Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The situation with McD reminds me of Coach For Life Generalisimo Marvin with my Bengals: Given how completely incompetent the owner is even if you should look for a replacement he's probably going to be the best you will do (anyone remember the Rex Ryan Clown Show???).

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The situation with McD reminds me of Coach For Life Generalisimo Marvin with my Bengals: Given how completely incompetent the owner is even if you should look for a replacement he's probably going to be the best you will do (anyone remember the Rex Ryan Clown Show???).
The difference between the Sabres and Bills is that if the Bills job became available it is the without question #1 job available and you can have anyone you’d like. You don’t have to search out quality candidates. They’ll be pounding down the door to coach Josh Allen.

The Sabres are the worst job in any sport.

Reactions: BFLO

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Except McDermott has been here for a fraction of the time and the team has a ton of success—they haven’t been mediocre

Reactions: buffa dud

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I think it’s important to breathe and understand we have a franchise QB and a top 5 or so roster…we will be a contender. That’s all we can ask for as fans.

This will be a fun off-season. Looking forward to thoughts from @Husko @Zman5778 @Der Jaeger and many others as always.

I’m excited to type out my initial thoughts soon, it’ll be a good off-season
This is not a top 5 roster. It's a mediocre at best roster with the 2nd best QB in the NFL carrying them.

The team has no cap space to make additions this offseason.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
This is not a top 5 roster. It's a mediocre at best roster with the 2nd best QB in the NFL carrying them.

The team has no cap space to make additions this offseason.

Well, by virtually any measurement they are top 5 (wins, point differential, dvoa) and that’s so with a TON of injuries.

But, that’s like your opinion man.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Tyler Bass is a trash kicker. Below average all year and two of five in the playoffs. All of our WR are trash including Diggs. Problem is Diggs and Bass have contracts that will make it hard to move on

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
A reminder that this isn’t just about injuries on D and that Mahomes has thrashed every McDermott D in the playoffs

Rebuild it and let him try again?

Stupidity

Absolutely criminal to ignore this when you get the QB.

You wonder why we don’t get over the hump? This is why

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's got to go and not just because of thst miss...He sucks.
100% agree.

Ok just watched that play. Yeah Diggs was open and would have let them burn more clock.

I would like the Bills to hit those underneath guys more consistently and push the ball downfield less.
Shakir was open in the end zone. We needed to score. Allen didn’t make a bad decision there at all. He just needed 0.5 seconds more of clean pocket time to get the throw off, and his o-line couldn’t give it to him on that play.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Well, by virtually any measurement they are top 5 (wins, point differential, dvoa) and that’s so with a TON of injuries.

But, that’s like your opinion man.
Yes. The team is top 5 by virtually any metric, because Josh Allen carries them there.

The roster with starting QB excluded is mediocre at best.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I need to chew on this more. But, I am leaning towards we make the difficult cuts for 2024 and move towards a one year clean slate kind of logic. Start fresh in 2025.

Still compete in 2024, maybe lightning in a bottle. We do have more than enough draft picks so.
Plus we could get even more comp picks for 2025.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm messing with Spotrac and seeing what can be done. I'd seriously look at a hard reset.

Restructure Allen, Knox, Milano, Oliver, McGovern, and Bates. Franchise QB and younger players who still have time with the team, so re-structures make sense.

Trade Diggs. Eat the $31M in the hard reset.

Release:

White: $10M cap hit, saved $6M
Hines: $500K cap hit, saved $5M
Harty: $1.3M cap hit, saved $4.2M
Poyer: $2M cap hit, saved $5.4M
Neal: $500k cap hit, saved $2.8M
Doyle: no real cap hit, saved $1M

Decide on Miller once his case plays out and if he ends up being suspended. Releasing him and Diggs the same year isn't possible. Maybe a restructure that would allow cap space in 2024 and then a release.

Reform the offense around Allen-to-Kincaid, and Cook running. Shakir is part of that too. Go more power football and pound teams. That's what was working late in the year. Kincaid becomes Allen's #1 receiver. Assets for receivers should be for X receivers with size and speed who can stretch coverages. The offensive line returns intact which will allow this to work.

Defense needs a full reset. They need another pass rusher, DTs, etc. Bills will be to spend picks here and go young.

See what happens in 2024 with a young team.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Re: the D line, neither team could really get pressure because both teams ran the ball so well against the other's front 7 - that's where the injuries in the middle killed us.

Still, we had 2nd and 9 at the 2 minute warning from KC's 26 down 3 (and KC already down a timeout). I think pretty much every poster here would have taken that at the start of the game given the defensive injuries. Game in the offense's hands and they just didn't come through.

Also still super frustrating their WR's basically played the game of their season against us - when MVS brought in that deep ball to start the 2nd half I knew our banged up defense didn't have a chance.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yes. The team is top 5 by virtually any metric, because Josh Allen carries them there.

The roster with starting QB excluded is mediocre at best.
Cook and Kincaid are legit. We have a solid O-line. Our D gave up the second fewest TD's. Top 5 in Int's. Top 5 in sacks.

The roster is absolutely not mediocre. Our biggest weapon on Offense didn't show up. Our biggest weapon on Defense didn't either. Sprinkle in how many starters were out and it's a surprise we didn't get blown out this game.

Josh needs more weapons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I'm actually pretty content with most of the offense. I think going WR relateively early would probably be a good thing, but the majority of holes are on the defensive side, so that's probably where the majority of picks are going to go to. With the o-line and Knox/Kincaid/Cook, they should be able to pick up right where they left off with the running game and possession passing game.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm actually pretty content with most of the offense. I think going WR relateively early would probably be a good thing, but the majority of holes are on the defensive side, so that's probably where the majority of picks are going to go to. With the o-line and Knox/Kincaid/Cook, they should be able to pick up right where they left off with the running game and possession passing game.
IMO, they desperately need a John Brown/Emmanuel Sanders type #2 WR who can effectively work the intermediate and deep parts of the field with a blend of route running and speed, especially if the Stef of the past 8 weeks is just who he is now as a player, and better depth at the position, too. Would prefer one early swing at WR and one late in the draft.

Considering Hyde and Poyer were almost universally considered JAGs before arriving in Buffalo, I'm hoping McBeane can grab a couple similarly unheralded players to be the safeties of the future and get decent production out of them.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Early Bills mock draft using PFF's platform and then the PFF Big Board for later picks. I didn't take anyone outside of the PFF range. Despite my strong desire to draft offensive line to keep that unit strong, I went with need.

1 Kamren Kinchens S Miami, Fla.
2 Brendan Rice WR USC
3 McKinnley Jackson DT Texas A&M
4 Braiden McGregor DE Michigan
5. Beaux Limmer C Arkansas
5. Justin Rogers DT Auburn
6. James Williams S Miami, Fla.
6. Steve Linton DE Texas Tech
6. JJ Weaver DE Kentucky
7. Zion Nelson OT Miami, Fla.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Angry much????? They spent a 1st round pick on a pass catcher which was nice but it wasn't what they needed. They needed a deep threat WR with speed. Last night they made no plays over 20 yards and had to play perfect to drive down the field.

Great they had a high scoring offense in the regular season but again come playoffs they struggle.

As far as your post about people deserving to see the Bills winning after seeing this from last night I lost all respect for Bills Mafia.

Please, any fanbase would have a bunch of fans throwing snowballs in that situation.

Reactions: buffa dud

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Trade Diggs to Dallas. He isn't special any more ,just get him off the books for a 5th.
Don't let 87 loose in the end zone and this is a different game.
Injuries caught us up , Pittsburgh started scoring at the half just like KC..
Bills just went toe to toe with a really good team and came up just short. Josh was great.We aren't a 2 seed without McD.. We ok boys. Let's see how Von comes back.. he had moments.
Cut Diggs loose. Air thief.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Shakir was open in the end zone. We needed to score. Allen didn’t make a bad decision there at all. He just needed 0.5 seconds more of clean pocket time to get the throw off, and his o-line couldn’t give it to him on that play.
Yeah, I don't mean any specific play exactly, it's just that the offense pushes the ball downfield so much and those are low percentage plays and often result in falling behind script. For example, in the 2nd quarter 10-6 possession where on 2nd down they take a deep shot to Sherfield and miss and then have to punt after failing to convert the 3rd down. I'd like to see them prioritize higher percentage plays like runs and short passes etc. Prioritize 1st downs. Take less deep shots downfield. Build longer drives and punish defenses and wear them down. Make things easier on Josh Allen. Build a run game, commit to running the ball often, and let the skill players get chunk plays from YAC instead of deep throws over the top of defenders.

But like I said - I have no actual football knowledge - I just think that consistently moving the ball 5-10 yards down the field is a more reliable offense than going for big throws which often are "so close" but end up just an incomplete pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad