Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Trade Diggs to Dallas. He isn't special any more ,just get him off the books for a 5th.
Don't let 87 loose in the end zone and this is a different game.
Injuries caught us up , Pittsburgh started scoring at the half just like KC..
Bills just went toe to toe with a really good team and came up just short. Josh was great.We aren't a 2 seed without McD.. We ok boys. Let's see how Von comes back.. he had moments.
Cut Diggs loose. Air thief.
Diggs's contract is under water and the Bills cannot afford to trade him given that they are over $40M OVER the 2024 cap entering the offseason.

It is over $30M in 2024 dead cap to trade him before 6/1 and $9M in 2024 dead cap and $22M in 2025 dead cap to trade him after 6/1.

Neither is a realistic option.

The Bills have the same issue with guys like Von Miller and Dawson Knox right now. They are locked in because those contracts carry too much dead cap for the Bills to cut or trade them.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
That's not close to true. The Chiefs could easily have won in regulation anyhow.
KC had to punt once, and had 1:45 with two TOs. The FG pretty much didn't matter.

In fact while the Bills were still around the KC 30-40 (and this is unconventional but given how the game went this is my take), they should have remained with a 4 down mentality all the way until facing a 4th and forever scenario while in FG range. Short of a total desperation down, they should have kept the mentality of getting positive yds in any way on every down. 31-27 gives them a legit chance to win, a FG only really works if there's hardly any time left...and then you're still hoping to be lucky in OT.

It was salt in an open wound to go "wide right", but even as Bass lined up for the kick, the game was already lost because they backed themselves into a 4th and 9 with too much time left.

Last edited:

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Diggs's contract is under water and the Bills cannot afford to trade him given that they are over $40M OVER the 2024 cap entering the offseason.

It is over $30M in 2024 dead cap to trade him before 6/1 and $9M in 2024 dead cap and $22M in 2025 dead cap to trade him after 6/1.

The Bills have the same issue with guys like Von Miller and Dawson Knox right now. They are locked in because those contracts carry too much dead cap for the Bills to cut or trade them.
Which is why I think Beane needs to hold off on restructuring Von and Diggs. Go into next season with the two still on the roster, and after the season, no matter what, you cut bait in 2025 when the cap relief benefits really present themselves. Between Von, Diggs and Tre, the Bills will save themselves $25M. With zero restructures, in 2026, that savings turns to roughly $48M. But Beane absolutely cannot entertain restructuring their contracts again.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Trading or cutting Diggs is doable if Beane dedicates the organization to a hard reset. See below.

That means eating money in 2024 and moving on from there. He'd have to move on from White, Hines, Harty, Poyer, Neal, and Doyle, and re-structure Allen, Milano, Oliver, Knox, McGovern, and Bates.
I'm messing with Spotrac and seeing what can be done. I'd seriously look at a hard reset.

Restructure Allen, Knox, Milano, Oliver, McGovern, and Bates. Franchise QB and younger players who still have time with the team, so re-structures make sense.

Trade Diggs. Eat the $31M in the hard reset.

Release:

White: $10M cap hit, saved $6M
Hines: $500K cap hit, saved $5M
Harty: $1.3M cap hit, saved $4.2M
Poyer: $2M cap hit, saved $5.4M
Neal: $500k cap hit, saved $2.8M
Doyle: no real cap hit, saved $1M

Decide on Miller once his case plays out and if he ends up being suspended. Releasing him and Diggs the same year isn't possible. Maybe a restructure that would allow cap space in 2024 and then a release.

Reform the offense around Allen-to-Kincaid, and Cook running. Shakir is part of that too. Go more power football and pound teams. That's what was working late in the year. Kincaid becomes Allen's #1 receiver. Assets for receivers should be for X receivers with size and speed who can stretch coverages. The offensive line returns intact which will allow this to work.

Defense needs a full reset. They need another pass rusher, DTs, etc. Bills will be to spend picks here and go young.

See what happens in 2024 with a young team.
Then he'd have to fill the roster with draft picks (see below) and veteran minimum players. Think Beasley and Brown type additions to the practice squad last season. Nothing huge, just filling out a roster.
Early Bills mock draft using PFF's platform and then the PFF Big Board for later picks. I didn't take anyone outside of the PFF range. Despite my strong desire to draft offensive line to keep that unit strong, I went with need.

1 Kamren Kinchens S Miami, Fla.
2 Brendan Rice WR USC
3 McKinnley Jackson DT Texas A&M
4 Braiden McGregor DE Michigan
5. Beaux Limmer C Arkansas
5. Justin Rogers DT Auburn
6. James Williams S Miami, Fla.
6. Steve Linton DE Texas Tech
6. JJ Weaver DE Kentucky
7. Zion Nelson OT Miami, Fla.
If Beane does that, that saves $44M of 2025 cap space, plus whatever the re-structures eat up. That's also not including space that a rising cap brings.

So it's doable, but it requires an organizational commitment.

Whether Beane does it, that's another conversation.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Which is why I think Beane needs to hold off on restructuring Von and Diggs. Go into next season with the two still on the roster, and after the season, no matter what, you cut bait in 2025 when the cap relief benefits really present themselves. Between Von, Diggs and Tre, the Bills will save themselves $25M. With zero restructures, in 2026, that savings turns to roughly $48M. But Beane absolutely cannot entertain restructuring their contracts again.
Totally agreed.

We'll restructure Josh and free up ~$20M of cap that way. Could restructure Knox and free up another ~$6M.

Then extend and lower Dion's cap and Rasul's cap and Taron's cap.

Cut Tre, Harty, Hines -- that's another $14.5M.

I'd cut Poyer to save the ~5M in cap space, but that's me.

Morse to me is the big "WTF do we do" contract. We can cut him and save $8M on the cap. But do we trust Bates that much? We could extend him to lower his hit......but he's one concussion away from retirement.

I don't envy Beane here. He's going to earn his money this offseason.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Hearing talking heads and former players with high profile social media presence such as Dez Bryant, Emmanuel Acho, and Shannon Sharpe have just admonished Allen left and right today and say that Diggs "has to get outta there" is the most infuriating thing in the world.

Allen is held to a different standard than Lamar is with those guys and it's annoying when they say subjective stuff like this because they dislike Allen personally.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm not too disappointed. The injuries to the defense had me feeling iffy about this game, and it came to fruition. We saw Rudolph start to kill this defense once Bernard anr Benford went down. There was no way they were going to dominate the Chiefs, and unfortunately- the Chiefs have a good defense that was healthy.

On the flip side, the part that still burns is- we had the ball with under2 mins left in the 4th while in Chiefs territory to win the game. Allen's big moment, but it wasnt meant to be. I was a bit annoyed they went away from eating up clock for the big play. I believe that was on Allen.

Also, they shouldve went for it on 4th and 9. I understand that's probably not the right move 90% of the time, but with the injuries to the D and how easily the Chiefs were driving- Mahomes would've had the Chiefs in FG range for the win.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ultimately, when it comes down to it, Mahomes is just a little bit better than Allen.

The Chiefs are just a little bit better than the Bills.

We're like the Utah Jazz of the 1990s except the Chicago Bulls play in our conference and Mahomes isn't going to go on hiatus to play baseball.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Ultimately, when it comes down to it, Mahomes is just a little bit better than Allen.

We're like the Utah Jazz of the 1990s except the Chicago Bulls play in our conference and Mahomes isn't going to go on hiatus to play baseball.
Not just that. Reid is a better coach than McD. I think if Allen were on the Chiefs and Mahomes on the Bills- the results would be similar.

That's not a shot at McDermott, either. Reid is an elite head coach. One of the best offensive minds ever, and he's paired with Mahomes. McDermott is solid with potential for more. I think his moment will come if he ever has a healthy defense in January. He's been churning out talent on that side of the ball.

For once the saying 'there's always next year' doesn't feel like a slight. They're probably going to be a very good team again like they were last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc...

I think there's something to build on this year. Im intrigued by what they'll do this offseason. They may not have a lot of cap, but they do have a solid amount of draft picks, and Beane proving to be a very good drafter.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I agree the chiefs have a bit more of the postseason magic. Obviously

But Mahomes did not win that game for the chiefs. He had several opportunities to put the game away in the fourth quarter and came up with three scoreless possessions.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Totally agreed.

We'll restructure Josh and free up ~$20M of cap that way. Could restructure Knox and free up another ~$6M.

Then extend and lower Dion's cap and Rasul's cap and Taron's cap.

Cut Tre, Harty, Hines -- that's another $14.5M.

I'd cut Poyer to save the ~5M in cap space, but that's me.

Morse to me is the big "WTF do we do" contract. We can cut him and save $8M on the cap. But do we trust Bates that much? We could extend him to lower his hit......but he's one concussion away from retirement.

I don't envy Beane here. He's going to earn his money this offseason.
I feel like we could find a Morse replacement in the second-round. But then you have to dedicate the first to defense, because there's simply too much in flux on that side of the ball not to afford them a premium asset. And that's another year where we don't go WR (in a year where it could really pay off.)

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

The AFC is a whole is absolutely loaded in terms of QB talent. Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Burrow, Herbert, Stroud, Lawrence.

Meanwhile, the NFC is a wet noodle fight and their best QB is…Stafford?
Purdy is just a cog in the SF death machine, Love is ultra talented but still pretty young.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

Funny , so if tigers woods got fooked w in an alternate reality in the 97 masters handicapping all of the strokes of his lead on the last day and then when he played Sergio Garcia later that that outcome was altered by "personalized" winds and other miracles which blew tigers ball wide right at the end and missed the green would i now believe Sergio Garcia was just a little bit better than poor stoopid tiger .

No

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I have a hard time picturing the Pegulas being ok with a bit of a reset. It’s easy thinking, give this group another go.

What some of you guys are proposing isn’t a retool, but more of an overhaul. Moving on from 5-6 big starters is huge. I’m not against it, but I just don’t see it happening.

It’s easy for us loyal fans to say let’s take a step back one season so we can hopefully take 2 steps forward the following season.

I would hate to be BB this off-season. Lot of difficult decisions.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Hearing talking heads and former players with high profile social media presence such as Dez Bryant, Emmanuel Acho, and Shannon Sharpe have just admonished Allen left and right today and say that Diggs "has to get outta there" is the most infuriating thing in the world.

Allen is held to a different standard than Lamar is with those guys and it's annoying when they say subjective stuff like this because they dislike Allen personally.
It's a repulsive display of stupidity, and a total waste of bandwidth.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Face it , sports is dead when insecure elitest scum nearly a laugh but really a crime , try alter outcomes to provoke a response from the fishbowl owner that some believe a nightmare, in front of the clueless w douche mocking kelsay w wife , leveys progeny which probably started in buffalo w mckinley , to the Arizona then on 11 22 63 w tippet the only death , the lookalike w the collective cherry popped by tavistock and the beatles horsemen shortly after jd from police is whisked to city state of fake us dc w mr Baden Thru wag the kubrick thru 9 11 , to this shite reality we find ourselves emotionally attached . Like the groundhog we must endure another year of tech. Maybe we'll all collectively burn our phones w the altered food that makes us antenna to reality where we're all stupid and fat and parasited

Josh and company w McD are quite the freight train to derail

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

So the New York Knicks of the 90's 😉

Who I was also unfortunately a fan of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad