do a lot on offense. Resign Ty Johnson if possible woudl also be really nice, realyl liked his play.

QB: Allen (restructure), let Kyle Allen walk. It may be time to draft a QB late as your backup (and then have someone like a Barkley in the QB room). But with so many roster spots to fill, I think you may wait on that a year. Maybe grab someone cheap like Blaine Gabbert if KC moves on from him.

RB: Cook. Cut Hines. Keep Murray if he will come back for minimum. I would really like to bring by Ty Johnson as the number 2 running back, and I think the Bills do too based on his late-season usage.

WR: Diggs and Shakir coming back as two of your top 3 WR options. Let Davis and Sherfield walk. Cut Harty. Shorter will be healthy and on the main roster. I really want three new WRs. A high end top draft pick, a later draft pick, and a veteran with speed.

TE: Kincaid and Knox are both going to be big parts of the team next year. Restructure knox as he isn't going anyway, despite what fans may want. Morris is fine as a number three if you want to resign him. Otherwise, minimum contract free agent for your third.

OL: Keep everyone you got and have the same five starters come back, and try to resign Edwards if he is cheap. But do something with Bates' contract like restructure it. But absolutely draft and OL at some point in the middle rounds.
With a QB like Allen, having a veteran backup that is good in the QB room is more important than getting a kid in there. I fully expect the run of Josh Allen BFFs at backup QB to continue.

But, we shall see.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad