Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Triple layer on feet only works if your boots are big enough to still let air circulate around. If it's too snug of a fit....air can't circulate and the cold air just gets trapped.
I usually go with a tight wool sock to avoid chafing, a thicker sock (stabdard skiing set up) and the third one is basically a giant wool mitten/puffy leg warmer that is really airy and allows for air pockets. Digits are an inconvenience in the cold.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Buying a merino underlayer overall as first layer has been the best investment of my life (aclima warm wool, should be able to find something similar in the states). Complete game changer compared to two piece underlayers. Maybe you have a great set already but for a game like that I'd make sure to have a good solution.

I'd go triple layer on feet.
Smartwool makes great wool base layers. Most any merino wool product REI carries is gonna be good quality.

I'd say if you have good snow boots you probably only need a good, thick pair of wool socks (Darn Tough and Smartwool are the best imo). You can also get wool socks liners for added warmth with very little added bulk.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Triple layer on feet only works if your boots are big enough to still let air circulate around. If it's too snug of a fit....air can't circulate and the cold air just gets trapped.

An old trick from my father that always seemed to work - bring a couple of doubled up paper grocery bags. Open them and put your feet inside. Don't crumble them closed or anything, just have them as something to have encasing your feet. It was amazing how well they worked as just a minor wind break - and I used to have a double sock layer and snow boots when we were going to games - to keep from losing warmth.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
When we were kids we had plastic bags for our feet/boots and if "lucky" long john underwear :D
I would probably have been dead with that set up as a kid. Like grocery store plastic bags?

Our school busdriver was a drunk, a futile wait in -29 fahrenheit was esoecially terrible. I remember breaking of my frozen eyelashes and hair.
I'm guessing my messed up lungs comes from waiting in the cold almost every morning, I grew up in the middle of nowhere Sweden so when I reached my teens I had a 2 hour trip to school with a 30 minute wait at a desolate crossroads. It was painful in winter.
I never want to be cold like that again.

Bills game is probably way better though with all the jumping up and down.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Looks like we're gonna have to play 11v12 this week...

Bills are 1-3 lifetime with Hochuli as head ref, including his first ever game as official: a 47-3 Raven throttling on opening day of 2018. All 4 games were road games; Hochuli has never been head referee in Buffalo.

The only time he was even on a crew that worked a game in Buffalo? The snow game against Indianapolis in 2017.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Once the Bills made the playoffs, My wife wanted to plan a Vegas trip for Feb 11th.
After seeing the cost of tickets (we knew we would likely go to a Super Bowl party somewhere in Vegas, not to the game itself given the cost of tickets), she course-corrected last week and bought plane tickets on Southwest to BUF for this coming w/e.
If the Steelers won, we would have applied them to another trip to another destination.
After the Steelers lost, she bought tickets to Chiefs game.
My birthday is this coming Sunday.
I told her the Sabres play a matinee on Saturday, so we grabbed a pair of those tickets as well.

We get our (meager this year) bonus on Feb 23rd. We usually use our bonus to pay what we still owe on our Fed and State income taxes.

If necessary, I'll work another month or two to cover the net cost of the trip (vs. the differential savings and growth it would earn in the few years before retirement).

I'm more worried about her boots being inadequate for the projected near-zero-degree game temp. I have all kinds of cold-weather gear, but my feet are Mens 13 EEE or EEEE, hers are Women's 10.5, so too big a difference for her to wear a pair of mine.

I'm sure I'll see several of you at the game. I'll be the guy in the knit Bill's ski hat.
If you end up going to Vegas that weekend give me a call. Staying at Paris.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The only bright side to it is that his history shows that screwing us like he did was about helping Philly...and they won’t be there.

Its still a gigantic joke to let a guy who reffed THAT GAME ref this one.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
2-3 feet of more snow coming to Buffalo area, but through Thursday so hopefully they can clear the stadium again. :rolleyes:

Romo said something about it and Michael's must of been told by the producers to skip it, he abruptly changed the subject.

View attachment 804507

Something something Diggs is unhappy in Buffalo something something he wants to be on the Steelers where they have a real coach and QB something something

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The internet hates Josh Allen and the Bills. It was inevitable, but it still kinda sucks. And Steelers fans being such incredible pissbabies is a real eye opener.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Do your wife a favor and buy a 16 pack of hand/feet warmers on Amazon. Ya know the ones you shake/crack to react. Stuff those suckers in your boots and in your gloves if they will fit. Crack some fresh ones at half time. My poor circulation would def need those. My face/core/etc. can be fine in the elements. It's those fingers and toes lol.
I've had several work colleagues offer their extra crushable exothermic chemical heater packs. We also have some (somewhere) just need to find them. Need to figure out if they are transportable on a plane as well, in either carry-on or checked luggage. If not, we'll get some in BUF if needed.
Buying a merino underlayer overall as first layer has been the best investment of my life (aclima warm wool, should be able to find something similar in the states). Complete game changer compared to two piece underlayers. Maybe you have a great set already but for a game like that I'd make sure to have a good solution.

I'd go triple layer on feet.
Not worried about anything except for her feet. Plenty of warm everything else for both of us, and I routinely spend time in the PA Alleghenies during outdoor winters so I've maintained my methods and cold tolerance even after leaving WNY years ago. Way easier to dress for the cold than "beat the heat".
I would probably have been dead with that set up as a kid. Like grocery store plastic bags?

Our school busdriver was a drunk, a futile wait in -29 fahrenheit was esoecially terrible. I remember breaking of my frozen eyelashes and hair.
I'm guessing my messed up lungs comes from waiting in the cold almost every morning, I grew up in the middle of nowhere Sweden so when I reached my teens I had a 2 hour trip to school with a 30 minute wait at a desolate crossroads. It was painful in winter.
I never want to be cold like that again.

Bills game is probably way better though with all the jumping up and down.
The "trick" in the 1970s were bread wrappers, or bread loaf bags. You slipped them on over your (1 or 2) pairs of socks so the ensemble would slide into your (typically unlined or maybe thin felt lined) winter boots (in the pre-hi-tech era) and keep your feet "dry" from the nastiness wicking / soaking its way through.
No Thinsulate or equivalents. Just socks and breadwrappers to keep you warm / dry. And you'd carry your skates tied together and slung over your neck with your stick in one hand and your shovel in the other to the neighborhood rink erected by the city with 2x10's flooded from a fire hydrant. You'd change into the skates, tucking the bread wrappers in your boots left in a snow bank, then shovel the ice in your skates (with everyone else who showed up), then it would be "game on".

Our Saturday Sabres tickets are 2nd row upper deck visitor side. Hoping wind not a factor. Body heat from the crowd will be helpful (I've been to several games over the past 35 years from late Nov through Christmas/New Years without issue. Snow, cold, or both, matter not to me.

I fondly remember my late father on regular winter occasions taking trash cans (galvanized, heavier cylindrical cans, pre-90-gal square rollaway) out to the curb on Tuesday nights for Wednesday AM pickup in bare feet, walking over whatever ice or hard-pack snow was in the driveway.
Must be genetic.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
The internet hates Josh Allen and the Bills. It was inevitable, but it still kinda sucks. And Steelers fans being such incredible pissbabies is a real eye opener.
Consistently good teams become hated teams. Everyone loved Mahomes and Allen a few years ago, but now the internet hates them. We all have had to endure games where commentators trip over themselves to worship at the altar of the all star quarterback. It’s exhausting.

I’ll take the hate and mute the commentators.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Looks like we're gonna have to play 11v12 this week...

I'd love to see his crew's tendencies home vs away. Plenty of NFL refs really lean into home cooking.

And if the Bills get some homer calls, we might get to see Mahomes have a melt down ala Pickens on Monday.

Update:

Hochuli's crew has been above average in home cooking this season with below average penalty% against the home team and an above average home team winning%.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, my feet were in good shape on Monday.

Here is what I had there:

Pro Stock Bills Game Socks + Columbia Boot Socks

My boots were a big key: Sorel Caribou XT

The rest of it was just your normal layers. I had long johns + sweatpants + heavy-ish Bauer Hockey Coaching Pants and breathable tee + The Josh Allen Experience longsleeve + Billieve Nike Hoodie + ski jacket. And I went with mittens instead of gloves. And a New Era Bills 2022 sideline beanie on my bald head. I do wish they had had a speed metal guitarist doing the anthem. :laugh:

About the only thing that I was missing was something to cover my face. Thankfully I could zip up my jacket and it did the job for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad