Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Every. Single. Game. Every game in the post season our D line disappears. They lose every year to a "weak" or "injured" o line. The D line got dominated by weak tackles this year, and dominated by a patchwork Bengals O line last year.
I can't believe they've been fine with keeping Eric Washington around for this long when we've gone through this song and dance every single year. The DL looks like world beaters against shitty o-lines, but get absolutely dominated by above average units. They put almost no pressure on the QB and get run over all the time. The amount of draft capital and free agent money they've sunk into it for next to zero ROI in the playoffs is absurd. This year's line alone:
-Giant contract for Von (yikes)
-DaQuan Jones (generally great, didn't do much yesterday)
-2 1sts + the extension for Ed (again, he was completely invisible in a playoff game against high-quality competition, as was Groot) and a 2nd round pick

And this has been a problem for ages. So either your pro scouting and drafting guys suck at finding impact d-linemen or your coach can't get enough of them to elevate their games.

Last edited:

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Anyone sitting around debating defense (as if Mahomes hasn’t shredded a healthy McDermott D twice in the playoffs) or special teams is missing the entire point.

Do you know what they actually needed to win that game?

One WR who could catch one ball down the field.

That’s it.

That player is not here because they invest relentlessly in depth for the defense.

Elam and Basham…had to have em. Can’t use a day one or two pick to give Allen a WR. No. Had to have em.

….

Until this philosophy changes…the result will not change. McDermott has had THREE tries doing it his way. He failed three times.

Offense. Offense. Offense.

Do you know how many games they’ve lost by more than one score in the last two years including playoffs?

one.

Defense is keeping you goddamned close enough. Get the one more score. Stop trying to prevent points and go dictate the game. Get a f***ing Wide Receiver. Because it sure as hell looks like you actually need two. Waited so long to get a second quality outside receiving option we appear to be at freaking zero.
It already did.

Last year.

With Dalton Kincaid and Cyrus O'Torrence.

They literally did the exact thing you're complaining about them not doing. What world am I living in? JFC.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
After a night of wallowing, I’ve decided its time to move on from McDermott. Hes had 4-5 seasons with Josh Allen and has not really been close with him. Especially With Vrabel and Belichek out there, i think its time to set a true standard in the locker room. I don’t think it will happen but thats where im at.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
As much as I hate to use excuses here, in the end, it was the defensive injuries that did them in. I won't include the White injury because they replaced him with Douglas, so it's a bit of a wash there. But Milano, Benard, Benford, Rapp and Davis was simply too much. Find me a team missing 5 starters, 4 of them on defense, and see how many playoff games they win. And Buffalo almost still won.

Part of me is angry that we couldn't close from the 20 yard line at the 2 minute mark, but, the reality is, we should have won that game going away if we get 1 stop earlier in the game. They were able to drive down the field on us without regard for the entire first half. If we were able to hit one of those deep shots, we win. If we were able to put any sort of defense to limit Kelce, we win. Why didn't we have those? Because our linebacker core was decimated by injuries. Why couldn't we hit a deep shot? Because our best deep route runner was injured.

I think there is blame to go around, but the reality of it is, injuries played a huge role here. And it f***ing sucks seeing probably our best chance at a trophy get pissed away.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Their entire OL was injured and Mahomes was running for his life the whole game, although against the Bills DL in the playoffs, you could put out five blocking sleds and be fine.
It was still good defense. TB got beat by KC earlier in the season by playing to Bowles preferred blitzing style. In SB 55, he played more base, took the deep throws away. It was only two of KC's OL that was injured. Mahomes was running around in part because he couldn't find anyone deep, and was too stubborn to play a check-down offense.

Yesterday the DL didn't create enough pressure or stop the run, and back-ups couldn't hold their own. Injuries finally caught up, and Buffalo was actually lucky to even have a chance at the end. Even if Bass made that FG, KC easily goes down the field for a game winning score with 1:45 left and two TOs.

KC's defense took away the deep stuff for the most part. That's the MO against Buffalo - make them string together multiple plays, nickel and dime. KC has a really good defense with one of the best DCs in the game, and Buffalo still should have had 27 pts. The Bills defense forced one punt all day, that says it all.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
As much as I hate to use excuses here, in the end, it was the defensive injuries that did them in. I won't include the White injury because they replaced him with Douglas, so it's a bit of a wash there. But Milano, Benard, Benford, Rapp and Davis was simply too much. Find me a team missing 5 starters, 4 of them on defense, and see how many playoff games they win. And Buffalo almost still won.

Part of me is angry that we couldn't close from the 20 yard line at the 2 minute mark, but, the reality is, we should have won that game going away if we get 1 stop earlier in the game. They were able to drive down the field on us without regard for the entire first half. If we were able to hit one of those deep shots, we win. If we were able to put any sort of defense to limit Kelce, we win. Why didn't we have those? Because our linebacker core was decimated by injuries. Why couldn't we hit a deep shot? Because our best deep route runner was injured.

I think there is blame to go around, but the reality of it is, injuries played a huge role here. And it f***ing sucks seeing probably our best chance at a trophy get pissed away.
That sums it up. I hoped the defense could still hold up, but injuries matter when it's that many in one game, against KC. Hell, TB lost any chance of beating Det late when their starting CB went down, and the back-up got torched for three big passes including the game winning TD.

McDermott has done a phenomenal job with the defense after taking over for Frazier, but some of those guys playing yesterday just aren't capable against a top offense. It was too much to overcome.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
A first year OC does not win a Superbowl, period. They were doomed from the start, Dorsey sucked. Brady seems intelligent and attacks weaknesses well, but I think he is severely limited by this WR group. Shakir and who? no one. Diggs is invisible every playoffs. All the good WR will 100% be gone round 1 by 28. No money to buy FA WR either.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
The bills are most likely the second best team these last four years overall. They are just unlucky enough to be good at the same time as the better chiefs. We have our manning, and they absolutely have their Brady.

Hopefully Allen gets a Super Bowl at one point
Worst part is that McDermott played a big role in giving them their Brady.

New Orleans was ready to draft Mahomes at #11. The AFC would look a WHOLE lot different if the Bills didn’t make that trade with the chiefs.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
They have a great chance of winning if Allen takes the crossing route on 2nd down and just takes the first instead of going for it all.

You're spouting weapons grade bullshit. As usual. It was a coin flip game that they happened to come up short on.

They scored more points per possession than any team in the entire NFL averaged over the course of the season, with no turnovers and poor field position, and you're ranting about "scoring more".

You'd twist literally anything McDermott said into being "why he can't do it" or "why he sucks". You're a disingenuous little prick who deserved the Bills drought years and deserves them to go back to those days. Hopefully leadership is smarter than you and your little sect of screaming morons.
Which crossing route play are you referring to? Which drive?

What I find frustrating about the Bills offense is that they go for super long passes a lot and while those are great when they work, they seem to be low percentage plays that also cost possessions because all of a sudden it's 3rd and long. I wish they moved the ball with higher percentage plays and then made their deep shots count more. But I'm no analytics guy or knowledgeable at all. I just get so frustrated when the offense stalls, and picking up 5-10 yards on a play consistently seems like a way better strategy than going for huge chunk plays but punting some of the time.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Which crossing route play are you referring to? Which drive?

What I find frustrating about the Bills offense is that they go for super long passes a lot and while those are great when they work, they seem to be low percentage plays that also cost possessions because all of a sudden it's 3rd and long. I wish they moved the ball with higher percentage plays and then made their deep shots count more. But I'm no analytics guy or knowledgeable at all. I just get so frustrated when the offense stalls, and picking up 5-10 yards on a play consistently seems like a way better strategy than going for huge chunk plays but punting some of the time.

Very last drive, last series of downs before the FG attempt. 2nd and 9. Diggs is WIDE open on a crossing route going full speed from around the Chiefs 25 yard line. He easily gets the first down, nobody is within 6 yards of him at all.

New set of downs to burn the clock, probly from around the 17 yard line. Instead Allen went to the endzone and missed Shakir.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

Over $40M over the cap and lots of holes to fill.

Beane has his work cut out for himself this offseason.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Very last drive, last series of downs before the FG attempt. 2nd and 9. Diggs is WIDE open on a crossing route going full speed from around the Chiefs 25 yard line. He easily gets the first down, nobody is within 6 yards of him at all.

New set of downs to burn the clock, probly from around the 17 yard line. Instead Allen went to the endzone and missed Shakir.
Ok just watched that play. Yeah Diggs was open and would have let them burn more clock.

I would like the Bills to hit those underneath guys more consistently and push the ball downfield less.

Reactions: Selanne00008

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

The defensive line was healthy and made zero impact plays. Same as last season's playoffs Divisional Round against the Bengals. That is problematic.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY

New set of downs to burn the clock, probly from around the 17 yard line. Allen went to the endzone and missed Shakir.
Yup. They have a chance to win the game if they milk the clock out and take the underneath throws that were there. That is how they started that drive, and it was working. Then Allen can't help himself and goes for the deep shot twice in that final drive. Even if they score, that gives Mahomes a ton of time to drive the field and score a TD. It was the wrong approach, either by the coaches or by Allen.

Last night, I was trying to figure out why I never got excited when something good happened, nor upset when something bad happened. I went to bed satisfied after the loss, which I didn't really understand. After some reflection, it's pretty simple: I don't trust Allen or this coaching group to make the right decisions. Allen will continue to undermine his immense talent with poor decision making. He sees something shiny, and he is going to go for it, even if it takes him careening over a bridge. For the 20% of times that it works, everyone is praising him for his genius, but it doesn't make it the right call.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

Taking the check down to Digs was the right play there, but it's understandable that Josh had stopped looking for Diggs at that point in the game. Diggs was 3 of 8 on the night and the previous 3 attempts to Diggs were incomplete. I'd stop looking his way too.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
4 times in that game they had the play looked

Sherfield cant hold a ball that hits him in the hands
Sherfield cant snag a ball he gets his hands on
Diggs has a ball go through his hands
Allen gets bumped during his release and misses the end zone throw

either 1 of them is a game changer

but we spent money failing to fix a dline and gave dawson knox money for reasons, so no OBJ or D Hops, and Diggs has been trying to play hurt for about 14 weeks now

that dline and big snub ed oliver couldnt get pressure and couldnt stop pecheco, von miller might have been the best dline and he wasnt any good either

but what takeaway are you supposed to make, both starting corners are out, both starting lbs are out, you have AJ Klein trying to cover Kelce and when you rotate into different coverages, you get run all over because the dline is invisible again

Reactions: Ace and buffa dud

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Spotrac has a podcast about the Bills off-season. News ain't good. Just getting compliant requires some clever finagling. Daquan and AJ are gone. Best possible scenario, Von Miller gets suspended and frees up $10mill. Extensions to Dion and Taron, as well as cash conversions for Josh, and a couple Tweeks with Mitch and Connor, and cutting Hines and Hardy gets them compliant enough to sign draft picks. No chance of adding to the roster anything significant in FA.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think it’s important to breathe and understand we have a franchise QB and a top 5 or so roster…we will be a contender. That’s all we can ask for as fans.

This will be a fun off-season. Looking forward to thoughts from @Husko @Zman5778 @Der Jaeger and many others as always.

I’m excited to type out my initial thoughts soon, it’ll be a good off-season

Reactions: Husko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad